How can I get AirBnB to recognise my current GUESTS as "Going Above and Beyond"

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

How can I get AirBnB to recognise my current GUESTS as "Going Above and Beyond"

As hosts, we don't always get wonderful guests, so I really want to draw attention to the WONDERFUL GUESTS I have in one of my rooms today.

After last night's guests checked out, I went to clean their rooms and found that I had a lot of extra work to do (it happens when common sense is not!) Photos taken and sent to AirBnB.

As today's young couple had arranged in advance for an early check-in, I messaged them to explain the situation and let them know that I may still be cleaning the room when they arrive.  A short while later, they reply: "We are arriving early!"  Aarrgghh! thinks me and redoubles my efforts.

Turns out "We are arriving early!" means "We are arriving early and are going to help you!"  Mr Guest asked for a mop to clean the bathroom, Mrs Guest asked for a vacuum cleaner and it went on from there!

These wonderful guests have extended their stay and want to book with me again at the end of their holiday.  I am happy to give them a discounted rate and a small gift but I would like to know how AirBnB can recognise their actions.

28 Replies 28
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Terri38   Wow, that's amazing! What wonderful folks. Someone awhile back suggested a "Superguest" category. It would be a good idea for people like this to be acknowleged by more than just the host who was lucky enough to have them.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Terri38

Unfortunately you can't Terri....as far as Airbnb are concerned every guest is wonderful!!

Not long ago I had the same thing happen! If you look at my calendar, I offer same day turnaround and on odd occasions I will get caught when an incoming guest wants to arrive before my scheduled check-in time.

But same thing Terri, except I made a joke of it and said..."That's fine, early arrivals have to make their own bed though"....to which they said they would be delighted to, they knew it would be done properly then!!....cheeky buggers!

So at that point I just did a few light duties till they arrived. I let them make the bed then told them what they had done wrong....where were the 'hospital corners'?  And I let her steam mop the concrete floor and I got him hanging up the new towels and together we set up the fruit bowl, teas and coffees and stocked the fridge and, we had a great time of it.

It was a really good icebreaker! You do have to pick your guest though, but the message stream will give you a good idea of who you can jolly along and who you can't.

That turned out to be a really nice hosting and Terri I can absolutely imagine how yours would have gone.

I am genuinely sad to see some guests leave, but all I can do is tell them in the review!

Cheers......Rob

Terri, this restores my faith in people. There should be a superguest title, but a great review is all on offer. I have fond memories of all the shared dinners and wines with lovely guests and some have left the place so clean it was sparkling when they left. I have had appreciative guests shout me dinner out. It is nice to know that genuinely lovely people still exist. It is why i continue hosting.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

During the last CEO Brian briefing, the concept of "Super Guest" was presented as coming soon change.  Great minds think alike...or Air BNB was listening!

Edgardo12
Level 2
Parañaque, Philippines

superguest status yes a good idea!!!

Graham-And-Michelle0
Level 9
Auckland, New Zealand

So good to hear such a positive story. Yes you are right as some guests are a joy to meet and we have had similar experiences.  Including the wonderful Grandmother who flew out to from the UK to join her family here and spent her some of her time giving my pantry an over haul.  She couldn’t use the pool and wanted to be occupied !  Such a sweetheart.  We usually try to reward such behaviour by hosting a barbecue or taking  them sailing or to a beach picnic.  There is no recognition from Airbnb but maybe it’s time will come.

Michelle.

@Terri38

I want to hear more happy stories like this!

Thank you very much for sharing it!

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Well, I can honestly say that out of the 22 guests/groups I have hosted, the overwhelming majority (20) have been delightful and respectful. I guess we as hosts expect this so we sometimes fail to appreciate these guests until the Guests from Hell give us a reality check. 

I hope they do follow through with a "super guest". It would also be nice to have them on a separate level as far as Instant Book goes.  As it is, I have guests with recommendations from other hosts allowed to IB, but no one else can. It would be nice for some people who are concerned about IB to perhaps be able to check off that people who are "super guests" can IB but all others must send requests, since these people have proven themselves to be the kind of folks we want to host.

Oh, I like the idea of not only Super Guests ( I have had a few), but having the ability to only allow super guests to Instant Book. That would really help weed out some of the not so good guests, I think.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is so nice to hear @Terri38, you always share such lovely and positive experiences here in the CC. A huge thank you for doing this. 

It's often the little things when you don't expect it, like picking up a mop and being understanding, that can mean such a lot. It also sounds like your guest had a super time and I am sure it made them feel far more relaxed with they arrived. 

I am excited about the Superguest category as well, it is great to hear others are too. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I want this too. We should put it in Host Voices (which isn't seen by non hosts).  I think guests like that should have some recognition by their name so other hosts can see and maybe do something extra for them when they book. 🙂

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

That be a cool idea indeed and like @Rebecca160 (from NM) mentioned above, imagine if it could be used as a filter in some capacity like 'Insta-Book'. (Giving it a new name that makes it sound more hip).

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Well the Superguest scheme is supposedy on the way, but I'm not sure when it's launching. I really like @Stephanie0's idea about having Superguest being a criteria you can select for IB. At the moment, the options are only to allow guests with a positive review (they only need one), which doesn't mean that much...

I have never had guests helping me to turn a room over or clean the place. I would feel a bit awkward about that, but sounds like some of you have turned it into a fun experience.

I have recently been suffering from severe back pain though and a very lovely young lady who was staying kept offering to help me around the house, even to help prepare the other guest room when I had new guests arriving. I didn't take her up on the offers but appreciated her asking, particularly as she herself had a knee injury that was causing her some pain.

@Huma0I had a guest Instant book recently who had absolutely no reviews. I turned him away and notified Airbnb. Their response was well, too bad. If you turn down too many, then you will lose your Superhost status.

I do remember when I originally set up the instant  booking, I required that they have two positive reviews. Not sure when the system defaulted to having only one and sometimes no, reviews, for instant booking.  Not really sure if reviews mean anything anyway based on mylatest experience, the guest's previous good reviews meant nothing. He was so bad, I gave him a Thumbs Down.

Your recent guest sounds like a gem! Hope that your back is better.