what do I do after my House trashed by a minor guest

Answered!
Malalai0
Level 4
Longueuil, Canada

what do I do after my House trashed by a minor guest

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my story and ask for some advice. 

The guest approached me by saying he want to throw a party around 30 people. He normally do this at home but there's guest at his home. He said they are all responsible and will take care of the house. I accepted him with a special offer and with additional rules. Before leaving the house to the guest, I took a video of the house. When the guest arrived, he told me he checked-in and told me the place was lovely and he will make sure the house is as clean as now. The disaster started the next morning. When I got to the house, an hour earlier than the check-out time, I saw lots of beer cans outside and trash was all over the entrance. I went into the basement, which the guest are not allowed to go and I saw the bathroom mosquito net in my yard. I knew things didn't went well inside the rented place. I didn't wait until the check-out time, I went in the house. The house was completely destroyed.

I was so shocked, tears started to come out and I couldn't even make a sound. 

The guest sent a message saying: I have bad news for you. I'm sorry, but some uninvited boys came and trashed the party and the place. There's some serious damage. I tried to stop them but I couldn't so I called the police. The police came too late, everything was already broken. The police filed a report. We can meet at your place or you can call me anytime.

He left his phone number. Before calling him, I called Airbnb Resolution center. At first, they didn't take me seriously. I told them the house is completely destroyed, there's no more wall, everything is upside down and broken. They told me to take photos and send them with the claim. I estimated 20 000$ but at the end I couldn't submit the claim, there was a maximum of 13 000$. I called them and told them that I can't submit because it won't let me. Then the person on the line was really nice, she told me to try and send it directly in a message. When she saw the first 2 pictures, she couldn't believe it. She immediately put me on hold and went to her superior. She came back to me saying, thanks for sending the photos, she had put my case directly in contact with the Claim department. A few hours later, I received a message that Airbnb has sent out my information to an independent adjuster to inspect the property due to the nature and extent of the damage. The adjuster from Crawford came. He saw the pictures but when he saw the house in person, he said he never saw something like this. This is a crime. It's way beyond his knowledge to estimate the cost of the damages and he will recommend Airbnb to send an building expert as well as a material good expert to estimate the cost of the damages. ( I will post some pictures)

DSCF0440.JPGDSCF0441.JPGDSCF0443.JPGDSCF0454.JPGDSCF0463.JPGDSCF0467.JPGDSCF0471.JPGDSCF0484.JPGDSCF0501.JPGDSCF0518.JPGDSCF0545.JPGDSCF0497.JPG

I also called the police to sue him. This is vandalism. From what I heard from the police, is that the guest is a minor.

I hope that my situation did not happen to anyone but does anyone have some advice?  Did anyone had a good or bad experience with Host Guaranty? How can a minor book my place ? Will Airbnb sue him for this as police has evidence that he was the responsible?  Should I proceed to a civil charges? What can I do or what are the options that I have?

Thanks for all your help!!

1 Best Answer
Malalai0
Level 4
Longueuil, Canada

Hi Everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank you all for your support. It was a long process but Aribnb did the right thing and supported me all the way. As my last update, the 2 professionals came and report back to Crawford's ajuster. Then the adjuster wrote a report to send to Airbnb. Finaly, Airbnb made a payout for my review. I had to ask Airbnb for the details of the payout and they sent me a brief description of the amount per room and the canceled reservation.  I am satisfied with the payout amount as it covers the damages, so I accepted their payout.

Thank you all,

Malalai

View Best Answer in original post

82 Replies 82
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I dont even know what to say. So sorry this happened to you.  But I have to ask why on EARTH would you let 30 people have a party in your house in the first place? I think you need a good lawyer. I'd be calling one immediately.  

What other evidence does Airbnb need to unilaterally ban parties across the site? I mean come on. 

@Laura2592 

I asked myself the same question, only after the incident. The guest asked me if it was ok to throw a party. That normally he does it at home but this time, he has visitors. He seemed honest and responsible to me. I got fooled and leaned the hard way... I have a lawyer working on this. Thanks for your time and advice. 

@Malalai0  put this all ove tdd social media. Call the local TV news. Get some attention on the case so that you have public support. The criminals  parents will have to be responsible for their kid and public pressure may help Airbnb to stop allowing party guests period. 

You should install cameras inside and outside the premises.  So that way you can always see what's going on prior to the destruction.

It just doesn't make sense that he has guests at his house and that's why he can't have a party. I think that was a HUGE red flag. The fact that he wants to have a party would immediately get him a decline. You should sue his parents.

@Juan63 Yes, it's in process. We're gathering proofs and documents to sue him and his parents.

