How do reviews work for listing by room (motels)?

Noelle144
Level 2
Tennessee, United States

How do reviews work for listing by room (motels)?

We are working with Cloudbeds to move 35 motel rooms to Airbnb. They say that most hosts list by room type (King, Queen, Double Queen, etc.) versus adding 35 separate listings.

The rooms, even those of the same type, vary in quality as some are renovated and some are not. We plan to market the unrenovated rooms, so if a guest gets a renovated room, they are pleasantly surprised.

So my question is, how does the review process work? Does Airbnb lump the reviews together? My main concern is how would the "King" listing be impacted if one of the King rooms gets a one-star?  It's definitely a budget motel, so it's not out of the realm of possibility to get a one-star on the unrenovated rooms. Will Airbnb suspend the entire "King room" listing if that happens?  Or will that 1 review be averaged out by other King room reviews?  Hope this makes sense.

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Noelle144  I think you have been given bad information re lumping the rooms together by bed size. There isn't any way to rent rooms separately on Airbnb, as far as I'm aware, if they are on one listing.

You need 35 separate listings.

Noelle144
Level 2
Tennessee, United States

Thanks, Sarah. That's kind of what I was thinking but wanted to double-check myself with the rockstar hosts on this forum. I appreciate your input. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Sarah977 @Noelle144 “Normal” hosts would need 35 listings. It may not be that way for channel managers. 

in general, every listing has reviews & then a host is marked as an average of all those reviews. Even if you’re allowed to make a listing and then say you have 7 of that room type, I’d try to keep consistent between renovated or not, rather than lumping them together by bed size. 

Noelle144
Level 2
Tennessee, United States

Thanks, Kelly!