How do you keep up your motivation after a negative review?

Hitomi3
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

How do you keep up your motivation after a negative review?

Let me vent this out, and I'm hoping if you have any good tips on how to keep your motivation up in this increasingly severe Airbnb hosting.

I just got my first 3 star review, and I feel devastated. Not only did this guest rate me overall 3 stars, but she also dinged all sub-categories between 2-4 stars. There was a miscommunication on my end around her check-in which caused her to wait for 5 min. I sincerely apologized and gave her a small gift. Because of this, I had guessed that it would not be a 5 star review and probably the check-in category would be reduced, but I didn't expect all sub-categories being reduced. As you all are familiar with, when I asked her how her stay has been and if there's something I can do, she left all the sweet comments. She was also not the greatest guest and had made a mess in the fridge, soaking my food with milk, but I still left her a nice, short review as I was thinking "humans make mistakes, and this was probably not on purpose. I shouldn't give her a negative review on this." Now I feel like a fool.

I know we all sometimes get these unfortunate reviews. My usual take is "just let it go, and build positive reviews with other guests". If only, this didn't push me to the edge of hosting. My overall rating is still 4.7 even with this 3-star review (thank god), but it just seems impossible to get back on track now. I'm probably on the low end of 4.7, which means if my next guest gives me a 4 star or less, I will fall under the "basic requirement" and risk getting de-listed. As I host more people and make a little more profit, I have been upgrading the amenities/furniture/etc to make my guests' experience a better one. I feel like these efforts might soon be a waste if my listing is threatened by a couple negative (or neutral) reviews.

How are you all handling these situations? Do you have any tips on how to keep your chin up other than just thinking "I should let it go"? What do you do to feel refreshed and start hosting again with a positive mindset?

21 Replies 21
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Hi Hitomi,

It is understandable that you are feeling disappointed - Especially as you have the goal of making 'Super Host'. However, I'd like to invite you to look at this all a little differently. I looked at your listing and you have rave reviews. People mention frequently that you are a wonderful host. They mention how clean and spacious the room is. And all kinds of other good stuff. Versus focusing on making Super Host, focus on all the great reviews you have, AND, focus on nights booked and profitability. If you are getting bookings and making at least a small profit (or at least, you are on your way to making a profit) and if you enjoy hosting (most of the time at least; we all have challenging guests and days) then that is what really matters. Focusing on these things help me with my daily motivation as I perform my hosting tasks and role. And, I would bet that you *will* make Super Host - maybe not as soon as you would have liked, but you will attain this status! But whether you do or not, many guests do not even know what a Super Host is, nor do they care - They will go on your listing and your reviews, which are overwhelmingly positive. 

Also, I do not even see this 3 star review on your listing - Is it still there? And did you respond publicly to this guest yet, if so? That will be a very important thing to do, and you want to keep it brief and non-defensive - But you DO want to respond. 

@Rebecca0, thank you so much for your lovely comment. You have shared so much wisdom on this CC, and it has been a great help for hosts like myself. 🙂

I have given up most of my hope for being a Super Host when the acceptance rate criterion was added. And I know this one review would not impact other guests' decision-making. My only concern is that I will likely be under 4.7 with a couple of next 4 star reviews (which will happen sooner or later because to most people, 4 stars is "good"). I wonder if the de-listing Airbnb claims for places with less than 4.7 is actually true.

You are right about focusing on good reviews and amazing guests I have had. 🙂 I don't have much problem getting bookings, and I have been enjoying most of my hosting experiences so far.

Yes, the review is still there. It shows on the last page for me, but it depends on where you are from, apparently (for me, reviews from Canadians show up first as I reside in Canada). I hadn't yet made a public comment as her comment itself was rather neutral, it's just her rating that was surprisingly low. But, I will respond to make sure my future guests understand and are okay with the potential flaws that I clearly communicate both on my listing and messages.

Seems like the system is getting buggy... I can't tag anyone right now, and my response to you was removed because the system decided it was a spam! 😞 Here we go again.

Thank you Rebecca for your lovely comment. You have shared so much wisdom with this community, and it has been a great help for hosts like myself. 🙂

I have given up most of hope for being a super host when the acceptance rate criterion was added. I am more worried about being under 4.7 overall, as a couple more 4 star reviews can get me de-listed. 4 star reviews will happen sooner or later, because most people think it's actually "good". I wonder if this de-listing Airbnb claims is actually true.

You are right about focusing on good reviews! I have had great guests in my less than 1-year hosting experience, and I have been enjoying most of my experience so far.

The review is still there. I haven't responded publicly yet, as her comment itself was rather neutral. It was just the ratings that were surprisingly low. With your advice, however, I will make a comment for future guests to make sure once more that they understand and are okay with the potential flaws that are written on the listing/my messages.

