How To Answer The Guest Question "Any suggestions on things to do during our stay"?

Brenden4
Level 1
Doylestown, PA

How To Answer The Guest Question "Any suggestions on things to do during our stay"?

(Other than the Airbnb app :p) What are some approaches you take to answering when a guest asks you for advice on what to do in the area? 
Do you have a packet in the house with things to do, refer them to certain websites or apps, have an email queued up?

10 Replies 10
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I am kind of old school, @Brenden4, probably because I am old! 😄  I have a binder with a collection of pamphlets and flyers from various places to explore in the general area.  I find many guests like to go through the binder but actually use their phones or lap tops to get into details.  I like to have discussions with what the guests are looking for.  Some are here for a specific event and others are here for the good weather and exploration.

I start the conversation about what the guests might be interested in during the time leading up to stay.  Some guests really count on my input and some are more self-sufficient.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

All of the above, really, @Brenden4. The still-slightly-frustrating guidebook is a good place to start, and a house manual with loads of recommendations and pamphlets is good, and queuing up an email or saved message (even better) is good too. That saves you from having to suss out what sorts of things they like so you are not recommending the opera to someone who would prefer the park. A good template I have found is: 

Were you thinking the outdoors? Here are the trails/canoe outfitters/etc.

Do you like theatre? Here are some options.

Museums? Wineries? etc.

A bit like that. Links can be sent to booked guests, and suggesting search words works for those who are just enquiring.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Brenden4

I have a couple of guide books and a selection from the tourist office. If they ask in advance, I ask them to start with the tourist office site and TripAdvisor and then welcome them to ask specific questions if they still have need for more info. Usually TA travel forum does the trick as it is often myself answering on the forum.

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I keep a binder with items from the town visitor center - including maps and the current ferry schedule which my guest are welcome to take.  Also includes menus from local restaurants. Small town, binder is still mostly empty, lol. 

I also have have a book on the bedside table - 101 Things to Do on Whidbey Island. Several guests have mentioned the book. 

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi all,  I'm just putting this together now before my home goes off 'snooze' first of December, but it's something I'm excited about.  I used to be a tour guide (primarily San Diego because I was at University at the time), and also my family is 5th generation San Diegan... with a LOT of colorful history! (Great-great-great grannie had a brothel next door to Wyatt Earp's hotel downtown).  I LOVE San Diego and there are so many amazing things to see/do/experience here!  I've started collecting pamphlets and brochures of my favorites--a LOT--but haven't yet decided on the best presentation... would like to figure out something that I don't have to continually refresh... hummmmm. 

I know that sometimes when I've traveled, I've taken a particular brochure as a 'memento' which is probably silly of me because I almost never really kept them in a way that I would appreciate revisiting the memory. 

Kim
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Brenden4 I do keep some restaurant menus, guide books, maps of the center. And try to udate my airbnb guidebook.

Brothel you say, @Kimberly54? 😉

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena4, Woops, I totally got that mixed up--Wyatt Earp had the brothel; grannie had a hat shop next door.  Fifth Avenue, half a block south of E Street, left side.  His building is still there, and quite grand!  This was a very long time ago, and it's funny that my mom's family is still very tight-lipped about the stories!   There's a saucy song called, "You Can Leave Your Hat On"...  😉

Best,

Kim
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I made a list of tours and activities and copy and paste to any guests that ask 'What is there to do?".

@Linda. We may be 'old', but we must be grateful for we have lived during exciting times, from the Beatles to the Internet!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Brenden4

OUr guests usually stay just 2-3 days and have no time to explore by themselves, so we help them by providing:

1. sorted leaflets/pamphlets for different services / excursions etc...
  2. brochure with this months events/concerts/shows/exhibitions 
  3. city guides on several languages
  4. city maps
  5. lists of recommended vegan/asian/croatian etc... restaurants
  6. list of night clubs / interesting cafe bars etc...
  7. list of all phone applications for tourists in Zagreb
  8. clipboard with hand picked and printed current street festivals, fairs and events
  9. few books about Zagreb and Croatia

Guests really appreciate all those informations bc it helps them to have a good time and see a lot during their short stay. 

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

I also keep a folder with a small number of leaflets, tourist attractions, underground train maps, riverboat services. I'm near a major airport so most of my guests just stay one night to catch a flight, so the things people need most are food-delivery and travel instructions.