House trashed, wrecked, destroyed by guest

Answered!
Chris80
Level 3
Eugene, OR

House trashed, wrecked, destroyed by guest

I just had a guest check out and they destroyed my house, causing over $3500 in damages and lost bookings. The list of things wrecked is so extensive, it's not even worth going into exhaustive detail, but here are the highlights (or low points, as the case may be):

Huge party lasting until well after 1am, disturbing neighbours and a general nuisance

Vomit stained sheets left in bag upstairs

Mattress stained, wet after sheets and mattress cover removed (presumably because of the vomit)

Two vintage audiophile stereo systems nonfunctional and broken speaker stand

Everything filthy, floor sticky, dirty dishes in sink

Bathroom vile, vanity shelf ripped from wall

Additionally, I had to decline a $250 booking since the place is not habitable. I can only hope that the host guarantee covers some of the losses. Has anyone had a positive experience with the host guarantee and how long did it take to be compensated?

1 Best Answer
Breanna
Community Manager
Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

You can learn more about damage coverage for Hosts by reviewing this Airbnb Help Center article: Getting protected through AirCover for Hosts.

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

110 Replies 110

Aloha,

We just had an experience where the guests were repeated slamming the doors (with live above the unit). We requested several times via the Airbnb website that they be courteous and never got a response. We finally left a note on their door and it stopped. However we could hear them fighting down there a few times. They were in the unit for 2 weeks. When they left we went to clean it (same day) and two doors were broken. Not just minor scrapes or scratches, actually broken wood on one door to where the front panel of the door is pulled away from the rest of the door and the other door has a chunk taken out of the door about the size of a 50 cent piece. Both doors have to be replaced. The guest denied doing anything and Airbnb is saying it is wear and tear. I am really disillusioned with Airbnb to say the least. 

After 72 hours, Airbnb is supposed to step in and make a decision. It's not always up to the guest. If the damage could be tied to them and is due to behavior that is a direct violation of your rules, that is on them for not following them. Rules are there for a reason.

Thanks, recently my host charge me $200 for a minimal charge crack/damage.

You are lucky thats all you got charged!!!! Have you ever owner ANYTHING? "Minimal" damages cost thousands to fix. A "minimal" scratch on a rental car would cost over $600 if not more, why would a HOUSE be less. You have to have a contractor come fix that! Plus what if the door was a vintage door. My house had original doors from when it was built in 1901 (worth thousands) and my renters ruined/ destroyed them. So despite their damage looking "minimal" it was costing upward of $10k. Have you ever owned a cell phone? Minimal damage is incredibly costly. This should be common knowledge. 

Good... Leave things how they were before you came.. How hard is that.

I am a host and below is the issue i have with Airbnb. Note: Gwen is thre airbnb representative. Airbnb did not stand behind us as host when damage to our property resently took place.  

Gwen,

We too are sorry that Airbnb has chosen not to support our claim for the damage to our shower surround caused by Leslie, our guest from May 21st through the 26th.  You mentioned that we might contact Leslie directly for the monies for the damages but, as she has not responded to any of the correspondence surrounding this claim, we wonder how this process would go forward.  We were of the understanding that, given these precise circumstances, Airbnb would ‘have our backs’. 

Whether repair or replacement, you are incorrect in suggesting that the crack in the surround doesn’t or won’t in the future affect the structure of the shower.  It will certainly not collapse as it is a hairline crack, however, it is positioned such that it extends from the edge of one of the surround panels and, as we were told by a professional, water will eventually find its’ way behind the panel causing water damage to our home.  We certainly do not wish to replace our shower as it is only three years old.  We would much rather choose repair over replacement but, as the panel would have to be removed in order to repair the crack properly and the tub painted to match the patch regardless, it was actually less expensive to replace the unit.  That being said, we actually received a very reasonable price for the labor involved in the tub’s replacement.

Our disappointment in the result of our claim has certainly soured us to Airbnb.  We are curious; has Airbnb attempted to contact Leslie for her response to our claim of damage?  As you know, she or someone in her party also carelessly placed a wet glass or other item which left a ring and spots on a dresser in our upstairs bedroom.  We were able to cover it to a point where it is almost not visible and have, therefore, chosen not to attempt to pursue refinishing of the top of the dresser.  Hence, we’re reasonable people and understanding hosts.  We wonder how Airbnb imagines hosts such as ourselves can offer quality housing to our guests if we must cover the cost of damages that Airbnb dismisses as superficial and suggests we pursue by chasing the guest for compensation.  In this case, I would have imagined Leslie would have contacted us immediately after the incident to inform us of the damage to the shower as it was a serious damage.  As she did not, do you really think she will take responsibility for this damage at this time?  We reported to Airbnb and reached out to Leslie immediately.  As she has ignored our attempts at contact, we had imagined Airbnb would step in and evoke a response. We are familiar with rentals through conventional real estate companies and know these damages would not be questioned, but covered by the security deposit collected by the agent.  In our case, we are surprised that Airbnb has not offered at least to compensate us up to the full amount of the security deposit but choose instead to dismiss responsibility for the entire claim.

