How do other hosts treat an instant book that is made for a different person?

Cynthia159
Level 2
Denver, CO

How do other hosts treat an instant book that is made for a different person?

We had a person reserve our apartment for a colleague who is visiting.  At least they are being honest about the circumstance, as far as I can see.  They told me the situation and asked if I have any questions?  I replied that we would love to host their colleague and that it's better to have individuals book with Airbnb on their own.  I didn't mandate that they do that but made a strong suggestion.  What do others do for this situation?  Basically, I have no background info on the person who would be coming and the person who is making the reservation would be liable for any damages.  Anything else that I am missing?  Thank you!!

Cindy

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Cynthia159 , It is a third party booking and that is not allowed by Airbnb (only by owners of an Airbnb business account). The collegue should create an airbnb profile and book the appartment by him/herself.

Maybe for now to be added to the reservation as extra guest ? But the liability is still at the original booker.

Best regards, Emiel

Thank you, Emiel, for your guidance.  I requested the person to ask their colleague to create their own account to book directly with us.  The problem is that they instant booked so I'll need to cancel it and probably make it available to this person, if they truly want to book with us.  Thank you very much for taking the time to comment!

All the best,

Cindy

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Cynthia159 you can ask his colleague to show you his photo ID before or at the time of check in so you will know who is the person you gave your key to .  it is basicly the same as he found your listing on Craigs list or just came from the street except you will be paid through Airbnb.

Airbnb will not cover you in case of any damage, but it rarely does anyway, so...  

Cynthia159
Level 2
Denver, CO

Thank you for providing your thoughts about this!  It's a risk.  I would feel better if I could talk to the person/people, directly, but that isn't possible.  I'll keep your guidance in mind as we decide the next steps.  All the best to you!

Cindy