How do I improve my guests' value ratings?

Answered!
Martha9
Level 3
Stockholm, Sweden

How do I improve my guests' value ratings?

How do I improve my guests' value ratings? I get high ratings generally, but in the category "value", lower. Why? What can I do to improve "value" ?

3 Best Answers

Hello @Martha9,

AFAIK, the Value parameter translated to "value for money", which mean whether the stay and overall experience at your place was worth the money spent on it.

A lower score indicates that it might not be worth the price you've set, so you can try to reduce the price and see if that gets you positive points.

Alternatively, you can also check if you can add any additional ammenities to your home, which might increase the value. 

TIP: Small low cost things like complimentary fresh fruits, local map, bicycle to go around can be added to improve the overall value.

TIP2: ASK THE GUEST. This works best. You can ask your last few guests particulary about this point, if the money they spent was worth and then invite suggestions from them so that you can fix things if there are any misses. Guests provide the best solutions.

Hope it helps!

Greetings from India

View Best Answer in original post

I wouldn't worry about that Value section, especially if you are providing a budget place already.

People looking for a budget place rarely give 5 star on value. 

Wendy-and-Markus0
Level 10
United States

@Martha9:

You have great reviews.

If you are happy with the number of bookings you are getting, I would suggest leaving your daily rate as is, you may want to consider adding a few personalized touches. It doesn't have to cost a lot but a few extra bucks spent might go a long way.  For example:

Small welcome basket of snacks, couple of fruits & goodies for guests upon arrival

Maybe have a few refrigerated drinks such as water and orange juice (not sure how expensive OJ is in your part of the world, but if too expensive find another popular alternative)

Offer a small basic coffee/tea bar for guests with a little note saying welcome and please enjoy!

Something we used to do and our guests would mention in our reviews was a handwritten note in our bathroom where we would explain what was available for their use and to let us know if they had any questions or needed any other items.

I know in our pictures our listing shows pretty basic items in the kitchenette, but we have actually beefed up our welcome basket to include several items such as instant oatmeal, hot chocolate packets, teas, coffee, small bags of chips, some mini-chocolate bars and a couple of whatever fresh fruits are in season. We also offer a new orange juice in the fridge and whatever we have in stock like a bottle of sparkling water, a cheap bottle of wine etc. These little extras might help your guests' perception that your value is worth 5 stars. Of course you cann't please everybody and every now and again, you get that person that gives 4 stars across the board.

When time allows, we write a thank you letter to our guests and leave it in a basket we have right outside their front entrance. We thank them for choosing to stay with us, we hope they enjoyed their stay with us, and request that if they have any suggestions for how we can improve the experience of future guests, we welcome constructive feedback. We've actually received some really great feedback. Especially at the beginning when we were first starting off.

One thing we did that was helpful after hosting a few guests was stay in our own unit overnight night and showered there as well. It sounds silly, but it really gave us a good sense on what it was like to be a guest in our own space. We realized we definitely made the right choice with the mattress, had great pillows, added a throw blanket to snuggle when watching T.V.

Since our pictures were taken by an Airbnb photographer we have added several additions:

We added pics of:

*Upgraded our heating/AC unit

*Added 2 lamps one for each nightstand

*Upgraded our T.V. most recently

We let our guests get surprised by offering more than they were expecting:

*Added a magnifying mirror in the bathroom

*Area rugs for the bed, shower, and bathroom sink areas

*Hamper in the bathroom

*Small closet with hangers

*Snacks in the fridge

We've been hosting since December -2014 so we are fairly  "new kids on the block," but we keep growing and hopefully improving on the type of experience we provide our guests.

Hope some of this info helps:)

41 Replies 41
Marcus0
Level 10
Berlin, DE

It may be cultural as well.   From my experience, it is rare that a Dutch person would give top marks for value no matter what the price is.

@Marcus0  Seriously?  I tried to track who had given a lower value rating: by looking at my stats and then comparing with when the last guest and stat appeared, and noticed that the value rating was lowest from guests who were students and kind of bored like with less money to go out and eat, drink and be merry for, so maybe they generally weren't having such a great time... who knows?  I haven't had any guests from Holland, but because of your "warning" I will put tons of fruit, flowers, wine and goodies in their room to try to preempt any lesser value rating any Dutch guest could give me...

Have you got any tips on how to up your guests Value rating or Overall Experience rating?

