How AIRBNB looks after their hosts

Jeannette64
Level 2
Mobile, AL

How AIRBNB looks after their hosts

I want to take a few minutes to thank AIRBNB big time for the protection they offer us hosts.  I had a lady that instant booked with me and within a short time, AIRBNB canceled her reservation because something didn't check out with her.   I was so thankful that my home was being looked out for.  She managed to message me somehow before she was shut down and stated that about 12 years ago she was involved in ID fraud and stated she was not that person anymore and was very apologetic.  I am the first person to give folks multiple chances in life and all of us have something or several things that we have done in life that were not nice or were not moral or ethical in some fashion.  BUT, I was thrilled to know that my home was being watched out for.  She is not allowed to be a part of the AIRBNB community.   I always wonder about the folks when they book with me .  Everyone has been kind, courteous, neat, quiet and tidy.  So far I have not had the 1st problem and it has been an adventurous, fun and amazing experience.  I give kudos to AIRBNB for that with the verifications required.     I have thoroughly enjoyed being a host and expect to continue this for quite a while.   Because of the discretion required with AIRBNB,  I will be able to set aside some of the  "wonders" in my mind about my guests.  We always want to be and feel safe and AIRBNB has shown me that they want us , hosts and guests , to feel that way too.    THANK YOU AIRBNB!!!!! 

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jeannette64  It is good that you had a supportive experience with Air BNB.  This forum is loaded with posts about situations that were not as host friendly as yours.  For me, I feel Air BNB does a pretty good job but I keep my expectations low and realize that Air BNB is primarily a booking platform.  Mostly, this is your business, but since you have delegated the fiscal aspect of your business to Air BNB, that is where you want them to excel.

Thanks for sharing!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeannette64  It's wonderful that you've had this experience, I have also had great guests and enjoy hosting.

BUT do not depend on Airbnb to have your back on this just because they did this time. Hosts have had convicted felons, child molesters, raging alcoholics with guns, etc, show up as guests. Continue to vet your guests well, don't expect that Airbnb will always do it for you.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jeannette64 @Sarah977 @Linda108

Thanks for sharing that Jeanette, both Sarah and Linda's advice is sound and you should not let this incident lower your guard where unacceptable guests are concerned. Airbnb's action on this occasion is not to be seen as a reason you should lower your 'housekeeping' standards when accepting reservations.

Last year I worked in Airbnb support, and I will not mention anything identifying as I am prohibited from doing so but, a question came to my screen, and that question was.....

"How do I close my Airbnb account? I would rather give my money to the highest priced hotel than give another cent to you mother-f**ker snowflakes"!!

That was it, rather confronting hey?

I grabbed that question because I was intrigued at why someone would be so angry!

The reason this person wanted to close their account was...... they wanted to go to Charlottesville in Virginia and protest in the race riots where that unfortunate woman was run over by a vehicle and killed, and Airbnb would not let this person book an Airbnb listing anywhere near the Charlottesville locale!

Airbnb do not just have a duty of care to their guests, but also to their hosts, and if they can see a potentially confronting situation developing they will take steps to diffuse it.

I guess one could say Airbnb have no right to interfere in politics....and maybe that is a sound argument, but as you have discovered Jeanette, it is nice to know that they do to a certain extent look out for us.

Thanks for letting us know Jeanette.

@Lizzie, I am tagging you in on this if you think this post is inappropriate in any way, but I feel I needed to confirm to the community Jeanettes observation......the company tries to do the right thing!

Cheers.....Rob