How do I handle guests with unrealistic expectations?

Maxine22
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

How do I handle guests with unrealistic expectations?

I had 2 female guests whom "I felt" had unrealistic expectations.  I'd like feedback from other hosts on this situation, basically to determine if maybe I'm the problem, or if they did indeed have unrealistic expectations, if so, how should I have handled it, or how can I handle it next time?

They wanted the furnace turned on (in July).  My listing is a self contained studio apartment (above ground walkout basement) in a large two storey house.  My husband and I live in the house upstairs.  There is a second studio apt in the basement also.  The AC is turned on in the home from June to Sep, and furnace from Sep to May.  If I turned off the AC and turn on furnace everyone else in the home is negatively affected (because they want and expect AC in summer, not furnace).  The guests said "is heat not provided?"  I said "Yes in winter, and AC is proivided in summer".  I personally carry a cardigan sweater with me always in summer when I go to the shopping mall or to restaurants because I find AC too cold for me.  But I never ask or expect public places to turn on the furnace or turn down AC to accomodate ME, since I'm just one person out of thousands who expect and want AC in summer.  Should I feel obligated in this situation to provide a portable heater, or not?  How would you handle this?

Secondly, a few days after check-in they asked for a supploy of plastic cups and straws.  I have no idea what they needed them for, didn't ask.  I responded by saying this is not included, that I don't have any, and that they have a fully equipped kitchen with regular glasses and mugs, etc for use.  Would you feel an obligation in this situation to accomodate and run out and get plastic glasses and straws for them, or just say NO, and leave it at that and risk getting a bad review?

Thirdly, they complained that there were mosquitos in the apartment.  They said they weren't at home so asked if I could go and take a look, I did.  I did not see any live ones, saw a couple of dead ones near the door.  The house backs onto a fully treed ravine, and because I'm surrounded by trees it is impossible not to have mosquitos from time to time.  What I did see in the apartment when I went there was food on the coffee table, left over pizza and an opened package of garlic sauce.  I explained to them that leaving opened food around like this will certainly attract mosquitos, and that a reasonable level of cleanliness is expected, and that they should remove organic matter (food waste, etc) from the apt on a daily basis to prevent smells and mosquitos, etc.  And I left a bug spray for them.  I also offered to have my husband go once a day and spray for them at a time that was convenient to them, they declined.

Then they asked for paper towels and more toilet tissue.  They were given a package of 8 rolls of toilet tissue, for two people, and used it all in 5 days.  Is this an excessive amount of toilet tissue to be using?  My hubby and I don't use that much toilet tissue.  What is a reasonable amount?  And I explained to them that paper towels are not provided, it's not a neccessity, and there are regular (washable) hand towels in the kitchen for use (and they have access to the laundry room).

How do I deal with someone who has unrealistic expectations?  How would you handle those situations?  I'm fairly new to hosting and would like a better understanding of what's expected of me and how to handle difficult guests.  I'm assuming asking someone to leave if they're not happy is not an option.  But caving in to every possible demand and request of someone like this is also not reasonable.

Thanks for your help and feedback.

19 Replies 19
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Maxine22 it's hard to handle guests like these. You want to keep your guests happy and ensure good reviews, but at the same time, you have to manage expections and draw the line when necessary because some guests will just ask for more, more more.

I understand your concerns about the heating. While I don't go by fixed dates, once the weather gets mild enough the heating gets turned off for the summer and only goes back on when the autumn starts to set in and it gets chilly in the evenings. That is quite normal practice here and I personally don't think it's reasonable for guests to expect me to heat a large house in the middle of summer because they come from a hotter climate. Sorry to those that disagree, but the guests know they are coming to London and not Barbados and should pack/dress accordingly. It's not just a question of expense, but also environmental issues.

I had a similar problem with a recent guest who wanted me to turn the heating on because he had been for a run in the pouring rain in little shorts and a vest top. Instead of taking a hot shower and putting on dry clothes, the minute he got through the door he demanded I put the heating on and was very aggressive when I said we don't normally have it on at this time of year. As a compromise, I gave him an electric heater, but it still annoyed me.

I agree with you also re paper towels. What is the point in them? We have plenty of clean cloths for cleaning up any spillages. It's kind of ridiculous how much waste people produce. Give them paper towels and they will get through rolls and rolls for no apparent reason. I'm not being mean. I just try to keep a reasonably environmentally friendly, but still comfortable, house.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Maxine22 

All people I know usually turn on the heating when outside daily temperature fall on 15 C (59 F) .

We provide ventilator in our ABB since we turn off the heating and AC when outside daily temperature reaches 28 C (83 F) . ( I don't use AC myself if the temperature outside is bellow 36 C because I just hate AC )

We leave about 2 rolls of toilet paper per guest no metter how long they stay. 

We leave 1 roll of kitchen paper towels + normal paper towels in a table holder + box of paper tissues per apartment, per stay, no metter how many guests we have.

I don't know if this is normal or not but we do it this way 🙂

I would not give a heater or AC out of season and if I think it is unreasonable request.

We do not provide plastic cups and straws either.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Maxine22,

Great to meet you and it is fantastic to see you want more opinions on your situation. 

There are some great responses here, it would be fantastic to hear your thoughts. 🙂

(Thanks everyone)

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I gave up the heat/cold battle early on. 

Guests are absolutely ridiculous when it comes to heating needs.

I leave a heater and a fan in their closet. It saves me the trouble of listening to their whining.

I'm so lucky in Seattle that A/C is not the standard. I just tell them no one has A/C in Seattle (meaning deal with it)

I still do hate guests who open their windows when the heat is on and it is snowing outside. Just my rant...

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Maxine22 I reread your question and thinking about the excessive use of toilet paper and wanting paper towels - maybe they are using toilet paper for make up removal,  thus wanting paper towels???? or have a bad case of stomach prob/ food poisioning. Anyway, I'm surprised if your toilet can handle all that paper - maybe its in the trash, I hope.

If used for make up removal, cause they don't wanna mess up towels - I get dark colored small wash clothes and have them in a container clearly labeled MAKE UP TOWELS -  just a thought. Best to you, Clara