How do you get 5 Star Ratings?

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

How do you get 5 Star Ratings?

How do you get 5 Star Ratings?  Advice please.

I am a superhost now. So it may be strange to you that I`m asking this. However, it is going to be difficult to make superhost on October 1st, as our ratings have dipped to 71% five star ratings from over 80%.

From May to July we had just one room in our dream home.  Hence many five star ratings. Plus I went the extra mile. Offered a coupon to a local hot springs.  Drove guests to local places when I could etc.

I want to make some money at this, so do not offer 20 dollar coupons to hot springs anymore.  I want to get the five star ratings on merit.

However, we opened a second room in an old building we own.  It is turning out very nicely, but there is still work to be done.  Maybe I am answering my own question here, with this explanation.  But I am still curious about how others get five star ratings.  Please share!

4 Replies 4
Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

I think the biggest precursor to success is the relationship you create with each guest, and the extent you go to make them feel special and appreciated.  None of those things cost money. 

As as someone once said in another thread, it's really hard to give poor ratings to someone you like!

Jude

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

It is a role of the dice, perhaps the best thing is to not get too focussed on it so not a big issue when it happens. No major benefit anyway and very subjective.

David
Ash-and-Dasha0
Level 10
Redwood City, CA

I don't think all listings should be 5 stars. I personally as a guest wouldn't give a listing 5 stars and overlook cleanliness, neatness, convenience, level of noise, and other things which matter to me even if I paid only $20 for it. The price is not always the factor for the good experience a guest had during their stay. I'd probably pay extra had I known that the price below the market place means it was actually crappy.  

With that being said, there will be guests even for a 3 star rated places if the demand is there. 

Blagoje0
Level 10
Split, Croatia