How do I add additional guests after the reservation has started?

Answered!
Brandi3
Level 1
Kimberley, Canada

How do I add additional guests after the reservation has started?

I had a reservation for two guests for 11 days.  Half way through, two more unexpected guests have shown up. 

How do I add the additional guest charges to an existing reservation?

1 Best Answer
Ira4
Level 10
Athens, Greece

@Brandi3 Go to your "Reservations", find your current one, and then select from the menu on the right the choice "Change or Cancel". 

Then, select "Change Reservation", and you will see now a form where you can edit the number of the guests. 

You also can see the section "Subtotal" which refers to the total price the guest paid you. 

So, you can add the two guests at the number of guests and make it 4. You say that the additional guests came half way through. So, you can estimate how many days the extra guests stayed or will stay and find which the extra amount that you would like to ask from your guests. I mean, they were not 4 from the first day, so maybe you can adjust the price accordingly. 

Of course, that was a not a good action from their part, having two more people without telling you. But anyway, as hosts, we see many times action like that. So, you can communicate with them and explain why you are making that change. 

Of course, if they refuse to accept the change, contact Airbnb! 

I wish you the best!

Ira

For anyone who wants to contact Airbnb, see this thread:

Let's all remember to give thumbs up to hosts that help us!

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4

Ask the guests to submit a reservation change for the extra people: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1363/can-i-change-my-reservation-during-the-trip

Or submit a Resolution Center request for the additional guest fees: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Ira4
Level 10
Athens, Greece

@Brandi3 Go to your "Reservations", find your current one, and then select from the menu on the right the choice "Change or Cancel". 

Then, select "Change Reservation", and you will see now a form where you can edit the number of the guests. 

You also can see the section "Subtotal" which refers to the total price the guest paid you. 

So, you can add the two guests at the number of guests and make it 4. You say that the additional guests came half way through. So, you can estimate how many days the extra guests stayed or will stay and find which the extra amount that you would like to ask from your guests. I mean, they were not 4 from the first day, so maybe you can adjust the price accordingly. 

Of course, that was a not a good action from their part, having two more people without telling you. But anyway, as hosts, we see many times action like that. So, you can communicate with them and explain why you are making that change. 

Of course, if they refuse to accept the change, contact Airbnb! 

I wish you the best!

Ira

For anyone who wants to contact Airbnb, see this thread:

Let's all remember to give thumbs up to hosts that help us!
Richard1347
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

If the reservation is in progress, and you are the host, Airbnb will not let you change the reservation (at least, as of 7/1/2019). Therefore, when someone shows up to their reservation with additional guests, your options are to:

- Have the guest request a change to add the additional guests

- Request a payment

Beware:

- I have had a guest submit a change to increase the number of guests, but they have simultaneously excluded the listed fee for the additional guests

- According to Airbnb, the change should apply the pricing in effect at the time of the change, not at the time of the original reservation (in my case, the pricing at the time of the change has always been higher)

Joy298
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

You can't split their reservation at any time, no matter it has started or not, you can't change it to like 1 Jul - 2 Jul 2pp then 3 Jul - 4 Jul 4pp. ABB system is "stiff" and just does not support so detailed modification.

All you can do is send a money request and attach notes on it. Don't know if any insurance claim happened under such circumstance and whether there would be any potential problem dealing with the insurer.