As evidenced by our reviews, we take great pride in our home.  I personally clean between each guest.  As our ‘Judy Ann Drive’ property is our second and vacation home, I travel 2 hours and 20 minutes each way in order to meticulously clean, sanitize, and examine our home between each guest and am aware of any and all damage that may occur during each stay.  In this case, I am certain that the damage occurred during Leslie’s stay as I carefully scrub the shower from top to bottom between each reservation.  Airbnb’s claim stating “As a third-party not present during the reservation, we cannot charge the guest for this” baffles us.  Isn’t this the case in all Airbnb bookings?  How in the world can you be present at the time of reservation? 

Needless to say, my husband Dewayne has asked me to pen this response as he is too upset to correspond regarding this subject at this time.  Our Judy Ann house is very special to us.  As the premise of Airbnb regards renting our very own homes, as opposed to the idea of renting a hotel room for a comfortable and pleasant experience for renters, we are personally invested in the care and regard given our property.  My husband had assured me when we got started, from what your website led him to believe, that we would be covered if any damage was caused to our home.  We both, however, are surprised and, honestly disgusted at the result of our claim.  Airbnb has been our sole rental venue and we couldn’t say enough great things about it.  It is unfortunate that we no longer think this way and, regrettably, feel on our own with no protection or support from your company as a host with Airbnb.

This is so sad to hear.  We are experiencing a very similar issue.  

@Dewayne0 I certainly can understand your frustration and disappointment.  After reading similar posts I decided to get vacation rental insurance for situations like this.  I contacted my insurance broker with Farmer's Insurance and they found an underwriter willing to insure my entire home listing as a vacation rental (Foremost).  Actually the vacation rental policy was less than regular homeowner's insurance since I had removed everything that was  sentimentally or otherwise valuable. 

I would advise you to do the same as more and more insurance companies are waking up to Airbnb style market.  I hear that Allstate is offering vacation rental insurance although not in all states, contrary to their name.  You might check them out. 

Sorry I can't offer you more than this.  😞

Good luck making any claims. I had in 2 different homes tried claiming for floods using state farm and in one case state farm agreed to only cut out the portion or carpet that was most damaged and replace it with similar carpet. In another instance i was totally refused because the water spilled out of the pipes due to excessive rain but technically the rain itself didnt flood my home. I wasnt in a flood zone so flood insurance wasnt available i would have had to request "water excessive spillage" and who even knows that was a thing??? Im sure anyway they would come up with another excuse. Dont count on home insurance or car insurance for anything!!! Ever!!! They have been known to give victims of fire and tornado an incredibly hard time. This is all house and car insurance. Its such a bad pay but never get services pyramid scheme!! 

I am in this position now! Our "guests" staged the shower in the Master bath to show the shower head not working.

This happened to me as well..i said if they shower head was aimed against the back wall they would flood the apartment. It was a giant concert in Chicago so the tenants were all drunk and forgot i said that. When i came back at least (i guess) they attempted to clean up by using towels but insisted i didnt tell them. I did charge a fine that they would get back if everything was in place (only $200) but im not sure you can do this anymore. 

Shirley1
Level 5
Somerset, WI

@Chris80, I'm devasted about what's happened to your home. You've obviously spent a lot of time and expense to offer a very unique rental experience.  I hope you get reimbursed for your losses from AirBnB and/or private insurance with minimal hassle.

With your 5 star reviews and the gorgeous state of Oregon, I'm wondering if reimbursement is available through insurance or a damage claim for loss of any future income while beds are being replaced and the house is being repaired? 

You must be furious and heartbroken. Sending you and your family a virtual {{hug}}

Thanks for your kind note Shirley. We'll recover from this and I have faith that most people are good and will respect the lovely place that we are trying to provide. 

Chris80
Level 3
Eugene, OR

2016-04-25 16.23.57.jpg2016-04-25 16.23.57.jpg2016-04-25 16.26.13.jpg2016-04-25 18.22.48.jpg2016-04-25 16.20.02.jpg2016-04-25 18.23.14.jpg2016-04-26 14.22.40.jpg2016-04-26 20.45.48.jpgliquor.jpg

Thats it?!