How do I know how much I pay in fees?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

How do I know how much I pay in fees?

I have just realized that I am paying 3% in host fees on some reservations and 15% on others. Obviously this is an enormous difference and I need to adjust my rates. Is this is permanent change for some of my listings? I did not get any notifications. I saw some posts here about this applicable to other countries. I do not understand what the rhyme and reason is behind which listings and reservations are effected.

13 Replies 13
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Do you have different cancellation policies on them, @Inna22 ?

Never mind, @Inna22 . I just looked. You are paying the whole thing -- guest and host fees -- on the one listing. When I go through the process of picking a date, it shows $0 in service fees for me, the guest. So that's it. 

You pay 3% on the listing on which service fees are split between you and your guests. You pay the whole thing on the other listing.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Lawrene0 same policy for both. I should have been informed. This is supper upsetting

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Just got in touch with Airbnb. First they told me that 15% should apply to hotels but I am not one. The next level rep told me it is because I am connected to a channel manager but I am not. This is going to be a looong road to resolution

No fun, @Inna22 ! I read that in order to cover paying the whole fee, a host needs to increase her base price by 12%. The math made sense at the time, but I don't have it here in front of me.

I do have the 12% noted here in front of me, pinned to a corkboard, because I thought it was going to happen right away -- and stealthily, as it did with you... 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Lawrene0 yes, 12% sounds right since it went from 3 to 15.

My conversation with customer service:

me: why am I paying 15% in fees

CS: you are not. Here is a help article

me: I am, here is a screen shot

CS: oh, let me transfer you to someone who can help

new CS: that's because you are a hotel. Here is a help article

me: I am not

new CS: that's because you use a channel manager. Here is a help article

me: I am not

new CS: that's because you opted in to pay the higher fee. Here is a help article. I will be off for a long time but if you still need help, click help

me: I still need help

me: start a new help chat

new CS: someone is helping you, wait for them to return from their time off, whenever that is

me: start a new help chat, try to fraise the question differently so they do not bundle it with the original chat

me: how can I change my service fee set up

CS: here is a help article on how you can make a change

me: this link does not work

CS: new link

me: this link does not work

CS: let me transfer you to someone who can help

... and curtain

@Bez8 

@Inna22  Why don't you try calling them?

@Sami459 I was at work 12 hours today and same tomorrow and Saturday (we have a covid testing site). Sunday hoping to spend with kids. Call to Airbnb is multi hour project. I will next week.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"CS: oh, let me transfer you to someone who can help"

At that point I would have asked - "And what is your job exactly?"'

@Fred13 We all know it is to send a help article that matches any key word in a host's question (including "and" or "maybe")

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

no, I didn’t see it! And I thought I have scrolled through pretty well through the community board. Seems to be the same exact scenario with mine. Thank you so much for forwarding

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

this is one of those times that I'm glad that I'm currently opted out of ABB reservations...

good luck @Inna22 !!!