How can I make it more clear that this is an apartment?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

How can I make it more clear that this is an apartment?

After hosting this space for three years with no problems, third set of guests in a row does not realize this is an apartment rather than whole house and get really upset. Three low star reviews in a row!! One was upset about other things as well and two others used decent language in the review itself but still low stars. Short of putting it in all caps in the beginning, which I think is wrong also because normal people would think there is more to it and get suspicious as it is not customary to do that, I really do not know what else to do. It is mentioned at least twice in my listing directly and several times in other ways- such as mentioning guests upstairs as far as noise, stair count, shared back yard with upstairs guests, etc. It is also in the picture descriptions and house rules. I think it is somehow mentioned one way or the other at least 10 times. My welcome message has it also. Help!

https://airbnb.com/h/gem-chicago

13 Replies 13
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Inna22  That's so weird and annoying!

But the first two things one reads are "Entire house" and "entire home."

I know this is because of the choices Airbnb gives you when you set it up.  But it's confusing for guests.

The first few words of the description could help to reduce confusion.  "Garden level two-bedroom apartment in the heart of historic Old Town" could be the opening phrase.

Otherwise it's perfect.

Screenshot 2020-07-11 23.42.41.png

@Ann72 I will do that

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Inna22 you need to change the property type from house to apartment.

Capture.JPG

@Lisa723 I cant! Chicago license has this property as a house and I am not allowed to change it. So annoying!

On a second thought, I will change it and see what happens (edited reply)

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Inna22 

Floorplan photo? Layout shown for rest of the building?

and sometimes when people are cranky they just land on the most convenient thing to complain about and I do think reviews can be self-perpetuating (both good & bad)

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Inna22,

The updates you've made really make it clear that's it's an apartment.  You shouldn't get questions about the dwelling type in the future.

Debra300_0-1594568911523.png

@Debra300 yes, however the city may ask me to take it down because the license is attached to the house and this apartment as a part of a licensed house. So I welcome all and any suggestions and will implement them all!

@Inna22  If the city does make you change it, you could change the title to "Garden Apartment Gem - Parking - Arcade" etc.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Inna22,

Since you are concerned that you may run afoul of the city of Chicago's planning department, I recommend that you change the property type to Secondary Unit/Guest suite.  This space type should alert guests that the dwelling is attached to the rest of the house.  The room category is applied to a wide range of dwellings.  I have been in hotels that offered one and two bedrooms suites with fully equipped kitchens and in-room laundry appliances.  This listing type may satisfy the city, because it will appear as just one section/lesser offering of the overall house space.  Also, guests should be impressed with the amenities and size of the guest suite, and appreciate that it's a great deal.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Inna22 

I think changing to Entire Apartment will do it. Do you think the city will even notice? You could just say that it is an "Airbnb Technicality" and to take it up with them.

But what about expending on your first line to something like:

"Garden level two-bedroom apartment on a quiet neighborhood street in the heart of historic Old Town.  There are other units within the building so guests will have neighbors but a great deal of privacy."

Zuly9
Level 2
Chicago, IL

@Inna22 just answer every message from the first up to the last message with something like;

Guest: hi, thank you for hosting me in your lovely home

You: it will be a pleasure to host you in my lovely apartment, you will find an amazing garden view to enjoy while having your coffe in the mornings

Guest; thank you, does it have a garage?

You; the apartment does (or does not) have a garage, our upstair neighborg parks in front (or by the corner) and you get to use the parking spot next to the tree.

This is just an example how I use ro deal with people when it was just bedrooms and they arrived and waited sometimes asked when were we leaving... do I need to say more? 

@Zuly9 love it, great suggestion