How can we get our guests pay the 6% tax rate as required by the NJ law?

Harriet8
Level 1
West New York, NJ

How can we get our guests pay the 6% tax rate as required by the NJ law?

In NJ it is required that all airbnb guests renting rooms for less than 30 days should pay a 6% tax.

How can we get airbn to charge that amount on top of guest fee?

Thanks 

Harriet

5 Replies 5
Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

I have to collect 15.25% plus 2.50 a night.  I mention it twice in my listing...once in the description and once in the rules.  It is annoying but people are used to paying a hotel tax.  i just say, "Sadly, I must collect this as Abnb doesn't

i got a Square and can almost use it or accept a check.  I email the guest the amount in my welcoming note as well.

no surprises.

Tracey181
Level 1
Belmar, NJ

I had my house on Air Bnb over the summer. We live at the Jersey Shore. Going forward on Oct 1, I understand the house has to be registerd thru the state as a business and through my municipality? Anyone have experience doing this in NJ?

Hi, I am also in NJ on the Shore.  Where do you get your information?  My town is now trying to block AirBnb with a tourism tax each and every time and your place must get inspected and get a new CO each time someone new comes in, even if it is the next day.  They really are trying to shut us all down...  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

My Airbnb is in Atlantic City, and Airbnb collects the luxury tax for me. I think it varies. 

Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

I now collect the tax thru an ABNB fund request....easy peasy and as it goes thru ABNB there is an added air of legitimacy and the record remains for all to see.