How do i properly deal with damages caused by guest? Broken coat rack, broken handle on fireplace?

Tanya251
Level 1
Agassiz, Canada

How do i properly deal with damages caused by guest? Broken coat rack, broken handle on fireplace?

I am new to hosting and this is the first guest to damage the property. Do I put a claim in...will that make me look bad?? Do I give him a poor rating?? Do I message him and ask him what happened? Pls advise.

3 Replies 3
Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

@Tanya251 I'd advise requesting money through Airbnb. I usually wait until someone responds to my request for reimbursement before rating them. I highly recommend you add a security deposit to your listing if you don't already have one. 

How do security deposits work?  I have one but wouldn't know how to collect it.

Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Add a security deposit to your listing, first and foremost.  It discourages people from causing damage to your listing when they know they've already had a hold placed on their card.

Speak to them about the damage, but do so within the AirBNB messenger.  This way, all conversations are in writing and can be reviewed by AirBNB staff.  Say that after they checked out,. you observed X damage to X objects, and include photos in your message.  Give them an opportunity to respond - they may say yes, we accidentally broke it, etc.  In this case, you'd have their admission in writing and could go ahead and make a monetary request immediately.  AirBNB would reimburse you for the damages - have a justification prepared for the amount you're asking, if you do not have any original receipts.  If they deny it, you can still make the monetary request but it might be a little trickier to collect.  If they refused to pay, AirBNB would get involved to mediate the dispute and would likely settle somewhere in the middle.