House rules

Jeanette37
Level 3
Traralgon, Australia

House rules

I have found the whole hosting experience overall positive but I continue to be frustrated by guests ignoring my house rules.  For example I have a big sign on the back of my front door that states that on check-out I expect things to be put back where they were if they've been moved, adjusted, unplugged, etc.  As I've said to a few guests (not the bad ones, lol) staying in someone's house is NOT like staying in a motel.  Rules are there to be observed because it's generally what the host wants and to a certain extent it takes into account safety and security aspects.  It's very inconsiderate for them to just treat the place however they like.  So, my point is if they don't can I impose a fine on them?  Is this unreasonable?  How do other people feel about guests ignoring the rules?  I feel if I charge a fine then it will make them realise how important it is that my place is returned to normality at the very least for me.  I'm thinking it could be on a bond basis, ie take the money upfront (with full disclosure of course) and refund it if I'm happy that they've left the place in an acceptable condition.

19 Replies 19
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeanette37Even my friends who come to stay don't put things back where or the way they found them. Being a very detail oriented person myself, I find this hard to understand, but I have learned that most people are not like me. It just doesn't register with them that they took a dish from a certain shelf, they put it back in a completely different place. I've learned to ease up on my control freak nature.

It isn't reasonable to expect guests to leave things EXACTLY as they found them. The only reason I can see for guests to unplug things, is that there aren't enough plugs for your stuff and their chargers, etc. Plug a power bar or two with multiple plugs, into an outlet so there are empty outlets in convenient places for the guests to plug their stuff in, without having to unplug yours, and point out those empty plugs and ask them to please not unplug anything of yours.

Hi Sarah.  Thanks for this.  I'm not a control freak.  I was brought up to put things back they way they're found as it is common courtesy to whoever "keeps" the house.  Parents expect that with children in the household it's almost inevitable that they're not going to toe the line where this rule is concerned but one expects better from adults.  I don't see why my guests should be exempt just because they pay.  It's my home and I want it to remain as the space I live in and sometimes share with others.  I know that I don't have enough power points in my place and this I can only assume is the reason why I'm finding things unplugged but I can't afford to have extra ones installed so they're just going to have to put up with the ones I've got.  My units is about 35 years old and needs a lot of things doing to it to modernise it and that's just for me.  There are plenty of power boards around the place permanently and I do point these out as ones that can be used but they seem to have an obsession with using the ones most convenient at the time.  I don't know that I can ask them not to unplug anything, I think that would be pushing my luck!

Jeanette37
Level 3
Traralgon, Australia

Hello Sarah, thanks for this but I have my expectations and standards and if they come into my home I ask that they leave the place as they found it as that is what I want, particularly as I don't want a "bomb" to come home to (I live "elsewhere" for some of the week due to work commitments - I don't have a choice).  I know full well that every guest is different but if they follow my house rules and leave the place in the desired way then I'm happy.  I don't care that some are lazy, arrogant or careless, it is my home and they must respect it.  It is NOT like staying in a motel and they can't do what they want.  After all if you get a job, you must follow the rules of the workplace as that's, to a certain extent, what the boss wants.  It's also to ensure that safety procedures are followed in certain places.  If you don't tow the line there, depending on the situation, you're out and it should be the case as you're recklessness can cause problems for others.  By the way, I do provide extra power points by way of a power board (or 2 or 3) around the place.  It's just that they're lazy and won't go to the trouble of using the ones that are provided or they want them specifically in the bedroom.  I will, when I can afford it, have extra power points installed throughout my unit as that's what I want for myself.  As for being a control freak, would you say the same to your boss's face, expecting them to "chill" because you think they're overreacting and not lose your job?  No, I expect not. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Jeanette37

Do you think a review that says "Control Freak" will limit future opportunities or will it help you get the guests that you desire?

That is the question.

Hey Paul!

I have found that most folks who have problems with my "control freakishness" are people I would not have wanted to rent to. So now I know if someone starts pressing and nit picking about house rules or established fees they are not someone I want staying in my house.  I kindly inform them that Serenity is not a good fit for their needs and I'm sure another property in the area will be more commodious. 😉

The last time I did't listen to my inner filter my guest, who was all  "We had such a great time!! You have such a great place!!" Dinged me because I didn't have 14 beds. I have never claimed to have 14 beds. Only 10.  Kings being understood to accommodate 2 people and stated as such.