How I got a bad review removed! There is hope!

Michelle1115
Level 3
Gig Harbor, WA

How I got a bad review removed! There is hope!

I had my first ever really really bad review and I got it removed! I knew she was going to leave me a bad review without going into all the details about her stay and how awful it was.  I had to request money from her for damaging my property. Of course, she told me off. I had to then request it from Airbnb.  I got the noticed that she left me a review right after I requested money from her to repair damages. I knew it was going to be a bad review and I had customers coming. So I waited to the very last moment to leave her a review. After talking to three or four customer service reps on Airbnb and getting messages that they couldn’t do anything, I got someone who looked again. You’re not supposed to talk about an active case that Airbnb is trying to resolve ( she was). So keep that in mind in the next time someone leaves you a bad review. If they mention anything about money or details of an ongoing case, its a no-no. 

25 Replies 25
Anita377
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I see you had it resolved. How long did it take?

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Michelle1115

Hi,

I'm happy for your results. That's great!

But Could you please explain little more about who did your guest talk too which they shouldn't  ?

What do you mean with that's a no no?

I figured out that you are not allowed to talk about an active case. I asked to be refunded for damaged for a certain amount of money and she put it in her review. She also put in her response to my review about Airbnb giving her a coupon, so I think that your not suppose to do that. 

Michelle1115
Level 3
Gig Harbor, WA

It was about  one day with that last person that helped me. They took her review off.

Asury-and-Adam0
Level 3
Clarksville, TN

Yep! I had a similar instance where guest left a review where guest mentioned the extra charges. The first rep I spoke with immediately removed it. I've had another similar situation where guest simply put "N/A" and gave me bad ratings. I had an open case when he did so and AirBnB couldn't remove it. They told me to publicly respond to the review because it didn't violate review policies.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Michelle1115@Asury-and-Adam0  That is really helpful information, thank you for sharing that.  I will keep this in mind, if ever in the same position!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Michelle1115is correct. You can ask to have a review removed if it mentions a damage claim because Airbnb doesn't allow "Content that provides specific details or outcomes of an Airbnb investigation". So, I would assume this doesn't just apply to an active claim but also one that has been resolved, as it mentions "outcomes". So, a host should also not mention this in their review as that could be removed too.

Other reasons you could ask for a review to be removed is if it contains discriminatory or obscene statements (racism, swearing etc.).

A guest lying in their review doesn't seem to be cause to have it removed anymore, even if it is provable that they are blatantly lying. Nor does it seem to matter if they write you a bad review in retalitation for you bringing up damage, rule breaking etc. even if you can prove that's what happened. Seems nowadays, the CS reps have been briefed to give the host the standard answer of "It's the guest's experience and it doesn't break our content policies."

Still, I would still give it a go in these circumstances. You never know, you might encounter and understanding rep who can think for themselves...

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You are right @Huma0

It's standard practice that airbnb will remove reviews which includes 'content that provides specific details or outcomes of an Airbnb investigation'.  This is why in @Michelle1115  case the guest review was removed.

It doesn't matter whether it is a live investigation or whether the case has been resolved.

For any other hosts here. Here is the information Airbnb publishes about its content policy

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/546/what-is-airbnb-s-content-policy

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Michelle1115 Very educative! Thank you for sharing.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Yes, this is absolutely true, and many  hosts have been using this "workaround" to get negative reviews removed for a very long time now.  It's a preposterous situation that Airbnb itself has created, by making it practically impossible for hosts to have even the most libelous or defamatory review taken down,  no matter how damaging, dishonest or blatantly untrue the content may be, and regardless of how detrimental or ruinous the false review may be to the host's business. 

It's actually gotten to the stage now where some hosts will either open a claim in the resolution centre themselves, requesting damages or repair costs from the guest (even when there are none),  or engineer a situation whereby the guest will open a claim, specifically so they can use it to their advantage, when they even suspect that the guest is going to hammer them in the review. 

For example, another common use of this "loophole" is for the host to agree (or even offer) to refund a nightmare guest, who they anticipate is going to annihilate them in the review. This is invariably done in person, or on the phone - never  by text or via the Airbnb message thread (so there's no paper trail). In reality though, the host has zero intention of refunding the guest at all. They tell the guest to send them a request for refund through the resolution centre, which of course the host will then decline, knowing full well that the guest will be incensed, and will immediately get Airbnb involved. Airbnb may or may not end up refunding the guest, but the guest is guaranteed  to mention the dispute and having to involve Airbnb in their review, and hey presto, the host now has the one and only foolproof means of having the guest's nasty review taken down. 

I've never used this ploy myself as I've never needed to have a guest review removed, but I can completely understand why even the most honourable host would resort to this, given the irreparable damage that a single spiteful, retaliatory review can cause to their reputation, and to their ability to attract future bookings. 

However, this exact loophole is also being exploited and abused on a massive scale by many of the more unscrupulous hosts out there, who actually are  providing a shoddy service as standard, and who routinely use this as their go-to method of having  all their awful reviews deleted  - even though those terrible reviews are very often 100% truthful and well deserved. (It's also the reason why properties from certain "hosts" frequently have a much higher rating on Airbnb, than they have when you see them advertised on other platforms) Many of the more shady professional and commercial operators see it as just another handy tool in their toolbox, to be used as and when needed. 

We see posts on groups and forums day in, day out, from people who are shocked to the core that the 5 star place they thought  they'd booked on Airbnb, turned out to be an absolute sh*thole in reality. Well now you know how and why that happens... 

I totally agree I even think some host go as far as having family and friends write good reviews for them. It does seem as if some host try to gain extra funds from their guest. 

Keith282
Level 1
Val-d'Isère, France

I have just had a guest leave my apartment in a filthy state. I ask guests to leave it as they found it on arriving. Cheaper holiday, you can come into my home & you won’t see rubbish bags every where I take them out when one is full. Normal behavior.  I now have to ask  guests to verify that the apartment is clean as this guest has lied & said it wasn’t clean on arriving so he justified leaving my place in a filthy state. He also claimed that airb&b stipulates its my job to clean up. I don’t think this is correct after reading this. I took 6 hours to clean up after him I asked for 120 euros. I’m sure he will leave a negative review. Dog hair he said, no one has had pets in there. He also left a weeks worth of dirty  dishes justified by saying the dishwasher was broken. He didn’t ring me so could fix it. I  would not wish this type of guest on anybody. I left a truthful review of his behavior. He is a liar & a pig & I have proof. I have left it with airb&b resolution. Wait & see.

Just curious... do you charge a cleaning fee?  I find that guests use cleaning fees as an excuse to leave the clean up to someone else. I don’t charge a cleaning fee myself, but I make a point of saying that I’m my info pack, and requesting people be considerate in how they leave the place so I don’t have to. I don’t ask them to do dishes (I offer breakfast) even though there is a wash station. 

I charge $25 cleaning  fee to offer set the cleaning products .