How do I review a super nice young woman who rented my house,but let her Guests TRASH it?

Diane15
Level 6
Spokane, WA

How do I review a super nice young woman who rented my house,but let her Guests TRASH it?

Ok,here's the situation:

A very sweet young woman rented my 4500s/f,6 bed, 4 bath home to have what I was told would be a celebratory dinner for her graduation with her family (who would be staying at the home, 12 Guests in total, including 2 children). I only agreed because I thought since her family, her parents etc., would oversee and take care of the home.

After they checked out, I discovered the "dinner" had clearly turned into a massive party. They left the home a total mess, complete with food in EVERY room in the house, even chicken bones in the bathroom. They also left 9 cases of empty cases (18 bottle cases) of beer and much more in the trash and around the home. Obviously, 10 adults couldn't drink 162+ bottles of beer in the span of a day & a half.

They moved the furniture from room to room. I'm not talking moving a chair of two, they moved 10 of the chairs upstairs/downstairs and even moved a 6-foot tall standing mirror from the 1 level to the 3rd level...it takes 2 people to move the mirror. 

They smoked on the property (we have a STRICT no smoking/drugs policy that they clearly ignored) and I can't charge them to remove the smell of smoke because Airbnb doesn't cover "smells". 

They left a dust pan on my new dining room table

They left so many dishes, it took 5 loads in the dishwasher to wash them all.

They left plates of old food everywhere

They left 5 or 6 cooking pots with old food and used water

They did not clean ONE dish or glass or pan or anything.

They made a total mess of the kitchen, including sauce dripped down the cabinets and splashed on the ceiling.

We leave plenty of cleaning supplies, etc, but they clearly felt entitled to leave the home a mess.

Bottom line....I furious! And it's been 3 days and I'm still furious!

With all this information, the question is:

Do I :

1) Write an HONEST review ?

2) Let it go and not write a review at all ?

3) Just write a review mentioning how nice the girl was and not mention the state they left my house in  ?

I feel like I should "warn" other hosts, but is that really important? Should I just "get over it" and move on?

She has written a review for me (of course, I can't read it for another week or so unless I write one for her)

Thoughts ?

Thanks all !

7 Replies 7
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Even though the one booking your place was super nice - she is still responsible for the booking and for the behaviour of her guests.  If she were a responsible person, she would have made sure the property was handled respectfully and gotten her hands dirty cleaning up after the others.  Leaving a total mess is not responsible behaviour and this guest is not likely to be a good guest to anyone.  

I would write a short review stating the facts - left a mess that took you days to clear, a thumbs down and a more elaborate feedback to airbnb.  

You could also request additional payment through the resolution center to cover the extra cleaning time.  

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You were taken in by her charms - but she was a bad guest. Make sure other hosts are aware by giving an accurate (but brief) review. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am sorry but she is not a nice, sweet guest.

She lied to you, abused your trust, was disrepectful and left your place in a complete state.

There is absolutely no reason for you not to leave a review and every reason to. Why would you not want to warn other hosts so they don't have the same terrible experience that you had?

Write an honest review. Let people know what she told you she was booking for a family dinner for her graduation but instead held a wild party resulting with your place being left in a disgusting state. Mention what your place looked like after they had visited, the amount of rubbish, that they broke house rules by smoking in your property and any damage. Definitely click on the thumbs down and give them a 1 star rating.

Lula-And-LP0
Level 4
Duncan, SC

This guest was a manipulator.  She charms or "grooms" people like predators do.  Of course she was aware of what her family/guests were able to do and did nothing to prevent it.  She is counting on you not doing anything as she was extremeley charming or made you even feel sorry for her on this situation.

Please leave an honest review. Feel sorry for any future Hosts.

PLEASE don't hesitate to leave an honest review.  How would you feel if some other host had a similar experience with that "super nice" guest but gave her a thumbs up, and that "super nice" guest then did the same thing to your home?  Wouldn't you feel like you can't trust the Airbnb host community?  The host's ability to rate guests is the best aspect of Airbnb, something other platforms don't provide, and the only real insurance we have, "host guarantee" not withstanding.

CarlandDiane0
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

@Diane15  Leaving an accurate (not ranting, but calm and precise) review of this guest doesn't mean you're a bad person. It means you're a good and responsible host.

The other commenters here are correct. She used you, plain and simple. And believe me, she is not worried about you in the least.

I'm wondering, however, if other hosts might suggest you wait until the 14-day period is almost up before you post your review. She may anticipate that you'll be leaving her a scathing review and if she gets the notice that you left a review of her while she still has plenty of time to post a review of her own, she may suddenly find all kinds of "problems" with your listing.

Then again, I may be overthinking it. If you are wavering on leaving a review, I'd do it while you have the nerve to do it. Don't let this one slide. You'll feel better for having stood up for yourself and all the Airbnb hosts that girl will "charm" down the line.

Good luck!

Carl and Diane

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply.

As I was reading all the wonderful and helpful replies, I came across yours and this sentence really hit home :

" ...believe me, she is not worried about you in the least. "

That truly does sum it up now doesn't it?

I've NEVER written a negative review before, (I've responded and "fought back" to the few negative reviews I've received, but never left one). But as some of the other Hosts pointed out, me not leaving a truthful review of how she treated my home only hurts other Hosts. And the Hosts have never done anything to harm me...the Guest did, so why am I protecting her and not (potentially) protecting Hosts who she might book with in the future?

Thank you again and Happy Holidays!

Best,

Diane

I'm going to