How do I deal with a long term guest that doesn't flush the toilet

Deanna112
Level 2
Livermore, CA

How do I deal with a long term guest that doesn't flush the toilet

I have asked my guest on multiple occasions. But he continues to ignore me. My other guest is the one that finds the used toilet and she is obviously disgusted when she finds it full of #1 and sometimes #2. His excuse is water conservation and/or someone was in the shower in the other bathroom so he doesn't want to scaled that person. I have very old pipes so the pressure level does fluctuate when the toilet is flushed but never enough to scaled anyone. This is my house and I know how it works so I see this as just making excuses for "forgetting" to flush. He is an older man and he does challenge me with other house rules.  This is only one of 2 major rules being broken by him. This unsanitary habit and the other having costly plumbing implications by rinsing food scraps in the wrong sink makes me feel like he just doesn't care about the rules. I have signs up in the bathroom and the kitchen. Is it time to ask him to leave. I've only had issues with one other guest but she didn't stay as long as this guest.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Deanna112  I'd say you need to have a talk with him and let him know that if he can't follow simple rules, then he will need to leave- that home-share listings aren't suitable for guests whose behavior disturbs the other occupants of the house. Make sure you present this in a firm way- that this is a final warning. If he doesn't change his ways right away, then shorten his reservation.

@Deanna112  Your instinct tells you it's time for the guest to leave - I'd suggest that you follow it.

Actually, the best time to ask the guest to leave was the minute he "challenged" your House Rules. That is never acceptable - he formally agreed to the rules posted on your listing at the time he placed the booking, and as such he is in breach of contract if he doesn't adhere to them. No host in history has ever said "I sure am glad I tolerated that guest who disagreed with my rules."