House trashed, wrecked, destroyed by guest

Answered!
Chris80
Level 3
Eugene, OR

House trashed, wrecked, destroyed by guest

I just had a guest check out and they destroyed my house, causing over $3500 in damages and lost bookings. The list of things wrecked is so extensive, it's not even worth going into exhaustive detail, but here are the highlights (or low points, as the case may be):

Huge party lasting until well after 1am, disturbing neighbours and a general nuisance

Vomit stained sheets left in bag upstairs

Mattress stained, wet after sheets and mattress cover removed (presumably because of the vomit)

Two vintage audiophile stereo systems nonfunctional and broken speaker stand

Everything filthy, floor sticky, dirty dishes in sink

Bathroom vile, vanity shelf ripped from wall

Additionally, I had to decline a $250 booking since the place is not habitable. I can only hope that the host guarantee covers some of the losses. Has anyone had a positive experience with the host guarantee and how long did it take to be compensated?

1 Best Answer
Breanna
Community Manager
Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

You can learn more about damage coverage for Hosts by reviewing this Airbnb Help Center article: Getting protected through AirCover for Hosts.

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

110 Replies 110
Fern2
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Had the same experience this weekend.
The guest just ignor my calls .any advise from anyone who had the same experience ?
Thanks
Aileen1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Same for me.  whilst I get the flat made secure, how do I let Airbnb know that the next guest can't come for a few days

Fabs0
Level 4
United States

Just had a similar event happen and airbnb stood by the guarantee and took amazing care of us you can trust them they will take care of you
Amanda52
Level 2
Menlo Park, CA

@Chris80 - This happened to me too! What a mess! We need to get you a Party Squasher for your home 🙂  But I would love to share learnings with you if you're open to chat more? Direct Message me if you get the chance... and I hope it all worked out in the end!

Josephine10
Level 2
Richmond, Australia

My guests checked out 1:45 mins later than they should have, we waited parked in the street. The townhouse was an absolute mess, burnt fry pan, burnt tea towel, half cleaned vomit on top and behind the down toilet lid, hollaween decorations all over the floor upstairs and downstairs, all colours of silly spray sprayed everywhere including the walls, the fan, was left on upstairs, cigarette buds in the back garden and front carport, half empty stubby left near the front carport, fridge full of alcohol and food, on decorations spread all over the ground, Halloween sprinkles under the two couch cushions including the tips of cigarettes when you roll then yourself. The house is smoke free,  parties aren't accepted as my body corporate when be impressed, not looking forward to receiving a call from them. I accepted three people to stay, not a trashy party. The white kitchen clock is missing. The downstairs walls need to be repainted as the scrabbling of the colourful spray paint had caused damage. I have recorded everything on my mobile. The dishwasher had food stuck in the drain, the kitchen sink had food stuck in as well. Who is going to pay for the damage and extra cleaning, replacing the frypan, tea towel,2 missing teaspoons, the repainting of the downstairs walls. 

@Josephine10 Hi i am reading all these post............I know some are older according to the dates but I had to respond to you. I am so sorry you had vandals at your home that trashed it. AND, you say you sat outside waiting 1 hr. 45 mins. past check out time to get inside. Well, I book same day and have a 3 hr window of time to clean and prep before next guest. Your check out time is time UP and you could march right on in to clean and they can not do anything, just say we have to clean. AND if you had you would have seen all the trash and vandalism and I HOPE called the cops immediately on these folks. That might have changed the awful events somehow with the struggle. Still sorry but, you have rules and check out time is one of them. I hope you are having a better time since that event and having wonderful guest. Unfortunately, we all learn from these awful happenings. Best to you, Clara

Katy31
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

My flat was also trashed by a man who threw a party. There was a hole in the wall, floors scratched up, radiators scratched and it was covered in drug and cigarettes. Airbnb have done nothing as I don't have receipts for a wall and flooring. They have before and after photos and the man has admitted throwing a party. My advise is DO NOT

Hi Katy, sorry it's taken me so long to respond' it's because the Airbnb admin process is do disgusting!!! This was the second problem I had in less than six months. I did not get compensated for the internal wall I had painted to remove the swass sticker symbol that was left behind, by even though I provided Airbnb the painters quote, he was booked out, by the time he painted the quote had expired by Airbnb admin standards disgusting as they take their money upfront.

I would not recommend anyone becoming a host 

the first damage I reported was guests less than 10 hours from checking in had blocked e toilet with an incontinant undies. 

James469
Level 2
United States

No dates on these posts. Is the situation the same in 2017?

Katy51
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hi James,

We were never compensated so stopped using Airbnb. It's a shame but we paid out more in repairs than we made for that month and the way they handled it was at best poor 

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

@Chris80I don't know of any insurance company that insures vandalism. And Airbnb won't be much help. I think this is a case where you have to make a police report and then submit it to Airbnb along with a list of damages. If there are no results, the only way you can then be assured of compensation is to go to the media.

This is such a shame.  Airbnb is a great platform and it actually works. It's easy to book, easy to upload pictures.  As a host & real estate professional for 20 years - I've been doing short term rentals way before Airbnb came on the scene - from my experience dealing with difficult situations I can agree Airbnb simply does not look at the facts of these situations.  These kinds of guests who go around disrespecting people's properties know exactly what to say, they lie and counter accuse hosts just to get out of paying damages & it works.  It is not fair for people like us who work hard & spend a lot of time making sure the properties we advertise are in top form.  

The best way to protect your house is to advertise it for "family vacation or business travelers only," no guests under the age of 25 allowed to book, I don't rent to adults traveling with children under the age of 12 unless I feel totally comfortable with the # of people coming, you can also ask for a list of each guest coming - & no parties, no bachelorette or wedding parties allowed.  Installing cameras at the door also helps - it's against the law to install cameras inside with exterior cameras you have peace of mind knowing exactly how many people are at your house.  I also advertise that any guests over a max of 6 will be charged an extra $175/night.  Hotels do the same thing...you can't cram 7 people into a room that sleeps 4.

Thomas505
Level 1
Panamá, Panama

For nearly 2 years our house in Coronado Panama was illegally rented out as an Airbnb without our permission. They were renting from us and portrayed themselves as the owners. In that time they destroyed the refrigerator, televison, stove, washing machine and much more. [Guest name] should be arrested. I don't even want compensation since they are broke. They totally misrepresented themselves and did not take care of our property. My wife and i will never do business with airbnb since they let this happen. 

I want to speak with senior management at airbnb to discuss further. These are bad people and should be stopped from using the service. [Personal information hidden for safety reasons]

Have they got in touch with you yet? 

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Christopher251@Thomas505

Airbnb won't call you, I'm afraid, because this forum is for hosts to share and support other hosts.

You need to search this site for Airbnb Contacts, which should bring up a phone number for your location (or somewhere near).

I don't think they'll be on your side, though, however bad the damage. But, you can try.