How can I block a guest from messaging me, viewing my listing and/or sending future reservation requests?

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

How can I block a guest from messaging me, viewing my listing and/or sending future reservation requests?

I have had issues in the past with crazy guests who:

- Leave a review complaining about things like the space being too small or the doors to neighbouring apartments in my building being too close together, however, they then go ahead and try to book more nights on future dates (because my price is so low) but obviously I don't want a repeat guest who's going to leave bad reviews for things that cannot be changed because that hurts my overall rating for no reason.

- Book without reading any of the info on the listing, then cancel on the check-in date because they waited until that time to realize they had booked a "private room" instead of an "entire place" and then start sending me repeated refund requests.

There have been many more situations that I can't recall off the top of my head where there was an apparent need for a "block" button, in the same way you can block someone on any social media platform to prevent further communication or stalking.

There has never been a prominent "block" button, but a workaround I have used in the past is to bring up the guest's profile, click "Report this guest" -> "They're being Offense", then fill out the text box for AirBnB's consideration, then click "Submit", and only then does a "Block" button appear. That "Block" button is nested within submenus that can only be found by initially clicking on "Report this guest". If you select any of the other options under that first menu, like "I think they're scamming or spamming me" or "Something else", then the block button does not appear.

Therefore, the way I have always done this in the past is by clicking "Report this guest", then selecting "They're being offensive",  then in the blurb to AirBnB, I have to explain that they aren't actually being offensive but that I'm clicking this reason because their idiotic UX design makes the block button available only via this route.

Today I tried following that process and noticed that after sending the report, there was no block button.

Does anyone know whether there still exists a way to block people who are pestering you on AirBnB?

17 Replies 17

Hello @Sean95 

Thank you for your reply, this is the process:

To report a message from someone or block any future communication from them:

1. Go to your Inbox and click the conversation with the person you want to block
  2. Click the flag icon next to the message to report a user
  3. You must select They're being offensive to block a user and follow the next few questions with the appropriate options
  4. Describe the reason for blocking
  5. Click Submit, then Block this person and OK

How do I report a message or block someone on Airbnb? - Airbnb Help Centre

Have a great hosting, and so sorry for this story with that guest.

Ramona
Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Ok I finally got to the bottom of it and all this confusion is coming from sloppy UX design.

It IS ACTUALLY POSSIBLE to block guests! However, there are some booby traps in the process.

In order to block a guest FROM A COMPUTER:

1. Go into the conversation with the guest.

2. Locate the PARTICULAR MESSAGE within the conversation that you want to report.

3. Click the flag next to that message and the "What's happening?" window will open.

From this point onwards, select "they're being offensive" and the rest of the process will work.

WHAT NOT TO DO: On the right hand side of your screen, there is a pane called "Reservation Details". If you scroll down within that pane, you will see some clickable items below the financial details. One of these items is "Report this guest". Do NOT click on that. If you do, it opens the exact same window as in step 3 above and presents an identical reporting procedure but once you reach the end, there will be no option to block.

In order to block a guest FROM THE APP:

1. Go into the conversation with the guest.

2. Locate the PARTICULAR MESSAGE within the conversation that you want to report.

3. Tap the message itself.

4. This opens an overlay window that contains a flag.

5. Click on the flag and the "What's happening?" window will open.

From this point onwards, select "they're being offensive" and the rest of the process will work.

WHAT NOT TO DO: Once you are inside a specific conversation with a guest, you will see a button at the top that says "Details". If you click on that, it will open a window that contains the same information as the "Reservation Details" in the pane mentioned in the previous section regarding the procedure from a computer. Do not submit a report from this window, or you will be provided with an identical reporting procedure but once you reach the end, there will be no option to block.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Sean95, I've passed this on to the team yesterday, and they have recommended that you contact them again so that they can review this for you. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen