How do review ratings work!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

How do review ratings work!

@Ute42 gave a detailed explanation a few years ago of how the review rating system operates. If I remember, her post was called 'Guantanamo'

I do respect her post and her diligent work that went into it but, for me her stats don't seem to add up.

My last 48 reviews have been overall 5 stars! My current overall rating is 4.92, exactly the same as it was 48 reviews ago!

If I have, heaven forbid, one 3 star review I will drop to a 4.90 overall rating....why is it that 48 5 star reviews will not lift me to a higher overall rating but, one 3 star will drop me to a lower rating?

Why is the system so geared to penalise what we as hosts do! Surely if one rating takes you down, the next positive rating should take you up.....isn't that logical?  

Cheers........Rob

18 Replies 18
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Colleen253  @John5097 

This endless tinkering around trying to re-invent the wheel is surely not the most productive thing Airbnb could be doing.

'Today' instead of 'Dashboard' achieves nothing, the same as 'Performance' becoming 'Insights'.

All 'Opportunities' seems to do is tell me to accept pets and offer guests discounts, both of which I will do on my terms, not Airbnb's.

To this point I have not come across any new tools that I could say would help me.

Cheers.......Rob

@Robin4It's endless tinkering which achieves exactly NOTHING. All that faffing about with useless so called 'improvements', and yet another booking just came in from a guest with only a first name and an initial for a last name. That's ALL Airbnb can give me on this new reservation form.... "Tom K." is coming to stay at my house. Great! This is just so infuriating. Make changes that are MEANINGFUL, @Airbnb 

@John5097 @Emilia42 @Ann72 @Deb3312 

@Colleen253  

Agree 100% with you on that issue of security and safety. I think that's the most important issue that needs to change. This is completely unacceptable.  It seems like if ABB requires internet access and a credit card to make a reservation they can require a photo ID. Host also have to verify their government issued ID. Sooner or later a victim isn't going to settle for 7 million and make sure the billionaire boys club get a clear message about the true meaning of punitive damages on a scale they can appreciate.  

@Colleen253 thanks for the laugh that's hilarious! It was almost like annoying pop up ads. The worst for me were the comments or reasons from guest who marked down the subcategories. I only had two, both wacky, but there they were from over year ago right on my dashboard. At least those are gone and unlikely ABB will ever decide to let guest see them. 

I also agree with @Robin4 .. I don't think I'll be using it. The only time I did was to double check if there happened to be a day between guest that week, so who knows. It does have the option to display upcoming guest from most recent booking in the mobile app. Although for me the calendar works best. I like to connect the day of the week to each guest check in. But this might be more useful to other host who can't keep check in dates straight. 

Thanks again for the laugh!