How Do I Report an Extenuating Circumstance?

Rachel32
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

How Do I Report an Extenuating Circumstance?

I need to report an extenuating circumstance as a host (my husband broke 6 ribs and now needs to recover and we have  a sick bed for him in the dining room). How do I report this to avoid penalties? And do I report first or cancel with the guest first. The visit is still a few weeks in the future, but I want to give her enough time to find another place.

I know there is someplace on this site to do this --- I got to it once and then hit an error and now I can't seem to find it again. Help??? Please.....

Thanks!

11 Replies 11
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Rachel32 It's always best to contact Airbnb first before cancelling a reservation.  The one and only time I had to cancel a reservation I had a gas leak and ultimately had to provide documentation that it existed and follow up with copies of repair bills, etc. 

I would think your situation would be considered an extenuating circumstance.   Here's the Airbnb link: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/849/extenuating-circumstances-for-host-cancellations

Also, here's a helpful link to contact Airbnb: 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165/highligh...

Broken ribs are a bummer as they take so long to heal.  Hope your husband gets well soon!!

Thanks for this info.  It is not at all clear how to do this, and I assumed that because I explained the circumstances to the guest (knee replacement surgery) that would be enough.  not true.  Air BnB needs to do a better job of making the links clear.

I am afraid these articles are quite useless. They describe the policy, but they don't indicate where/how I can discribe the conditions that force me to cancel bookings. My condo has been hit by a serious water leek from upstairs, and the repair works will take approximately two months. I am in now way able to accommodate guests, and I have no idea how to inform Airbnb.

Leya1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

same is happening to me? and I can't figure out how to contact Airbnb! can you please tell me how that matter was resolved for you!

thank you!

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Leya1

Have you requested a call back, current wait time is 10 minutes

airbnb-help/contact_us

Jeni1
Level 2
Broomfield, CO

This is craziness! The articles just send me in a circle. They say to "contact us" to report a claim, but give NO contact information.  They say to report the claim AFTER the cancellation, but when I try to pull up the reservation, it gives me only future reservations. I can't figure out how to explain to Airbnb that my mother was hospitalized out-of-state and I had to cancel a reservation!! HELP!!

Absolute madness. All AirBnB does is talk about how you can get fees refunded for extenuating circumstances, but there is NO WAY TO FILE THE CLAIM! 

Please someone help.

@Aimee37

Call them

David
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Aimee37 Ring the number on your booking confirmation and customer service will talk you through the process or use one of the ways to contact airbnb in the link below.

Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide

Trish43
Level 2
Jolly Harbour, Antigua and Barbuda

I recently had to do the same; cancel bookings and unlist my property until a time when my husband's illness allows us to open up again. Airbnb demanded that I send Dr's reports to them to prove my husband had been genuinely diagnosed with cancer. I find this incredibly intrusive. Not only did I have to send them reports by email (only after getting put through to a supervisor), but I was told that they may or may not delete these documents. So not only was I penalised for cancelling my guest bookings, after speaking to Airbnb  on the phone and asking them what to do - again utterly unhelpful, I've had to supply sensitive, private medical information with them.

I am seriously considering not being a host ever again.

Trish.