How can I preapprove or decline guests with no information on them

How can I preapprove or decline guests with no information on them

I want to screen guests before approving them to book as my house is in beachside suburb that Is popular for party goers. How do I know whether to preapprove or decline if I can't see their profile or reviews?

14 Replies 14
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Michelle2423 

You can always see the profile, click on "view profile" in the enquiry or booking request

(and the profile also contains the reviews)

Thanks, for some reason I couldn't access on my phone but can I my iPad.  Unfortunately they have no information on their profile and it's a group of 8.  Can I decline this or do I have to give a better reason.  Sounds like I'm being super fussy but it's my family home  I don't want to see it trashed.

@Michelle2423 

If it just an Inquiry just let expire.

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Wrong. if you let an Inquiry expire without messaging the guest back, it lowers your response rate. @Ricardo85

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Sarah977 

Read below...

Meu Perfil.

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

Doesn't sound fussy to me at all. It's your place and you get to decide whether or not you want someone there. I think your reason for decline is perfect. The guest will see the reason, so maybe something like, "I would be willing to reconsider in the future once the guest has added profile information and has accumulated a history of positive reviews that reflect they represent a group of conscientious guests." 

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

Agree with @Ricardo85 , if it's just an inquiry, you can ignore and let it expire. If that feels uncomfortable, you can reply with something like I suggested above, which is very reasonable, and if they come back with an aggressive response, you'll know you made a good judgment call. If they come back with a respectful response, then maybe in the future it would be a good idea, but still not now. 

Thanks Heidi, have done just that.

Don’t you get penalised for not responding? It was a request to book though, I think that’s different to an enquiry.   By the way, appreciate your help,  very happy to have found this support group. 

@Michelle2423 

Not answering may hurt your Response Rate. But you can always answer that:

"Thank you for your interest, I am driving at the moment, I will come back to you with more info ASAP."

And your Response Rate won´t be affected.

Ricardo

Meu Perfil.

Thank you, I’ll see your reply in the morning as it’s nearly midnight in Western Australia 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Michelle2423 Ask the guest some questions to get a better feel. If they answer and you are satisfied with the response, then accept. If they don't answer, then decline. You have 24 hours to have a conversation with them before the clock runs out.

@Michelle2423 

You can always ask them questions directly - about the purpose of their stay, confirm they've put in the right # of guests, whether they've read the house rules etc. Based on their reply, if anything makes me uncomfortable, I will say that I am not comfortable hosting a guest who XXXXX (wants to break my house rules/asks for things I clearly state are not provided in my listing/does not respond to host messages) and ask them to withdraw their inquiry/request. I usually wait till the countdown goes below 6hrs, and if the guest hasn't withdrawn their inquiry or request for pre-approval/booking by then, I click on decline. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico