How do I deal with guest we lies with their review?

Answered!
Joe80
Level 2
Chgo, IL

How do I deal with guest we lies with their review?

I'm a superhost and take pride in this.

this is one of the few times I left a bad review. A group was extremely loud, did not clean up, and left holes in my wall, pulled the heat register off the ceiling. of course I have pictures of all this. I basically left a review of what happened and did not try to get the deposit for the damages because I was able to fix it myself.

He left a postive review but after seeing mine review he responed with lies, stating that they were perfect guest and thhe walls was already damage. that during our walkthought he pointed this out which of course was a lie. what I like to know is, should I reponse to his lies and is there anyhow airbnb will take off his responese. or I should just left it go. I have a perfect record with reviews.

Maybe  I shouldd just no longer leave honest negative reviews?

1 Best Answer
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Joe80 please keep leaving an honest review. Anybody who opens your listing/profile will not be able to see your guest's response. Your honest review will help the future host to understand and know the truth. I think it is fair to leave an honest review. Everybody (hosts and guests should be responsible for their actions. If guests do not want to get a bad review, they should not break house rules, etc.

I recently had a complicated guest (she has positive reviews). So, I was curious, what am I missing here? I checked the reviews that this guest left for her previous hosts. The most recent (last 4) ALL negative reviews and one of them was a super host! If I knew about this (that she is complicated and suited hotel better than Airbnb), I would not accept her request. So, an honest review is very important.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Joe80

Now I might be learning something here that was totally unaware of!

You say the guest initially gave you a good review, but after seeing your poor review responded with a negative response. I was not aware that a 'guest' could leave a review response!! A host can, and in fact a host is invited to leave public feedback directly after the guests review, but I not aware that the guest has that same option. I was of the opinion once they gave their review, that was it for the guest.

I would be very interested to learn a bit more as to how this has happened in your case Joe.

Cheers....Rob

Looking at Joe's listing, it's from the guest called Dante I presume.

Dante gave a one line review ' Was a nice place and stay. Around a lot in Wicker Park area'

Joe's review on Dante noted that he was a first time user of airbnb but expressed disappointment with his group's conduct and pointed out the damages found after departure.

Dante then made a public response to Joe's review on his group, Dante's Inferno if you wish, to say in summary he - didn't do it.

Well, for Joe, everything is in order on your listing, Dante's reponse to your review only appears on his own page and would only be seen by your potential guests if they were drilling down on every visitor. So the chances of that happening are slim.

Good for you to leave an honest and candid review. Future hosts can make their own mind up in future on Dante.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Sorry this happened to you Joe.

No good deed goes unpunished. You wanted to give him a "break" by letting him reserve without prior reviews.

Most superhosts game the system by not allowing newbies.

I wish Airbnb would discount bad reviews from newbies, thus allowing more people to get housing more fairly.

Aribnb should stop Superhosts gaming the system, by pawning these risky guests onto other hosts who want to give people a "break". But this is their system.

Accept new guests at your peril

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Paul154

I am a Superhost, I use IB, nearly half  my Guests are new to AirBnB, how do I game the system?

David
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David126 Yeah I am the same as you David. I have only had Instant Book on for a couple of months, and I do have to eat my words...... it has been very good for my business. I have had a number of 'Newbies' that have come via instant book and some of them do not have a past but, I have taken the risk and not been disappointed. How exactly @Paul154 do you think I am 'gaming the system'.

I would think most hosts want bookings, and do not turn away potential guests because they don't score a 'ten out of ten'! We do take a gamble, some times it pays off, sometimes it doesn't....but I do find that gaming the system comment a bit 'sus' Paul!

Cheers....Rob

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Joe80 please keep leaving an honest review. Anybody who opens your listing/profile will not be able to see your guest's response. Your honest review will help the future host to understand and know the truth. I think it is fair to leave an honest review. Everybody (hosts and guests should be responsible for their actions. If guests do not want to get a bad review, they should not break house rules, etc.

I recently had a complicated guest (she has positive reviews). So, I was curious, what am I missing here? I checked the reviews that this guest left for her previous hosts. The most recent (last 4) ALL negative reviews and one of them was a super host! If I knew about this (that she is complicated and suited hotel better than Airbnb), I would not accept her request. So, an honest review is very important.

Tery0
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

I had the same experience! If guests can do that then the whole system "you cant see your hosts review until you write yours" does not make sense anymore. I cant respond to the response.

And i would like other hosts to know the thruth.