How can I get AirBnB to recognise my current GUESTS as "Going Above and Beyond"

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

How can I get AirBnB to recognise my current GUESTS as "Going Above and Beyond"

As hosts, we don't always get wonderful guests, so I really want to draw attention to the WONDERFUL GUESTS I have in one of my rooms today.

After last night's guests checked out, I went to clean their rooms and found that I had a lot of extra work to do (it happens when common sense is not!) Photos taken and sent to AirBnB.

As today's young couple had arranged in advance for an early check-in, I messaged them to explain the situation and let them know that I may still be cleaning the room when they arrive.  A short while later, they reply: "We are arriving early!"  Aarrgghh! thinks me and redoubles my efforts.

Turns out "We are arriving early!" means "We are arriving early and are going to help you!"  Mr Guest asked for a mop to clean the bathroom, Mrs Guest asked for a vacuum cleaner and it went on from there!

These wonderful guests have extended their stay and want to book with me again at the end of their holiday.  I am happy to give them a discounted rate and a small gift but I would like to know how AirBnB can recognise their actions.

28 Replies 28
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rebecca160

That's very odd. As far as I'm aware, the setting requiring a guest to have a positive review in order to IB still exists. It had already changed to only one recommendation when I switched on IB, but under my Guest Requirements settings it still says:

"These guests have travelled on Airbnb, are recommended by other hosts, and have no negative reviews."

Have you double checked that you still have the box ticked next to this in your settings? If you do, then I don't understand how this guest could have instant booked your listing.

If a host recommends a guest, then I assume that means they have reviewed them, or is it possible to just give a thumbs up but not write anything when reviewing a guest?

And since when was acceptance rate a criteria for Superhost? I thought it was just relevant for Plus listings, or has this changed? What I assume the rep meant was that if you cancel more than three IBs in a year, the fourth cancellation could cost you your Superhost status if the rep decides you don't have a valid reason. Airbnb's communication that a host can cancel as many IBs as they like penalty free if they are uncomfortable with a guest is misleading, because after the third one in a year, you have to get Airbnb CS to approve it.

You are right about the reviews. I find it reassuring to see a guest has several very positive reviews, but if they only have one review, it doesn't necessarily mean that much.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Not only would it be great for hosts to be able to choose Superguests, it would even the playing field, as there would then be all those guests who would be as anxious as hosts about loosing their new-found status. So would under 4.8 rating be considered "bad dog" for guests as well, I wonder? Will we be able to rate them on say, the quality of their luggage or their ability to parallel park in one go?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Terri38

Terri, thanks for starting this thread, you have got my mind working as to how I can now exploit this.

On the occasion this has happened to me, and has happened to you, the guests have been exceptional to host. It gives them a first hand look at what effort and detail goes into hosting a guest. It makes them realise that no hotel is ever going to go to the lengths we hosts go to, and I am sure after seeing this happen first hand, they go out of their way to be more considerate and understanding during their stay and will probably be rewarding in the rerview process. 

Maybe something along the lines of ....."If you have a few spare minutes you can come along early. I am up for a 'masterclass' in bed presentation and finishing touches, and we'll finish it off over a cuppa, how about you"! 

Have you got any ideas, or is this just plain dumb?

Cheers......Rob

Victoria-Jc0
Level 2
United States

As a frequent guest, I love the idea! We're Husky Squad and we travel with our pups often. We leave our hosts home IMMACULATE every time becuase we feel it's the right thing to do. It would be amazing to get a special status for our efforts. We don't wear shoes in any hosts home, we clean our pups paws, carry special couch covers for them + we clean the house spotless before we leave + we make host cabins go viral on or Husky Squad instagram. Hosts are often surprised that we even have dogs with us. It would be SO nice to get extra borwnie points for our efforts 🙂 

huskysquad-cabin.jpg

What a picture!

Thanks so much 🙂 The host did an incredible job with the string lights 🙂

I absolutely love huskies!! We raised them for a while until all of them have passed. We are looking to rescue one now to add to our family. Our last black/white one left us almost 4 years ago. People out here in Vegas just want to make money off of them and I will not pay $800-$1400 for one. Please let me know if you ever need to find a loving home for one. 

This week alone, two huskies were dumped in my local dog park (in Albuqueurque) and two very young husky female puppies were found wandering the neighborhood. I know the puppies got homed together in Taos. The other two were possibly going to Montana. I will keep my eyes peeled for you. I was thinking that possibly a breeder or irresponsible owner  was dumping the animals for some reason.

@Rebecca160 wrote:

This week alone, two huskies were dumped in my local dog park (in Albuqueurque) and two very young husky female puppies were found wandering the neighborhood. I know the puppies got homed together in Taos. The other two were possibly going to Montana. I will keep my eyes peeled for you. I was thinking that possibly a breeder or irresponsible owner  was dumping the animals for some reason.

Ugh 😞 it seems that these stories never end ... I really hope our culture changes for the better. 

@Bernadette82 wrote:

I absolutely love huskies!! We raised them for a while until all of them have passed. We are looking to rescue one now to add to our family. Our last black/white one left us almost 4 years ago. People out here in Vegas just want to make money off of them and I will not pay $800-$1400 for one. Please let me know if you ever need to find a loving home for one. 

Absolutely, rescuing IS the way to go. There is nothing like saving a life! 🙂 Our Squad agrees too. If you'd like to rescue a husky, please check Petfinder.com - there are thousands of huskies in shelters waiting for a loving home and it sounds like they'll be lucky to spend their life with you. Sending love 🙂

Aw, the Husky Squad is welcome in my dog friendly home. Balthazar, my chcolate lab, would love to have some friends over.

@Rebecca160 wrote:

Aw, the Husky Squad is welcome in my dog friendly home. Balthazar, my chcolate lab, would love to have some friends over.

Thanks a bunch, you're so kind! Give Balthazar some belly rubs from us 🙂

Bernadette82
Level 4
Las Vegas, NV

I was on my way to a business dinner meeting and got an automatic booking. I was in the middle of doing the laundry for the room and put all the clean linens on the couch in the room. My guests beat me home and made the bed and folded the towels. I apologized profusely and gave them a surprise discount. They were definately Superguests. Thank goodness there are still good people out there. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I sometimes have problems with water delivery where I live. The town pumps were broken after a big storm and my water storage tank was down to enough water to flush the toilet a couple times and maybe have a 3 minute shower. My neighbors, who are on an endless well, allow me to hook up to their faucet and get water when such things happen. But this entails connecting and lugging around 3 heavy 100 ft.hoses, putting the outflow end in my cistern, then running back over to their place to turn the water on and then off when done.

My guest asked if she could help and did it cheerfully and happily. I was so appreciative of the assistance.