How do I reject becoming a Super host?

Will2134
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

How do I reject becoming a Super host?

Hi there, can anyone tell me how I can reject becoming a ‘Super host’ or do I simply not have a choice?

I ask because I already have enough pressure and stress making sure that my guests are happy and comfortable  but the fact is I have a fairly old large house with private pool etc that always needs attention and will and should never be reviewed like a hotel.Im already stressed being a host let alone a Super host 

many thanks in advance, 

Will

14 Replies 14
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Will2134 I don't think you have a choice I am afraid. Just try and ignore it - Many people claim it has little influence on bookings anyway.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Will2134 

Will, you can't reject being appointed a Superhost! There are 650,000 hosts who list over 7 million properties worldwide and the platform is automated. If you met certain criteria you become a Superhost .....I am afraid that's the way it is!

Will, you are talking as though your life is going around in circles! You say you are too busy "making sure that my guests are happy and comfortable"  and doing just that is what is going to guarantee you become a Superhost. This is not a company award Will, it is a guest award for going above and beyond what your guests expected.

Rather than be afraid of it I would suggest embrace it Will.....I have learned over the past few years since first being awarded Superhost status in October 2016, Superhosts attract super guests! I cannot describe adequately to you the lovely people who have walked up my driveway and into my life.....They didn't book with me because of a swimming pool I don't have, or an 18 hole golf course that is not through a gate in the rear fence- line of my property.

I just list in a humble converted garage in the back-blocks of nowhere, but month after month I am full. They book with me because I am a Superhost and feel I will look after them, not cancel on them, they feel I won't let them down. I have things go wrong at times, but on balance they understand what I am trying to do. Superhost to me is.....money in the bank!

July 20 bookings.png

Will, mate, don't sell yourself short. I have met so many of the worlds most beautiful people who have enriched my life, they weren't looking for some sort of fancy facilities........

they just wanted to spend some time with a Superhost!  

Cheers.......Rob

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The only way you can avoid getting superhost status is to ask your guests to give you lower ratings @Will2134 which would seem counter-intuitive 🙂

I have a Victorian older house and have not had any problems managing guest expectations since becoming a SH five years ago. Just make sure your photos and words in your listing give the guests a clear picture.

@Will2134  It's not been my experience that Superhost makes any noticeable difference - be it to the type of guests that turn up, the expectations they have, or the amount of business.  Its primary purpose is to manipulate hosts into submission to Airbnb's standards.

If you don't want to bear the Superhost label in the next quarter, all you have to do is fail to meet one of the requirements. The thing is, that's not particularly good for your business. Instead, what I would recommend is leaving Instant Book disabled and having a more thorough listing description that conveys the unique qualities of your home and how they differ from the hotel experience. When you get a request, engage in a bit of dialogue to make sure the guest's expectations are an appropriate fit.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Will2134 we also have an older property that needs a lot of upkeep and my husband feels much as you do about the whole "superhost" thing. I think the best way to view this is not as something you need to keep but as an added bonus if you meet the criteria. So just do your best as you have been and try not to get too wrapped up in maintaining that status. As you said there is enough to think about when hosting. Ignore it. Having it won't hurt you and if it goes away now and then you will likely be fine too. 

Will2134
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks all for your replies. Tricky because I don’t live in the house and have to rely on my French housekeeper- she doesn’t speak any English and my French is still some what very basic. Because this year I’m only getting French customers I have decided to  not review my guests as  I don’t get to ever meet them myself ! I’m  reducing my price a little  and taking off instant booking. Thanks again for all your contributions 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

It's a big kick in the teeth not to review your guests @Will2134 . It's part of what we sign up for, I think. Reviews help guests with future bookings. - You could write them in English!

@Will2134 why not let your housekeeper review them in French, as she is the actual host (unless I do not understand the situation at all). There are no rules for the language of the review, so French will do as well. Your guest may even like you for that.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I found that superhost status led to inflated expectations.  It was pretty stressful for me to keep it up, and, although I was disappointed to lose it, for a while, after one spectacularly entitled guest giving me a nasty review, overall I'm happier without it. 

Lately, though, my rating has been creeping up into superhost territory, again. So I may get it back anyway. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Will2134  Hosts can choose to stress about retaining their Superhost status once they achieve it, or they can simply carry on in the way they have been hosting without any stress about retaining it.

So simply choose the latter. 

Because of the criteria used for Superhost, even a host who is doing everything right can still lose that status simply by having guests who give low star reviews, due to their own nastiness, rather than anything you had control over, so being Superhost isn't all about being  great host. 

There has been many a Superhost who has tiptoed around horrible guests who are breaking all the house rules, in terror of getting a bad review and losing Superhost, or shying away from cancelling a reservation that is full of red flags for the same reason.

Superhost is a behavior modification tool that Airbnb uses to keep hosts stressed out and bending over backwards to accommodate even the most undesirable of guests. Don't fall for it- if you get that status, fine, if you lose it, fine. 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Hi @Will2134 

Welcome to the forum as a new member, for your first posts it must have been pretty daunting.

I must say your listings look fabulous.

I don't know why your question has not been simply answered as you asked?

If you had been pointed to the Terms and Conditions that every new member gets battered for, for not learning verbatim, your answer would be clear.  Like "The Knowledge" a taxi driver needs to qualify in London to drive a cab - how you can be driving those lovely listings - I have no idea! ? ( I do, 😉). The answer they could have told you would be that SuperHost can easily be turned off.

In the terms here: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/superhost/terms (you should find an equivalent French version -https://www.airbnb.fr/superhost/terms )  you will find the following:

"Airbnb does not endorse any Superhost, nor guarantee or control the quality, safety, suitability, or conduct of any host, regardless of whether or not a host is a Superhost. If you qualify for the Superhost status, this means you’ve met our Superhost performance standards, which are measured by an automated system. It does not mean that Airbnb endorses, certifies or approves your listing or you as a host"

And:

"If you wish to turn off your Superhost badge, please contact Airbnb. Turning off your badge does not affect your Superhost status; you’ll still be able to enjoy the benefits of being a Superhost. If you want to turn your badge back on, please contact Airbnb"

I might have suggested that you could always invite a mate to stay - (I'll volunteer) - and could give you nil stars but accompany those with a great public review! If that doesn't work, I might need to come back again 😀. Although  great for me, your ratings would then offer you no benefit, so back to the switch off option..

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

@Will2134There is no consensus about the SUperhost status-is it helpful or not. In theory, you will have a few more bookings with the status. But this is just in theory.

Sammy35
Level 10
Pittsburgh, PA

just cancel a few people that will take care of superhost status

(please dont do that btw)

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Will2134  This post reminded me of how much I love the English.  Thank you.