House trashed, wrecked, destroyed by guest

Answered!
Chris80
Level 3
Eugene, OR

House trashed, wrecked, destroyed by guest

I just had a guest check out and they destroyed my house, causing over $3500 in damages and lost bookings. The list of things wrecked is so extensive, it's not even worth going into exhaustive detail, but here are the highlights (or low points, as the case may be):

Huge party lasting until well after 1am, disturbing neighbours and a general nuisance

Vomit stained sheets left in bag upstairs

Mattress stained, wet after sheets and mattress cover removed (presumably because of the vomit)

Two vintage audiophile stereo systems nonfunctional and broken speaker stand

Everything filthy, floor sticky, dirty dishes in sink

Bathroom vile, vanity shelf ripped from wall

Additionally, I had to decline a $250 booking since the place is not habitable. I can only hope that the host guarantee covers some of the losses. Has anyone had a positive experience with the host guarantee and how long did it take to be compensated?

1 Best Answer
Breanna
Community Manager
Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

You can learn more about damage coverage for Hosts by reviewing this Airbnb Help Center article: Getting protected through AirCover for Hosts.

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

110 Replies 110

Email the company on the twitter. https://twitter.com/AirbnbHelp

Tell them that all of the photos are going to Daily Mail & you are going to have no choice but to sue everyone
They have to release the deposit to you.

There is a cost of all the hours worked & I had to present a receipt saying that I paid someone to help me clean up after someone had 30 people (booked for 4) and parked a delorean in my LAWN with no rubber buffer on the grass - destroying our sprinklers.  Airbnb tried to say it was normal wear & tear & asked me to upload websites to show comparison of prices of sprinkler systems - I went thru hell getting my money.

Sue air bnb. I just started a resolution with them , if they do not step up to the plate I will take them to small claims court

Sara654
Level 3
Oxnard, CA

I have been with this company 2 years and so far just some minor issues that I didn’t report. I have been in the rental business for 43 years and I’m Very careful of who I take. Adults must be 25+ and not more than 2-3 nights if no feedback. I try to avoid long stays except traveling nurses. I’m with another BnB and they have some scary sounding people wanting to rent. If I don’t feel comfortable about them, I won’t take them. Also, when they start asking a lot of questions and making some request up front, I won’t take them.

I had a similar situation with Ric Gazarian of GlobalGaz. My home was left in tatters after I was assured it was for one person only. I found that many people were misusing my property over a span of three days. There was drug paraphernalia under the sofa. I nearly needed a hazmat team because of the low quality guests Ric was entertaining. Somehow he painted me as a trouble maker for limiting his guest. My insurance did not cover the damages. I lost future bookings.   

Kevin1327
Level 1
Roswell, GA

I had a very similar experience. My guest threw a massive, all night "rave." Don't expect ANYTHING but an exasperating, never ending runaround from Airbnb. They will "lose" your documentation and make you resubmit your claim until you give up. Never again

Charly63
Level 2
Tempe, AZ

I am still waiting for a pay out, them offered me 50% of the actual replacement cost. My damages estimates are over 75K total. Personal property was up to 27K of just stolen and damged personal property. The rest was all structural damages. The insurance formulas they use are garbage and plan to dig in and for a fight. It took weeks just to get them to email me back, only email, they will not call or do anything over the phone. I wasn't getting a response so I called the media in and did a PR smear and they finally started to listen. I hit the air waves with my story getting national coverage on many local news outlets.

The police gave up because they needed a court order to get the contact info for the guest. Airbnb did not release it and 100% protect the criminal that did this. This is apparently become more common, fake account with "verified ID" make it sound legit and boom throw a giant party and rob you "blind".

Stay strong and don't give up. Re-read the terms and agreements, its not built to protect the host.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/wild-party-causes-major-damage-for-tempe-airbnb-homeowner/article_2b0c...

https://www.insideedition.com/jason-bourne-rents-airbnb-throws-wild-party-home-53355