@Malalai0 , you might find it useful to refer to the review of the prior guest, or ask them if they would be willi g to write a statement to verify the undamaged condition of the property. 

This may be helpful in your civil claim, and I honestly wish you every success with this action.

A civil claim is a just pathway too, because it means that the responsible individuals pay for repair and damages, instead of the (innocent) host community. When Airbnb pay, it is essentially money taken from host contribution via the host Levy. Guests should not be encouraged to think that insurance is their safety net. It's  better that they have a real sense of responsibility and accountability. Thats why I recommend that more hosts review their security deposit. 

I would encourage all hosts to have a substantial security deposit in place. Even where it may be insufficient to cover the cost of serioud damages, it can be an effective device to screen out applications for accommodation from individuals or groups who don't feel confident in their ability to hand back a property in the same sound condition that they received it in.  

Guests who have no intention of harming the property don't care how big your security deposit is. They will still request to book. Others who don't want to be invoiced for damages causedwill hesitate and look elsewhere. 

Yes, a solid security deposit can be a deterrent to bookings, thats exactly why I am recommending it. 

I am sorry that you have had this awful experience. There is no justification for guests to behave this way, and you didn't deserve this. I look forward to hearing back from you anout how it all worked out in the long run including images of your restored home. 

If there is any positive it is that you will have yourself a brand new home after the works are done. Airbnb will cover it as this is very bad for their public image.

@DC4 Yes, hopefully Airbnb will help cover the damages but from what I have read, the Airbnb Host Guarantee is pretty negative. 

I hope all goes well for you, yes airbnb host guarantee can be a Hassel  to deal with which really makes me wonder why airbnb advertise protection for hosts yet some damages are not cover  or protected  especially  floor damage and to my surprise it classified as normal  wear and tear but on average it take years before home owners need to replace their flooring under this same normal wear and tear

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Malalai0 

oh my god. I want to cry for you. I am so sorry! This is every hosts worst nightmare. Did your neighbors see any of this happening? The damage is done, you've learned your lesson about accepting any type of party. You must stay on top of Airbnb but don't rely on them. As @Laura2592 suggests, get a lawyers advice immediately and press charges. Also, make sure you call Airbnb and get the cancellations removed from your profile. Have Airbnb cancel your upcoming reservations claiming extenuating circumstance. They will charge you and penalize you if you keep canceling them on your own.

@Emilia42 

Yes, lesson learned. I have a lawyer working on this. The guest also took the time to go around telling the neighbors that they will throw a party and that if the sound gets too loud, to let them know. One of the neighbor has videos of them walking around on his security camera. I sent those videos to the police for them to identify the youngsters. Yes, I already had Airbnb cancel the upcoming reservation. Thanks for taking the time to help!

@Malalai0  That's interesting that your neighbour's security cameras are capturing images of your property?....

Best regards Christine 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Malalai0 

Malalia, how utterly horrible for you, I feel so sad for you.....a Superhost who goes out of their way to try and help people. 

I really hope that Airbnb will step up to the plate here! With the horrors of the Orinda shooting party still very fresh in everyones minds the absolute last thing Airbnb needs right now is another trashed property going public due to a party that got out of hand.

The reputation of Airbnb as a safe accommodation alternative is in freefall right around the world. I am active on a few blog sites and all the Airbnb questions now are.......

"If you are a host, are you using Airbnb and if so will you continue to use them?" 

"What made your Airbnb a rental disaster? "

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-state-of-Airbnb%E2%80%99s-regulatory-position-in-U-S-markets-Is-th...

on and on question after question.

The principals of this company need to get right behind this one and put things right.......NOW.....not shunt it around from adjuster to estimator to palm off insurer looking for the cheapest way to put this behind them.

This company needs to do something constructive to save the face of all the honest people it represents. It needs to get off it's ar*e  and start worrying about other things than possible IPO's...... which are looking more distant by the bloody second!

I have heard of two party reservations ......one of them current right here on the CC where Airbnb have simply relocated the impending party from one host to another.

So much for banning party houses....Airbnb are still encouraging them!

I am so incredibly cross, there are to many self-centred clowns running this company who think a few smooth words and a bit of sleight of hand will get the company by.

Although you should by now, being a Superhost, know Malalia you do not host parties.....PERIOD! You are not a function centre, you are not an entertainment venue, you are a home hosting site. If you had kept that in mind this would never have happened to you!

But it's Airbnb's responsibility to jump onto this with immediate action, no more 'airy fairy' statements, because all you are doing at the top at the moment is trashing everyone of us, you breeding mistrust and bring what we all do into disrepute!

C'mon Mr Chesky, how about it?

Cheers......Rob