Margaret31
Level 2
Gairlochy, United Kingdom

I am new to airbnb March this year.  I have read comments about value ratings but I don't know what you mean by this and where does this show

Hi Margaret

To find the ratings for your accommodation just go to the 'Stats' tab (when you go to the 'Dashboard' it's the next tab to the right).

Scroll down and click on the 'Show Details' box to view the ratings for your place.

Cheers

Kristina30
Level 1
Kewdale, Australia

Intersting topic,

statisically I mainly get a high response to value, but a few do record low value to AIRBNB, but not to myself (private message). Im very close to local and International airport (without the noise) and get at least 70% mid/late evening arrivals, wondering if they think they arrive late and/or leave early there should be a discount? for me there is no difference according to cleaning, setting up breakfast tray, drink and choclates next to bed, washing costs (quality sheets, towels etc), use of kitchen and laundry facilities, heating and airconditionig etc. There is no discount if guest/s dont use the private bathroom or eat breakfast or arrive late or leave early. I have to deal with late and or early leavers, sometimes they wake me up, but thats the nature of having late night arrivals and early leavers, and I still give the guest a good rating if they have communicated well on times, clean, tidy etc guests. Would appreciate to get more guidlines/info please from AIRBNB.

I have five stars for everything except the value rating. I have four that are 4 star two at 3 star. The three star ones were both from people asking for a discount from already reduced prices. They both said that the area was too expensive. I felt like saying "and you didn't know this when booking?!" We added in a low cost idea of free waffles that they can make and oatmeal. We leave a bottle of wine (we buy local wine only since we are in wine country at Trader Joe's so it's cheap) and some $2.99 flowers. It has helped but I think the people who want cheap will always knock you down for your prices. It's hard to not take it personal when we have been so successful in our first year and then have someone say we aren't good enough of a value.  Personally I think this rating category should be eliminated. The other categories really are what matter most. 

John564
Level 2
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom

I'm glad I found this post. It's been an interesting read.

My last 3 value ratings have left me mortified. They've suddenly dropped to 4 stars so it shows on my star ratings beside value. Meanwhile, becuse things were slow in May they've come from guests who've already had discounted prices.

I have a theory that there are certain guests that feel they have to mark down somewhere and Value is the easiest option especially if you get everything else right. My other gripe is location but there is nothing I can do about that one although I do state clearly in the profile that it is not a city centre apartment.

Tuomas2
Level 2
Helsinki, Finland

My guest left a 4-star value/location rating. 

I charged 55€/night for a big and clean room in the most expensive area of Finland. Also arranged my friend to open the door at 7am while my check-in is at 6pm. 

They left very positive review though describing my room as "a hotel". I can't believe this 😄

Angie29
Level 10
Morro Bay, CA

I used to get disappointed about receiving 4 stars on value.  I am always going the extra mile with my hospitable personality, by leaving balloons, by leaving a personal hand written card with the specific guest's name on it for graduation/wedding/birthday/anniversay..., a second hand written "welcome" card for the whole group, along with Martinellis/flowes/banners for their occasion.  Besides all that, and besides my gorgeous home looking at the amazing views of the Pacific waves breaking, they still left me 4 stars in value (even location, but that's another IRRITATING subject).  If that did not satisfy them, NOTHING will, and I pray they book elsehwere next time.  I'm DONE with their disapointing 4-stars value ratings and I will NOT reduce my prices becasue they will still rate me low on that even with lower prices.            

Dee218
Level 2
Heber City, UT

I know the feeling, but what I will be doing in the future is to wait on the review first, before submitting a review for my guest.  If I get a 4 star they get a 4 star and so on.  Just like you work hard for the best service possible, you can't just keep lowering prices while cost goes up year to year with inflation.  Trust me they will get the point😁.

You wont be able to see the review until both you and the guest write the review and that when Airbnb publish both party review

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Hi Martha, rather then lower your pricing, I would add some more amenities. You will spend money, yes but you will recover it anyways and you will deter the low quality guests looking for cheap.

For example, I have a 4 port fast charger station for guests, books on our city on the shelves, TV in each bedroom, and a lot of small things that don't really cost much.

At the same time, I also spend 10k to renovate my bathroom and it looks stunning (better then the Ritz but at half the price), as well as spent a lot of money on things like appliances where the fridge dispenses filtered water and ice, expensive night lamps in each bedroom, etc and I still get people who give me 4/5 on value. So no matter what you do sometimes, people will still expect something amazing for nothing.

Do your best