How can I send a message to all previous guests?

Answered!
Jonathan47
Level 6
Cuglieri, Italy

How can I send a message to all previous guests?

It is a good idea to be able to send a Christmas card to previous guests. But I would like to keep up more than so with my previous guests. For example: I write a blog about our house and the surrounding area. When I have written a new item, I would like to send it to our guests so that they know something new has happened or been discovered. It encourages them to return. So why not create a permanent possibility of sending messages to all guests at the same time. Once one gets up to a hundred or so guests, it becomes laborious to go throw all past reservations and paste a message.

1 Best Answer

Well, it is not marketing to guests directly, but through Airbnb. By not making it possible, they force hosts to market directly.

View Best Answer in original post

26 Replies 26
Jody22
Level 2
Norwich, United Kingdom

I think this is such a good idea. I too have ended up here as I was trying to do the same. I am quite shocked the functionality isnt already there to be honest. I would really like to send an email to previous guests offering discounts and telling them what is new with the property. We have had some amazing guests stay I would love to stay in touch. Seems so laborious to have to send indivual emails each time and also a little bit crazy sounding!! A group update would be awesome. I guess if they were all to have liked my facebook page for exmaple they would get an update that way but it seems Airbnb are missing a trick as surely if we promote that way we could encourage them to re book direct!! 

Thank you for replying.

I just received an email notification that some one had replied to this thread, and followed by another email, asking for my review for a guest that check out this morning. Receiving the two concurrently, reminded me of how I have since  first reading this thread wanted to start an email list of specific guests, those that I not only want to come back,  but that would LOVE them to come back. And I definitely would like to update them of any future changes in my hosting, like when I unveil that I've updated from single occupancy to double, with a future full size bed. I also am planning to add the master bedroom, with queen size bed and separate bathroom, to what I have available. This last guest is one of those for sure! And some of my guests have expressed, that they may be back in the area, and next time with a friend or family member. I would love to catch their attention first, that I now could accomodate them. 
And I like that you added the Facebook element. I do have a FB page for my host home and have tried and considered different ways to let my guests know I have one. But wouldn't it be fab if some  how my Airbnb and FB were easily sync'd-connected in some way. I mean there's so many FB pages that I hardly think my guest will keep up to date with a past Airbnb host home one, when they've got other priorities. Anyways, I like the idea, and I look forward to any great ideas here in this thread, relative to a feature like this

Lisa377
Level 2
South Padre Island, TX

Yes! I was thinking the same thing. More bookings = more money for hosts AND for Airbnb! Win-win!

Keith24
Level 1
Plantation, FL

OK, so I just found out that Airbnb guest emails expire. Sure, should have known.  Nor did I know I could ask for their email after they booked.  So, I have a place in the Florida Keys, which has been hit hard by Hurricane Irma.  We are restoring it quickly, and in fact doing an almost complete renovation.  Of course we had to suspend reservations for several months, so no income.  As we are making great progress, I wanted to let all of my previous guests know we and the Keys are back in business with updated photos, plus offer discounts.  The press only shows the disaster photos of Keys (usually the wrecked trailer parks) but nothing on all of the rebuilding so demand has been way down.  Unfortunately, it appears the only way for me is to search through every reservation, and copy and paste a brief message.  It's quite disapointing we cant send a group email or even group message.  Even if I have an opportunity to send a Christmas message, it's generally too late in the season to secure much bookings.  The few people I have been able to contact (booked through other services) at least responded that they were happy to hear we are ok, and so are their memories of their previous trip to "paradise". And, oh yeah, some of those guests are considering re-booking.  

Todd97
Level 2
Grand Marais, MN

This is the number one reason owners and managers are leaving Air BnB and other large platforms and forming their own websites. AirBnB wants to own the guest contacts, property owners and managers want to own the contacts. Sending out a special offer to past guests is critical to survial and success in this business. In my opinion Air BnB is due their fee for the first time they find someone, after that ... no. I do believe that over time, as large OTA's like Air bnb see too many of their owners and managers leaving to start their own websites so they can control their own client base they will stop trying to claim our customers. After all, they are our customers living in our homes. 

Mark1225
Level 1
Cambridge, United Kingdom

The mobile numbers are provided in exported CSV by airbnb and you could use an SMS service to contact them on mass.  Obviously not appropriate for casual pitching, but might be for the chap with the hurrican damage restoration project

Joel163
Level 2
Chattanooga, TN

The original post mentions a Christmas message or promotion you are able to send to previous guests.  How can I find out more information about how I am able to send this out to via Airbnb?

Mel101
Level 10
Amsterdam, NL

I have a feeling that this contravenes  the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR )in Europe, where guests have to consent to the ways and purposes for which personal data provided online is stored and used. I'm pretty sure guests would have to opt in to getting such updates, and the fines for breaching their rights can be massive.

I can understand why you think it's a useful marketing tool, but I wouldn't care to be contacted for updates on places I've stayed, personally. It feels a bit spammy. Or worse, like those dreadful round robin letters boastful relatives of a certain age love sending out at this time of year, about all their amazing (often vicarious) achievements.  So I'd advise caution from a legal perspective and from the avoidance of accusations of braggadocio!

My pet dog who has just died has been a real favourite with all my previous guests- in fact many have booked simply because I have the dog. He has sadly passed away and I would love to let my previous gusts know this as I am sure they would be interested to hear and would share my sadness. This is not marketing, just information sharing. It's a shame I have no ability to do this.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Peter1466 

I am sorry about your loss.

Not sure what country you are in, but here in Europe, we can ask guests if they are happy for us to keep their details (GDPR legislation) so we can contact them in the future.

I put their contact emails in a spreadsheet together with notes about guests that I want to keep in contact with.

If you had asked for their personal email, you would have the ability to do this.  Having said that I am not sure how appropriate a missive sharing your sad news would be.

Many thanks for your message of sympathy and your advice about the spreadsheet, Helen. Much appreciated. Not so appreciative, however, of your comment that a missive from me to my many  lovely guests about the loss of Otto might be innapropriate. I think I might be the best one to determine that and not a stranger.

Ivo91
Level 1
Ede, Netherlands

Hi people, there is still no possibilty for this?