How can we help victims of domestic violence?

Jaylin0
Level 3
The Woodlands, TX

How can we help victims of domestic violence?

I wonder if anyone has suggested a program where AirBnB hosts can open their places to victims fleeing domestic violence.  Offer free or reduced rate for certain periods of time to give those leaving abusive situations a chance to find shelter immediately.

I'd be very interested in being part of a program like this.  What do you all think?

23 Replies 23
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The ones I provided you links to are in Sacremento @Michele1289 

@Michele1289

The state of California has partnered with the California Partnership to End Domestic Violence (CPEDV), Airbnb and Uber to provide free accommodation and transportation to victims of domestic violence.

In conjunction with the CPEDV, Airbnb launched a pilot program in May of this year, with the aim of providing domestic violence victims in the Sacramento, San Francisco and Los Angeles areas access to no-cost accommodations for up to 30 days. Reservations will be conducted in a manner that protects both the anonymity and privacy of the victim.

I realise that 30 days is not a long time but it may very well provide you with some breathing space and a safe, secure environment to begin your healing process and also, put you in a better position to gain access to the services and supports that are available to help you with the next steps of your journey. 

While the California Partnership to End Domestic Violence does not provide direct services, they should be able to provide you with information on this program, and advise you on how to get assistance from it They are contactable during business hours, Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., at (916) 444-7163. 

Also, below is a list of all the domestic violence services available in the state of California, should you need or wish to flee your current location. 

https://www.cpedv.org/domestic-violence-organizations-california

Very best of luck to you @Michele1289.  Stay strong, don't be afraid to reach out for the help you need (it's not always easy to find, but it is there if you just keep looking) and never, ever stop believing that there are brighter days ahead. You can do this, lady! 

Penelope

i would be interested. not only do i need this now. I also have place to offer for certain people in a glamping or camping enviorment. secluded.. i cant access now. im in nyc and am a victim of a abuse and because i was disabled by the persons intent to make me commit suicide by terrorist abuse and torture me. my family are threat to me also.  i just research this and found some thing about air b and b ties to this. anyone have more info? nyc.

I’d be happy to point you in the right direction and seek assistance with an agency that is committed to helping people who are victims of domestic violence and intimate partner abuse— in anyway they can. I’m outside of New York City but commutable. It is not secluded however, I know some agencies that help people and all different situations and transport them a decent DistanceawayWhere ever they are abusers may be located. 973-246-2143

ireland. is uk?

Deanna202
Level 1
Temple Terrace, FL

Hi my name is Deanna I'm a single mother of three and I've been in domestic violence relationships for the past 8 years I'm fleeing my last abuser which is my third child's father he tried to kill me twice and one of the times was just recently last night I'm in Tampa Florida I want to look and see if Airbnb had a program to help domestic violent victims because in Tampa Florida there is no vacancies no space in the shelters and for some odd reason due to global warming or climate change I'm assuming it's been very very cold outside I've had to sleep in the park with my 5-year-old my 7 year old and my 13 year old little girl for the past three nights I used extra blankets just to make sure we were warm because I was short on a hotel room I lost everything I had a good job at Microsoft for three bedroom condo and all and I lost it because my abuser lied told me that he was working wasn't working he got me fired for my job he tried to control me because he's a narcissist and to this day I'm being harassed I've called the police I've had to put in jail I feel that reports I even went for victim compensation Tampa Florida's spring shelter basically had us apply for financial assistance and then put us out two weeks later because the max out day is 6 weeks and you can't stay no longer than 6 weeks if you don't have family or friends you have to go so we've been in the park since my abuser has picked me up just recently this previous weekend and he locked me inside of a basic abandoned apartment with my two youngest children over the weekend no food no water no toilet paper just a basic toilet and a air mattress with holes in it so it wouldn't even stay inflated I'm at the point where I feel like I don't even want to live anymore because not only is life too hard is hard to raise children under these circumstances I'm constantly being bad and I'm constantly being beat I feel like I'm drowning and it's a whole mob watching me drown but nobody will come and help me or save me I'm not looking for pity I'm not looking for a head out I work have a good educational background I'm not I'm not a hard criminal I don't steal I feed the homeless when I can't even though I am a part of being the homeless if anybody out there reads this I'm not asking for anything but just some help or a guy in the right direction I've called the 211 crisis Tampa center to help domestic violence victims and I've called the domestic violence hotline for resources the problem is there is just no funding in Florida right now and everything is stretched in do the refugees and not having enough space I'm desperate and I'm starting to think very dark I know my kids need me here but it's kind of hard to see that when I have so many people trying to hurt me my mother just stole my income taxes fraudulently claimed my daughter and then put us in the street right after picked us up from the park I got my income tax check in the mail and two days later I was outside with my boxes in my bags and my babies like I said I'm not trying to gain sympathy or make the situation seem bad just to get some help if I get that if somebody is willing to help God bless you it's such a godsend but if not that's fine too at least my story is out there so that other people and other women and other victims can know but not only can somebody be going through a little worse than what you're going through but we're all going through this together at least I got my story hurt my telephone number is ** personal number removed ** that is pray that someone reads this please help if not I pray that everyone that comes across the stay blessed stay safe and if you see someone that needs help no matter how you can help please just do something cuz a lot of people say they'll help but they'll sit back and watch this happen and then when you're gone they're like oh I should have done something to help her but when she was alive you could have done something so please if you ever see someone that needs help please help please help them stay blessed

I know this is an old post but If anyone has any kind of accommodations that you could offer or are aware of in Washington State, I would be so grateful. I'd be more than willing to do cleaning or any kind of lawn care/ maintenance needed while I was there. I have no family after leaving the Mormon church and I'm here in Washington State Peirce/king county area. I'm currently homeless but we'll have housing available to me on the 20th of May.  I'm trying to hide and hopefully get out of the area before then. My ex and the man that almost took my life lives in the area and knows many people here. I'm desperate to get anywhere else. Shelters are full, DV resources are so hard to get ahold of a real person and even then they could only pay for a night or two in a hotel. I'm on nights 3. I paid for last night with the money that I had for my phone bill. 

I'm a hard worker, I would be more then willing to help in any way during my time in your home. I'm just looking for somewhere safe to stay untill the next place is open. 

If you can help or have any info or questions for me you email me at **[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Thank you for taking time to read this.

I am Emily ** I have a small dog and I got to find somewhere else to go before another fight breaks out . I can't take no more please can't get help from shelter because I got my lil pup but please my number is** my email is**

**[Contact details removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Christy290 I'm so sorry to hear you're in such a difficult situation. I've sent you a private message now.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen