How do I talk to a host about duplicate listings?

Betsy61
Level 2
Seattle, WA

How do I talk to a host about duplicate listings?

Hi, all - I'm hoping I can get some suggestions and context here from hosts.

I'm an experienced Airbnb guest, and I'm currently grappling with a problem I've never encountered before.

I have a confirmed (and paid-for) reservation for next fall, for a month, for one bedroom of a 2-bedroom apartment. Both bedrooms are used for Airbnb. The host has three listings up: one for each bedroom and one for the entire apartment. Of course the bedroom I will occupy has my dates blocked out on its calendar now. But the listing for the entire apartment still shows the whole place as available for the month that I will be there. I wrote the host about this, the day after my reservation was confirmed.  Here's the message I sent him:

"Hi again, (Name), -- I have a question: I noticed that you have an Airbnb listing for the entire apartment, as well as a listing for each room separately.

When you have a chance, will you block out the days of my stay on the listing for the entire apartment? That way, nobody will be disappointed. It's such a great space, I'm sure it's in high demand."

He has not responded to this message since I sent it four days ago. The dates of my stay are still shown as open on the calendar for the whole apartment. I don't want to be a pest and alienate the host. But I also don't want him to cancel my reservation if someone comes along and wants the whole apartment. His reviews are good, on the whole, although he has canceled a couple of reservations in the past. He responded instantly to my reservation request, with a polite confirmation.

I'll be buying plane tickets on the strength of this confirmed reservation, and I'd really like to have some reassurance from him that my reservation is a sure thing. But I don't want to come across as a problem guest.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

7 Replies 7
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Betsy61I would consider calling the host to clarify, or contacting Airbnb directly if you're not able to get an answer via phone or messaging. I would be a bit concerned also. The host should have the listings tied together, so that the whole apartment listing automatically gets blocked if one of the units gets booked. Maybe they don't know how to do that, and if Airbnb gets in touch with the host, they can walk them through the process. It's possible that the host approves every request - you don't say if this was an instant book - but either way, the host should be keeping their calendar up-to-date so guests aren't disappointed. 

Does this host have any reviews for any of the spaces?

Hi, Alexandra - Thanks for the reply. It's not an instant-book, but he replied really fast with a friendly confirmation when I requested to book. He has reviews for all three spaces. They're almost all positive, and the two that are negative are for picky little problems (like the building not having an elevator, and that the breakfasts are DIY rather than home-cooked). He responded to both of those.

I guess a phone call is a fallback, but I'm going to wait a little. I'm shy on the phone. Do hosts generally feel ok about future guests calling?

But if I write to him again, I can suggest that he can get the listings tied together. I wasn't sure about contacting Airbnb directly, because I don't want to cause trouble for him.

@Betsy61   Maybe message the host again, saying you are increasingly concerned about the whole house rental still being up and that while you realize he may be busy, could he please make time to respond, as you feel you need to contact airbnb if you don't get a response. 

It's very nice of you to not want to cause trouble for the host, but not at the expense of you possibly having your booking cancelled last minute because he got an offer for the whole house in the meantime.

As @Alexandra316 said, perhaps the host just doesn't know how to sync the calendars, or it could even be a technical glitch.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Prepare yourself. If host does not respond, make another reservation at another airbnb.

Then cancel this one. 

Yes it may be a great place.  But without a host reassuring you, he does not meet your needs.

Your reservation IS confirmed. If host accepts an incoming reservation for  the whole apartment, Airbnb will fine him for cancelling your reservation.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Betsy61Yeah, like you, I'm more comfortable using messaging rather than the phone, but if you can't get them on messaging, it's the next logical step. The way I communicate with guests is guided by them: if they're more comfortable on the phone, that's how we communicate. 

Honestly, I wouldn't feel bad about upsetting the host. They should get back to you in a reasonable time frame. I think that within 24 hours is a reasonable expectation - personally, I don't leave it more than 8, and that's only if I'm sleeping. I don't think you're being unreasonable, and if you feel you need a response in order to be comfortable, I wouldn't feel bad about doing what you need to do in order to get one. 

It's good that they have reviews. Maybe they're out of town or something, or it's a glitch, as @Sarah977 says: they do happen with Airbnb. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

LOL, I just realized that I do this too.

I am a host with an apartment which can be rent in its entirity or piecemeal.

Occasionally, I do double book. No problem, I upgrade the person with the bedroom to a better place (my master bedroom with ensuite bathroom) 

Everyone has liked my solution.

Maybe your host has a similiar situation. It is a standard practice in the hotel industry.

Betsy61
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Update: All is well. I just messaged the host again and he got back to me in about 2 minutes, with an apology for having neglected my previous message. He's been crazy busy, and he says he's updating the other listing now and blocking out the dates. He reassures me that my reservation is entirely secure.

This fits with all my previous Airbnb experiences, in which there are sometimes logistical glitches but my hosts have always turned out to be caring and responsible. Time to buy plane tickets!

And thanks to everyone here for the advice -- it helped.