How do I know my message was read by the guest?

Ana7
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

How do I know my message was read by the guest?

I mean, in all other messaging systems (messenger, viber, whatsup) you see the mark that a message has been read. Here in Airbnb messaging system you see only when you have delivered it, nothing else. If there is no answer from the other side, you don't know whether they don't want to answer or just haven't seen or read the message. 

Or? Am I wrong?

17 Replies 17
Gritta0
Level 10
Berlin, Germany

Hi Ana,

yes you are right. You can not see if the message was seen or not. It would not be possible as it a guest could not only read the message here in the airbnb-system but also as email or textmessage (if its short enough).

So you can just ask, like "Did you get my message?"

But I don't see any problem with this. If the person has not booked yet and you need an answer than just assume they don't want to book. If the guest has booked already and you need an answer soon, than just call them.

Or what is the reason why you want this? May you can describe it a little more so that we may can help you finding a solution?

Liebe Grüße

Gritta

Vielen Dank @Gritta0

it is actually not that big deal, but it would sometimes make things easier for me. I wouldn't have to wrack my brain whether the message was seen or not. Sometimes I don't want to intrude and send multiple messages through all possible channels, if the issue is not that important. If it is, of course I'll call (although I am not happy to call a number from abroad that I know will cost me almost as one overnight earning 😕 )

Gail8
Level 3
Cape Town, South Africa

I find it extremely frustrating that I can not see if a guest has read my email message.   Is Airbnb working on a solution to this problem?

Tamara242
Level 3
Exeter, United Kingdom

I totally agree that this is not satisfactory. Once a guest has booked, as a host I then send them all sorts of directions info and instructions. Some guests reply, and some don’t. I don’t want to irritate them with yet more messages to see if they’ve received the message, but I end up then having to text them as well before they arrive with essential directions etc. It would be much easier to have a read receipt. Also, equally annoyingly, I send out useful info and then the guest sometimes doesn’t see it and I receive angry messages asking for directions at the last minute simply because they have not seen my replies to their initial message in their inbox. It’s not working. Guests should HAVE to link messages to their email inbox or phone texting or something, otherwise I’m constantly doubling up to be on the safe side and sometimes bothering people who’ve seen my original message but just not bothered to reply. 

Julie1632
Level 2
Cromwell, CT

Please add that functionality to the messaging.  As a new host, I just want to know that they've seen my message.  It's such a simple thing to implement.  Dating sites do it all the time!  Lol!

Deborah744
Level 1
Griffithstown, United Kingdom

Works both ways. It would be useful to be able to see if a host has read your post. Can't get hold of a host that I need to.

Jill188
Level 1
Rockland, ME

I agree with everyone on this thread.  A message read indicator would relieve a lot of worrying about whether or not my guest, or potential guest is getting my messages. Sometimes I reply instantly to an inquiry with detailed information, and never hear a word back from them. One person actually did reach out to me to ask if I had gotten her message.  I had not only gotten it, but replied instantly. Apparently she never go the message. Now, whenever that happens I  wonder if they ever got my message, but feel to weird about writing again.  A message read note would be great and since many other apps have it, I can't see a good reason for Airbnb not to? 

Eva2094
Level 1
Clio, MI

I totally agree with everyone.  It’s very frustrating not to know if the guest received the messages or not.. 

I feel like I’m constantly bugging them and I don’t want to do that yet I want to make sure that the trip is comfortable and that they get the information that I sent them it seems like it would be an easy thing to fix

Lois350
Level 2
Milwaukee, WI

Can we ask the guest for their email address and message them directly vs. using Airbnb messaging? Is that a bad practice? I've had a guest tell me that they haven't turned on notifications to receive messages.

@Lois350  Yes, I ask for guests' email addresses all the time, because I send them a hand-drawn map to my place, which is difficult to find. I tell them why I need it, and also give them my email address, and I've never had a guest object.

You can't exchange email addresses or phone numbers before a booking is confirmed, it will be blocked, but you can after a confirmed booking.

@Sarah977  After a booking is confirmed, do you message via their email address or Airbnb? I feel like guests aren't getting my messages, but I also feel like, from a liability perspective, I should keep using Airbnb's messaging, so when I have any issues with guests, all messages are within their system. 

@Lois350  I use both. Sometimes I'll stay on the Airbnb messaging, just sending them the map via email, sometimes we'll email back and forth.

It's definitely recommended to stay on the messaging for anything that might be contentious, so you have easily accessed proof to show CS if need be.

But my listing is a private room home share for 1 guest at a time, and seems to attract really wonderful guests, none of these demanding, entitled, make something up to get a refund types, so I'm not really on guard like many hosts need to be.

Amy2017
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I agree completely. I am new to hosting and have a guest in a few days time. My plan is to go away for the weekend (family live close by in case there are issues) and I am trying to establish when my guest when he is arriving, so that I/my friend can arrange to give him keys. You might say it makes no difference, but if I saw that he has seen my messages, but not replied, it might affect my host review. 

It is looking as if installing a key safe would be a good idea, but I am loath to do that after only two bookings. 

John6305
Level 2
Altoona, PA

Totally agree…. Just acknowledge the message….please….