How do you keep up your motivation after a negative review?

Hitomi3
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

How do you keep up your motivation after a negative review?

Let me vent this out, and I'm hoping if you have any good tips on how to keep your motivation up in this increasingly severe Airbnb hosting.

I just got my first 3 star review, and I feel devastated. Not only did this guest rate me overall 3 stars, but she also dinged all sub-categories between 2-4 stars. There was a miscommunication on my end around her check-in which caused her to wait for 5 min. I sincerely apologized and gave her a small gift. Because of this, I had guessed that it would not be a 5 star review and probably the check-in category would be reduced, but I didn't expect all sub-categories being reduced. As you all are familiar with, when I asked her how her stay has been and if there's something I can do, she left all the sweet comments. She was also not the greatest guest and had made a mess in the fridge, soaking my food with milk, but I still left her a nice, short review as I was thinking "humans make mistakes, and this was probably not on purpose. I shouldn't give her a negative review on this." Now I feel like a fool.

I know we all sometimes get these unfortunate reviews. My usual take is "just let it go, and build positive reviews with other guests". If only, this didn't push me to the edge of hosting. My overall rating is still 4.7 even with this 3-star review (thank god), but it just seems impossible to get back on track now. I'm probably on the low end of 4.7, which means if my next guest gives me a 4 star or less, I will fall under the "basic requirement" and risk getting de-listed. As I host more people and make a little more profit, I have been upgrading the amenities/furniture/etc to make my guests' experience a better one. I feel like these efforts might soon be a waste if my listing is threatened by a couple negative (or neutral) reviews.

How are you all handling these situations? Do you have any tips on how to keep your chin up other than just thinking "I should let it go"? What do you do to feel refreshed and start hosting again with a positive mindset?

21 Replies 21

^^ I think this is the key: "...to continually improve your place and the guest's experience."

Thank you for such a sweet comment, Sue. 🙂 I agree, I will focus on amazing reviews and guests I have had.

I am sorry to hear you had an unfair review from other host. I'm glad you have achieved a super host status regardless! It's amazing. 🙂 Yes, as Fred agrees, I will continue to improve the guests' experiences, and hopefully, will have guests with more positive attitudes.

Greetings. Let me join the wagon of bad review blues. I very much enjoy hosting and I go the extra mile to offer a clean and honest listing. The listing is truly a budget listing and with that comes the pros and cons within listing factors that are out of my control such as building age and location. I am as detailed as I can in the listing, but people do not read and then feel cheated.  I have experienced a few reviews now on the same issue: Location. My listing is adequately priced. I find that as a traveler (which I am also one), one should know that price will compromise one thing for another. I am a super host and I have gone from 5.0 steady to a 4.8. I am sure that I will likely lose my status. Although, I am making more money at this point. Just like you, find the extra profit re-invested in the unit and at the end ask myself if this is truly worth it. I completely feel you on this issue. Thanks for sharing. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Hitomi3

I’ve looked at your listing and read your reviews. 👍🏼

The review in Spanish is nothing to worry about, and you have responded well. 👍🏼

You are a kind and thoughtful host, or all the other guest reviews are all wrong... lol... 👍🏼

Your listing information is accurate to the description and your actions. 👍🏼

Are you frustrated by the star system system for Reviews? Yes!  🙈

Should you be overwhelmed by it?    NO....

Should you let it interfere with you running a STR from your apartment at a profit?   NO.

As a host for your market in STR, you look like you are doing just fine.

*** Just breathe,    Oh..... and world peace!

🙂

Cathie

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

@Hitomi3 Hi, when things like this happen and they happen to all of us I ask myself one simple question and this is it " could i have done better" if the answer is no then just forget it!  Human beings are very unpredictable by nature and as such cannot always be pleased!!!!!!!! I looked at your listing and your reviews, you do not have anything to worry about.

Regards Shaun.

Bright of you @Shaun69.

I also keep in mind that, in all probability, 10% of the population of this world are totally nuts,  so if I get 20, 30 even 40 good guests in a row and then inevitably finally get 1 of its nutcases, heck I am really doing fantastic. 😄

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

Nice one @Fred13 I think we went to the same charm school !!!!!!!!!! It maybe our previous careers although many miles apart have had a lasting effect on both our personality and attitude to life.

If you get my meaning. Shaun