House parties and general security

Linda233
Level 2
Carmichael, CA

House parties and general security

You might have heard about the recent shooting at a house party in Sacramento.  Well AirBnB says they are suing the guest who booked it and removed them from the sight. This is laughable.  I live within a few miles of this and these bookings are a constant battle. Most book with a fake profile with just a cell phone. Since you can't see pictures or a full name I have had bookings from Princess Leia, Sean Puffy Pimpdaddy, Angel Baby and others. Despite trying for the highest security insta book still let's them book and if you turn it off and deny their reservations you get in trouble for too many even though I have gotten 3 or more requests a week from these problem profiles. I'm posting the article about this and though it is long at the bottom it says Airbnb is frustrated by this.  Then why don't they go back to their old security measures and not put hosts in a bad position. https://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article244905057.html

3 Replies 3

@Linda233  Have you tried setting a longer minimum stay - 3 nights, for example?  And how about a House Rule against unregistered guests?

I'm not quite sure what's going on with your IB settings. We do often hear about glitches, but if you require positive reviews and verified ID, these phony profiles should only be able to submit a request. You don't get "in trouble" for declining them (the Acceptance Rate is calculated as a Basic Requirement but it's not enforced). But if a huge percentage of your requests are inappropriate, your parameters are probably a big part of the problem.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Linda233 Considering it seems like you are surrounded by too many "Princess Leia, Sean Puffy Pimpdaddy and Angel Baby" lying in the nearby bushes, perhaps it's best you do not go the IB route, considering the program appears to have too many existing glitches.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I don't think I've had too many problems with my IB parameters being bypassed, but then I host long-term guests and it's unusual for them to IB. The normally prefer to ask some questions first.

However, I did get an IB from a guest whose Govt ID was not showing as verified, which is one of my requirements. When asked, the guest said she had tried to upload it but it hadn't worked. I asked Airbnb. They said that the ID had not been verified because the photos didn't match her profile pic. Well, why was she able to IB my listing then? Erm, well the rep couldn't explain that at all...

Anyway, I didn't cancel her because she sent me scans of the ID and it all looked in order. However, I wish I had done as she was one of my worst ever guests and the only one I've ever evicted.

Lesson learnt.