House insurance Canada

Kyle39
Level 1
Calgary, Canada

House insurance Canada

Hey All,

I am having trouble finding insurance companines in Canada that will cover me if I do an airbnb, can anyone advise an insurance company that worked for them in Canada.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Kyle

7 Replies 7
Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

@Kyle39 We have Lloyds of London through a broker. It is "tourist home" insurance. Please note that this insurance will cover liability claims and risks such as fire, but will not cover vandalism.

Hey Monica,

Do you recall which mortgage broker you used to get the insurance? I tried to the Lloyd's website but am not having any luck finding someone I can talk to about coverage.

Does it not cover vandalism in general or just for airbnb guest that vandalize? Does the policy cover theft?

Thanks Kim

Unlikely you would have full theft, best you could expect is theft resulting from forcible and violent entry.

David
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Kyle39 We're in Calgary too & got insurance through Premier Insurance. It actually was the only one our broker found that would cover us for short term rentals, all the others balked as soon as they heard "Airbnb". We had to get a business insurance policy & it's 3 times more than what we were paying for regular home owner's insurance but it fully covers us. Hope that helps - Karen

Janine3
Level 6
Toronto, Canada

For anybody still looking for homeowner's insurance that is not voided by doing short term rentals (I'm talking about providers like TD Insurance) .... 

SONNET. https://www.sonnet.ca/about-us .  GREAT experience arranging coverage through them. They are easy to work with, great coverage, excellent rates.  OK with AirBnb, short-term rentals. 

You're welcome!

I'm checking into SONNET but they do not cover vandalism. 

Do any of these others cover vandalism? Or do you just use a security deposit?