How do you handle double reservations?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

How do you handle double reservations?

Someone has booked my property for two separate sets of dates and is deciding when to stay. They have a while to go before they pay anything if they cancel. Would you say something to the guest?

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Inna22 I wouldn't do anything as this is just a consequence of the chosen cancellation policy. Sadly Airbnb don't provide very strict cancellation policies except to large operators and, bizarrely, their competitor sites!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Inna22 I looked up our strict policy in the Airbnb Help and it says the following:

Strict
  • To receive a full refund, guests must cancel within 48 hours of booking, and the cancellation must occur at least 14 days before check-in
  • If they cancel between 7 and 14 days before check-in, you’ll be paid 50% for all nights
  • If they cancel after that, you’ll be paid 100% for all nights

This implies that cancellations more than 14 days out get a full refund and yet this isn't the case when I simulate a booking on my listing.

Anyone know why Airbnb don't make it clear that under a strict policy that you only get a 100% refund within 48 hours of booking?

@Mike-And-Jane0I read the policy as needing to meet 2 requirements to receive a full refund: 1. Cancel within 48 hours of booking AND 2. Cancel more than 14 days in advance.

Some guests make reservations less than 14 days in advance and thus wouldn't get a full refund even if cancelling within 48 hours of booking.

@Mike-And-Jane0 this was actually on another site, I did not want to complicate my post

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  Yes, I would say something. It's quite rude to tie up your calendar from other bookings while they "decide".