How do I deal with a guest who violated the house rules

Kristen42
Level 1
Homer, AK

How do I deal with a guest who violated the house rules

Hi there. I've been hosting on Airbnb and been a superhost now for 2 years. I also use Airbnb to travel. I've had amazing experiences 95% of the time.  I've run into my first real issue. 

I had a guest and her husband stay for 2 nights. They violated every single rule - left lights on, filleted and processed fish inside, used the entire fridge and freezer to keep said fish and therefore, we had to eat out both nights because we had no access to our food. The biggest issue is that I have 2 indoor only cats. There are several reminders, including a rather large sign mounted on the front door to please not let the cats out. This guest left the front door wide open for about 20 - 30 minutes (I wasn't home when this happened). My cats left. Thankfully they both came back the next morning, but they were outdooors for 12+ hours. 

One of my cats developed 2 very nasty infections from being outside. The vet confirmed that he would have contacted it only from being outdoors. I asked for her to pay half of his vet bill ($207). Is this unreasonable especially give that this is house rule that is stated in many places. I'm just trying to see if my expectations are too high. These cats (and my dog) are my kids and I was obviosuly very distressed when they were let out. 

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2
Natasha-And-Dale0
Level 6
Athabasca, Canada

You can always ask but that doesn't mean you will get anything out of them. A truthful review and block them....thats all you can probably do.  I had a guy come downstairs to my living spacr around 5am and stink up my bathroom that is clearly marked private...his wife tells me later sorry but he didn't want to stunk up their bathroom before showering...almost as bad a processing fish in the house.  People are icky.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Kristen42  That your guests did not follow your rules should be handled in the review process.  That you seek compensation for the medical expense of your poor kitty, is probably not something you can receive unless the guest feels guilty.  Apparently all your other guests have been mindful of the pets and this one was not.  So sorry your hospitality was not respected.