How do you evict guests that break the "no drug" policy

Kyle115
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

How do you evict guests that break the "no drug" policy

We just caught the teenages of our AirBnB rental (Mom is present) smoking pot outside. We have posted on our listing and guest book that marijuana is not allowed. Can we evict the guests and if so, how do you recommend the best way of doing so without our BnB being vandalized or trashed. Should we call AirBnB and if so, what is the number for local US/Arizona?

Best,

Kyle

10 Replies 10
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Kyle115 If you are uncomfortable with your guests smoking pot on your property you can always tell them face to face that you do not allow such behavior from them.If they do not agree with you contact Airbnb on the following number US:+1-415-800-5959. Good luck!!!

Thank you! We are new to hosting so this is quite frustrating. 

@Kyle115 The pleasure is mine! Happy hosting and good luck.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Stench of MJ can be overwhelming and hard to eliminate. Also tends to upset neighbours since highly potent.

I confronted last weekends guests as it was permeating entire house and made it clear no smoking on property, at which point they apologized.

seattle law is clear - no MJ can be consumed in public, and also not in rentals etc without landlord consent.

I will have to have a conversation with them in the morning it sounds like. Did you charge an "extra" cleaning fee? I fear that now that I caught them outside they will do so inside.

Tough conversations are not fun, but necessary. We are new to hosting so this is frustrating and embaracing being that we have neighbors. Thanks for the advise. 

Best,

Kyle

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

It's a breach of contract, @Kyle115, so you may as well have them removed immediately.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Do you refund them the remainder of their trip? My concern is that they have been also doing this during the day when we haven't been home. Not acceptable! 

Thank you for your response!

Kyle

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Kyle115I would recommend you use ABB for this. Thing is, you have a conversation, they take a dislike to your place and their review ends up being less than positive. I might be being pessimistic, but nobody likes being told off and on this platform, the guest can voice that in what they say about you after their stay.

If they've broken your house rules, they know they will get a poor review from you. Nothing to lose for them.

Get ABB to cancel them, then there can be no review left. Let ABB deal with the refund. It may be cheaper than the cleaning cost if they do smoke inside.

Thank you so much! This is fantastice advice. 

We will reach out to ABB in the morning first thing.

Best,

Kyle

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

@Kyle115, there's also the issue of whether it's legal. Here in Massachusetts it's legal to possess (but there's still no where to buy it, until July!) but if it's not legal in Arizona, you can use that aspect too.  I suspect AZ will be one of the last states to legalize pot... am I right?