How do no reviews count?

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

How do no reviews count?

I like to think that I fairly review every single guest. And I do review each and every guest, even the rare sub-par guest, as I think that it is in the best interests of hosts and guests to do so. Unfortunately, not all guests have left me a review, maybe close to 10 %.  Does this hurt us as Superhosts?  Does this hurt them as guests? I feel that it should count against them. How do we find out how many hosts did not receive a review from a guest?  How do we ensure that all guests will leave a review?

38 Replies 38

@Aurora62 there will soon be a Super Guest rating for our super guests. Not sure what the requirements will be for it. I would think that they would have to review most of the time to get and keep that new status.

i always have reviewed my guests, mostly for future hosts , but also as a way to cement a good relationship between us ( for the mostly good guests) . This has led to me making friends with folks from all over the world. And for the not so good guests, hoping the review may help them become better guests. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Rebecca160

Hello Rebecca, I think you are wrong when you say that only about 10% has left you a review. You are a superhost, so you got to have more than 50% of the stays reviewed. It is not so bad.

Check it out at Superhost stats. You can find it under Progess (Menu item).

@Rebecca160 and @Lizzie, I go with @Branka-and-Silvia0 in the sense that Airbnb should never forse guests to writte a review. Guests should writte a review because they like the stay or because they have something to complain, as way to help other guests in a volutary way.

If Airbnb forse, or even offer compensations for reviews, it may cause distortions, since guests may write reveiws without a thoghtful approach, in other words, just because they have to do something as an obligation or to get something in return. Some will wirite reviews in a hurry just to get rid of what could be a boring "task".

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Rebecca160 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Lizzie

Correction = Sorry, I should have written "force" instead of "forse"

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I agree. We work really hard for those reviews. When the guest can't take 1 minute of their day to leave us a review (after we've left them 1!), it's very disheartening. Especially, when our review for them becomes public on their profile in 14 days regardless.

I really think that airbnb should ONLY make hosts reviews public for guests if they A. have also left the host a review or B. the host left them a "would not recommend" review". 

Guests should NOT get the benefit of a positive review without leaving one for the host. Afterall, the hosts airbnb account depends on reviews.  

I gave a guest a great review even after he didn't stay the 2nd night of his booking. He asked that I refund him for the one day and he'd leave a good review. Well, I refunded BOTH nights since he didn't like it here (it was too cold he said?! We have heat but whatever). Guess what?! HE DIDN'T EVEN LEAVE A REVIEW! I refunded him $155 and he couldn't take a minute to leave a review? I learned my lesson there. 

@Donald28 I like your suggestion for posting of reviews! Super, really. 

@Donald28

@Rebecca160I agree with what you agreed with what Donald suggested.

The ones who do not agree are having self check-in and out and they are looking at Airbnb only as a way of making money - they do not care for their guests, they care only for the money they receive from them. Well, for the other part of hosts, as Rebecca, Donals and Aurora and many other hosts - money also meters, but we are looking at our business with a wider angle, and it will take at least 3 pages to explain it, but I am sure that only this is the best strategy for a good business! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lizzie   Please pass on to airbnb that it is totally unfair and not even the least bit logical to rate hosts on whether guests leave them a review. We have zero control over that. If airbnb thinks reviews are really important, and wants to rate on that, hosts should be rated on the number of reviews they leave for guests, and vice versa.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It is disheartening when a guest does not leave a review, especially when you know they had a great stay and that you went above and beyond for them. A recent guest had so many questions and needed so much help and I was happy to give it. I even helped her when she had a problem with a cancellation situation with another booking. I was sure she would write me a glowing review (she told me should would in a message after her stay) but no review followed.

In the beginning, I used to leave a review for every guest but then was so disappointed when they didn't leave one for me, even if I sent a reminder. After all, when you are starting out, you need every good review you can get because it not only encourages other guests to book, but pushes you up the search results and is vital after your one month 'new listing' boost is over.

Now I usually only leave reviews for guests that have left one for me first. Maybe I am shooting myself in the foot if they are waiting for me to leave one for them. However, I have not found that it makes any difference in the percentage of my guests that leave reviews. Whenever I deviate from this to see if my review will prompt one from them, it doesn't work. They are either going to leave one or not and in the latter case, they are already ignoring any reminders from Airbnb.

We have to be reaistic about this. Leaving a review for you is not going to be every guest's top priority. All you can do is try to encourage them. However much you have gone above and beyond and however much it hurts, forcing guests to leave reviews is a bad idea. Some will leave an ill thought out review out of impatience and others might be annoyed enough to leave a less than 5 star review because they felt pushed.

I also don't ever ask guests for a 5 star review. It's a bit pushy. I usually don't bring up reviews with them at all during their stay, but will happily discuss it if they bring it up. Instead, I send a thank you message after check out which includes a general reminder to leave a review (but only for the non-problematic guests). I don't mention 'positive' or 5 star. It works most of the time. I'm currently at around 75% review rate and 88% 5 stars. 

What should definitely change as @Sarah977 clearly explains is that hosts are measured on this percentage. It's completely non-sensical. Assess us on how many reviews we leave by all means, but don't judge us on the choices of others!

Philip166
Level 2
Limassol, Cyprus

I believe that this part of the evaluation is the only part that we don't have control.
Even the star system is in our control by getting better and better and finally reach the 5-star review.
I was never afraid the hard work, but failing Superhost status because someone else couldn't spare 1 minute for a review this is at least unfair.
I am the kind of host who always leaves a review, fill all the private feedbacks and gives thanks to their guests for their review.

About asking for a review.

This is my experience:
I only asked for a review one time.
It was my first booking and when we talked she said to me that she had a great time and everything was smooth with their stay and love the place.
After the check-out, I send a message to my guest and I kindly asked for a review when she got some time.
Her review was very good. I've got for Accuracy, Check-in, Cleanliness, Communication, Location, and Value all 5-stars each, but Overall a 4-star review.
I know some guests can say that everything is perfect but eventually, they leave a 4-star review but I was still kind of confused.
Then I read what my guest wrote on my private feedback and I understand why the 4-star:
"Please, don't put pressure on people to give you a review! it almost made me not review your place..."
Ok, maybe it was only this guest that felt this way and maybe only 1 out of 10 people will act the same.
But in any case, I will never risk asking again for a review.
And to be honest I don't think is our job (hosts) to run after every guest begging them for a review.
In my opinion, Airbnb should find the solution to this matter.

PS: I hope the solution isn't a reduction of the current rate of 50% to 40% because this will not solve anything.