Thanks, Hitomi, for replying all over again to me when your first reply to me was marked as spam (Lizzie, if you are reading this, please add this to your list) and for your kind comments about my contributions to these forums.

Given you are concerned you are in a tenuous position, you may want to do what I have done, given we know that Airbnb tells guests that a 4 star review is 'Good', when it is not. I have a one page 'Cheat Sheet' for guests that cover critical issues related to my Cottage (e.g., hot tub and septic system care) and it is mandatory that they read this if they choose not to read my 'Welcome Binder'; I added a small blurb in there with the heading 'Airbnb's Rating System Is NOT Like A Hotel System!' and I did this in red text so it would stand out. In this blurb I explain briefly that 5 Stars means the property is as the listing description and photos implied. I explain that Airbnb's rating system is similar to Ubers - Enough 4 stars and we can be suspended or delisted. I ask guests to let me know if they are experiencing anything less than a 5 star stay so I can do my best to ammeliorate whatever they are not pleased with. I have been thanked MANY times by guests for this educational blurb, and I also have heard them express displeasure with Airbnb for leading them to believe 4 stars is a good / acceptable rating.

I wish I did not have to educate guests like this, but until Airbnb changes this incongruent aspect of their review system (guests are told one thing, we are told another), I really have no choice. Something you may wish to consider.

Wow - I have learned so much from reading these posts - thank you all!  I have had mostly wonderful guests, but I was focusing on the 2 negative ones.  I offer a good space at a great rate, but 2 guests (one wanted to stay extra days, but "outside" of Airbnb) and the other one just wanted EVERYTHING.  I have 23 reviews that clearly show how out of sync these 2 are; I had also come to the conclusion that Rebecca states (that a 4 star review is not a good one) and I will create an educational blurb for my guests!  Thank you again!

Rebecca - this is a wonderful piece of advice! Thanks so much. I'm going to make a similar 'educational blurb' for my own house immediately!

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

Is the review in Spanish? I'm Australian not many people here would understand that review without putting it through Google Translate. Is there a large number of people that would understand it in Canada?

Good point, Noel (I cannot somehow tag you). I don't have many Spanish speaking guests. 🙂 I was more worried about the lowered rating as it impacts my overall rating as a host, which then could get me de-listed. Thanks for your comment!

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

I usually respond to such a review in the right way, and try to swallow the bitter bite. Very often future guests will even ridicule such guests having checked what host I really am. 

But it's hard at the beginning, true, resistance comes with time

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

You're right, Marzena. 🙂 Thank you for your supportive comment. I will make a neutral public comment to it for future guests.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Hitomi

I think hosts are quickly forming the view that the star rating system or at least the management of the star rating system has lost all credibility.

Less then 4.7 out of 5 is enough to get a reprimand from Airbnb, give me a break.

It only takes one or two neurotic or drug-addled guest to do serious damage to your reputation, Andrew a regular poster on these blogs (and in my opinion one of the best) has stated publicly he could not care less about the star rating system and will not be a slave to it.

Superhost status = unpaid skivvy for 80% of hosts.

Unfortunately Hitomi you're in the cannon-fodder class on Airbnb which means your expendable.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Hi Hitomi. I would look at it philosophically, as I see most things. You have a lovely place, people like you (understandable) and you have a great attitude; all the requirements to make hosting fun.

Every once in a while, we will stumble upon a guest that comes from a totally different 'world' than ours, and despite the fact we did everything the same (once again), that particular guest turned out  not to be a great 'fit', because of where they are comning from.

I do not over-analyze it, it is like just a dissapointing page in an otherwise-fun book. 

P.S. As to stars and '4.X' vs '4.Y'; no one knows how that whole scene will play out, until the new changes actually take effect. 

Thank you, Fred. You made a great point about the different kinds of world people live in, and I love your metophor of a page in a book. 🙂

I know, the rating doesn't give much meaning to other guests, but it does to hosts, if de-listing less than 4.7 places is true. Let's hope that the "new changes" are the descent ones.

Sue102
Level 6
Sarasota, FL

Even though it may not feel like it right now, you're doing great! As others have already pointed out, you have wonderful reviews about you and your place. One or even a few poor reviews won't harm your bookings nor should they affect you, personally. I know easier said than done, but try to focus on the positive reviews, the pleasant guests, and know that this will pass.

I recall feeling devastated and angry with a scathing review from another host! The review was terribly unfair and petty and even contained false statements. Like you, I wondered how to move past it, how to feel motivated. I replied to the review and eventually it got buried in a sea of mostly wonderful reviews. 

There will always be a few nasty guests and a few nasty reviews. Do your best to not dwell on them or the specific ratings. You've got a great attitude already with your desire to continually improve your place and the guest's experience. Stay focused on that. 

Wishing you all the best!