House trashed, wrecked, destroyed by guest

Answered!
Chris80
Level 3
Eugene, OR

House trashed, wrecked, destroyed by guest

I just had a guest check out and they destroyed my house, causing over $3500 in damages and lost bookings. The list of things wrecked is so extensive, it's not even worth going into exhaustive detail, but here are the highlights (or low points, as the case may be):

Huge party lasting until well after 1am, disturbing neighbours and a general nuisance

Vomit stained sheets left in bag upstairs

Mattress stained, wet after sheets and mattress cover removed (presumably because of the vomit)

Two vintage audiophile stereo systems nonfunctional and broken speaker stand

Everything filthy, floor sticky, dirty dishes in sink

Bathroom vile, vanity shelf ripped from wall

Additionally, I had to decline a $250 booking since the place is not habitable. I can only hope that the host guarantee covers some of the losses. Has anyone had a positive experience with the host guarantee and how long did it take to be compensated?

1 Best Answer
Breanna
Community Manager
Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

You can learn more about damage coverage for Hosts by reviewing this Airbnb Help Center article: Getting protected through AirCover for Hosts.

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

110 Replies 110

Wow...the exact same thing happened to me just now. Carpets will need to be cleaned, misisng stuff from the house, etc. And this was a guest AirbnB called us to accomodate at the last minute.

The reason I got here is to see where is phone number to contact AirBnB, it's nowhere to be found on this website.

Did AirBnB compensate for the damages?

@David-And-Amelia0 click on the link below to see all the ways you can contact Airbnb including phone numbers.

If you use the search function here - you will easily find the number - 'contact BNB'

You need to contact BNB through its resolution centre. Many have reported finding it difficult to make a claim despite BnB's assurances to the contrary in it's publicity.

You should certainly put in a claim - you have 48 hours from when the guest leaves.

Vincent515
Level 2
Dromore, United Kingdom

Airbnb are horrible  my house was trashed my bed destroyed with poo and my cinema amp broken and all Airbnb do is mess me about now for a mth... if had to spend near 2000 to buy new mattres and amp ... if not sorted soon il take them too court if I have sell my my house to pay for it I will because the way the treat me is horrible 

You can contact them at  1-855-424-7262  (US only) 1-415-800-5959 .  It's hard for find their numbers, I had to search somewhare for it.

I have put two(2) quotes in, less than six months the first was a 4 people checked in two themselves were AirBNB host. The older couple blocked the toilet allegdely with toilet paper, in fact it was adult incontinence items intead, it cost me $220.00 to unblock my toilet. The younger couple knew how to work around the AirBNB system as hosts themselves, so I was left with the bill no refund even though I lodged a report straight away!!

The second was 2016 unauthorised Halloween that trashed my house, leaving me with a painted swass sticker on my lounge room wall. I presented the painters quote for $800 to paint the wall, it was painted on the 16th day so I did not get refunded as it needed the get painted within 14 days, my painter could not get there at that time due to other commitments.

I have had Bath Sheets, Bath Towels, Bath Face Washer, really cheap cutlery disappear from my home. I no longer keep anything extra!

I'm at the end of my patience with AirBNB, it's a scam, they make the money we get left with the damage. No member of my family is interested in becoming a host, all happy to be guests because you have more rights!!!!

I am very close to removing my property, it is not worth it!!!

Yes! At first i thought i was on to something huge but hotels have protection that no other place gets. Even renters have more legal rights than home owners and you fund this out when trying to evict anyone. I get so mad how people being evicted cry oh poor me. No one wants to start and go thru an eviction! You loose about $10-$40k after its all done. You house can be destroyed and marked for homeless squatters! I had no idea there is actually a mark for a home that is an invitation to squatting. Horrible experience!! Hotels and car rental companies have special laws but not us regular folks and this is a scam. The people who are known squatters n such see right thru it. UBER LYFT do the same!!! Make all the money off you while they have no real estate in anything

I would like to know what about ended up happening.

I had a huge problem w our beach house in Malibu being trashed. The tenant was so aggressive /refused to leave & the owner had to come out at 9pm and tell them to leave...the guest should have been kicked off Airbnb and was not because they did the exact same thing to someone else later.

ZenHomes0
Level 10
Singapore

Wow this is serious, it's starting to make me wonder what I'd have to do when it happens to me. I've back to back bookings happening next month and if this ever happens, I'd have to cancel on 2 or 3 guests immediately on short notice. Would Airbnb be able to find accommodation for my guests if this ever happens on short notice?

Was wondering the same thing @ZenHomes0

We always have back to back listings so if something happened we would have to cancel. Meaning loss of revenue.

Wow i didnt realize or think of this

Chris80
Level 3
Eugene, OR

I haven't checked this post in a while and thought I would give an update. According to the host guarantee verbiage, I can't disclose exactly what transpired, but suffice it to say that Air BnB took care of this incident in a fashion that I consider fair. They assigned a point person that worked with me directly. She was extremely compassionate and professional. 

My house is pretty much put back together and all of my subsequent guest were extremely kind and understanding about the lack of some of the advertised amenities. I will be more careful about vetting potential guests and trust my intuition if anything seems fishy. 

I don't know what Air BnB does for guests if a host's property is unavailable due to the actions of a previous guest. My hope is that they take care of the guest by booking them in a hotel or at another Air BnB property. If I would have had a back to back booking, there is no way I could have accomodated them. If anyone has any other comments or questions, please post them since this is instructive and cautionary for other hosts. 

-Chris

@Chris80 Wow, thanks for the update!! It's great to hear that Airbnb stepped up and helped you out.  So many stories of their not doing so yet they did for you.  As for your comment about if you had guests coming before you could get your place in order, I'm sure Airbnb would have re-housed the guests at no penalty to you.  If ever there was an Extenuating Circumstance, I'm sure this would be one!

I'm sure the pain of this experience lingers on so I hope this is a one off and the rest of your hosting careeir is smooth sailing!

I recently had an agreement with AirBnB and I can also say that I was very satisfied with the outcome. Even though I cannot dive into specifics, I have to admit that the person handling everything was also professional and legitimitaly concerned about our mishap. It took a while to get things back to normal but we're back there. A lot more skeptical about it all.

The most unfortunate part of this is that the guests that did the damage were accomodated on behalf of AirBnb b/c thier host had cancelled on them. We tried to be good samaritans by allowing them into our home, but we definitely got bitten.

Hi Chris, 

The exact same thing happened to  me. I feel emotionally traumatized and the police was called to the house at 3 am in the morning. All the neighbors are extremely angry. I don't know what to do. It's so much more than the damages to the house. I feel so disappointed and lost.