How do you feel about countertop ice makers?

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

How do you feel about countertop ice makers?

I’m remodeling the kitchen in our STR. Our place is really a couples retreat and at max can have 4 guests, but usually 2. I was going to downsize the fridge as I think more storage and counter space will be useful. The full sized fridge is more space than most people need for a stay. My average is a weekend or maybe a 3 night stay, usually drive up from Atlanta, just over an hour so they bring groceries or stop on their way. 

I was thinking of getting a unit without a built in icemaker. It will save money on the purchase, plus I was told by a friend in the insurance biz that ice maker leaks are one of the most common household claims. I’d love not to have to worry about that! I was thinking of getting a nice countertop ice maker that makes clear cubes to leave for the guests. They are simple to use, just fill the reservoir and turn on.  I do my own cleaning and check ins, so could set it up and start it prior to guests arrival. 
Thoughts?

12 Replies 12
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Annette76  I assume the smaller size fridge will have a freezer?  Does no one use ice-cube trays anymore because they are so used to having fancy fridges that make ice? I've never had one of those ice-making fridges, nor any kind of ice-maker. What's wrong with ice cube trays in the freezer? 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Annette76  I'm with @Sarah977   I don't think any kind of ice-maker is necessary, I thought I was going above and beyond when I put in 2 different size ice cube trays in our rental unit.  

@Mark116  Good to know I'm not hopelessly old-fashioned 🙂 

And there's so many cool ice-cube trays that make different shaped ice cubes now. Guitars, teddy bears, moons, stars, fruit, etc.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I think more guests would complain about having a lack of counter space than immediately having ice. I have two small compact fridge/freezer. I have ice cube trays (with lids.) I often empty and fill the trays between every few guests to keep the ice fresh but I find that they barely get used. I wouldn't see an ice cube making machine as an added amenity. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I see any machine as something a guest could potentially break.

@Sarah977  Yeah, I agree, 'ice-maker' didn't work, 4 stars.  For that reason, and also that we just don't have the counter or cabinet space, we have zero gadgets for guests to use, pots/pans/utensils but no expensive Kitchenaid mixer to stress over or a juicer or blender.  But then, our listing isn't a 'hang out' place, people don't rent it to come and stay in for the weekend and cook and stay home,  the lack of those kinds of amenities not a big deal.  Remember the woman who used to post here from Texas, her kitchen had about 2 tons of Al-Clad and Le Creuset?  

@Mark116  Yes, that was Lettie from Texas, as I recall. It was like some high-end commercial kitchen. But she also hosted weddings and other events and I assume people did make meals there for large numbers of people.

When i built my house and my electrician asked how many plugs I wanted over the kitchen counter, I said 2 double plugs would be sufficient- he was amazed- he was used to putting in about 4-6, people have so many gadgets and appliances.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I’ve never had an icemaker and I feel good thank you 🙂

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

Here in the south(I’m in Georgia) it would be unthinkable not to have ice in some way.  People drink iced tea or cokes on ice all day long. I currently have a mini fridge with no ice maker there and a couple of ice trays. People generally end up buying a bag at the store and storing it in a cooler. Those always worry me because if someone doesn’t do the plug correctly the cooler leaks. So I ask them to leave the cooler downstairs on the concrete floor or out on the deck.  

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Annette76,

I have an 11 c.f. fridge/freezer, and offer two ice trays with covers.  I no longer fill and place them in the freezer before guest arrivals, because folks are skittish about that kind of stuff nowadays (but they will still drink beverages given to them at a drive-thru).  Most guests don't use the ice trays.  In fact, my current guests went to buy ice right after they checked in.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

My place is similar to yours,  4 guests normal, short stays. I have an under counter fridge with a freezer compartment only. Guests need more than that, they can buy a bag of ice. It happens, but very rarely. Just state or show what your setup is like. 

In Korea, convenience stores have stated to sell *cups* of ice. At home, Henry and I use silicon ice trays with lids for our own consumption - which is shared with guests. Haven't had anyone complain yet~

캡처11.JPG

캡처.JPG