Housekeeper gratuity???

Teresia1
Level 2
Snohomish, WA

Housekeeper gratuity???

Are there any norms out there for a year end bonus or gratuity for your house cleaners?  I have a unit that turns a few times per month, as its constantly booked.

Suggested amounts or forms of end of year gift?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

What a wonderful question.  

The holidays are a great time to create goodwill.

Sometimes as hosts, we requre our housekeepers to help us out in a jam. (bad scheduling, a mishap...)

A gratuity is a great way to show appreciation.

I have one housekeeper who has been with me all year. She is responsible, flexible and pleasant.

I hope she will appreciate my $100 show of gratitude.

Cash is best or cash with a small personal gift.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Teresia1 It’s my thought cash is always preferred, but you could also do a gift card if you wanted. Avoid foods and/or alcohol. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Teresia1 I read once to offer an extra gift equal to their usual fee. So at their next visit pay the usual bill and then gift that amount again (in cash). 

Robert-and-Janette0
Level 2
Kennebunkport, ME

I have a cleaner and her helper who clean 5 units during the year and have earned a total of about $22,000 total. These are small apartments that sometimes are turned over 2 or 3 times a week in the high season and I pay them $100 per cleaning.

What to give as a bonus at the end of the year??

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

I think any amount of money you are comfortable with is fine as it's a gift so the kindness & thoughtfulness is more important than the dollar value 🙂