How do you kick out a guest before his long term booking ends?

Thea-Angelie0
Level 2
Christchurch, New Zealand

How do you kick out a guest before his long term booking ends?

Hi,

We have this guest who is booked for a month. It is just a private room on the second floor whose bathroom is shared by guests of another room(which is currently unoccupied). We have a guest coming tomorrow so I went upstairs to do a clean up Of the other room and the shared bathroom. To my surprise, farking poo stains were in the toilet, toilet paper still floating, mirror is fogged with cloudy droplets of dirty water.  There’s  an air dryer in the hallway with his clothes hung when we have a dryer free to use by everyone. When I went to the other room is door was left ajar and I could see underwear and plastic bags and rubbish on the floor. I couldn’t see whatbthe other parts of the room look like as I didn’t want to peek but God knows how awful it could be. He leaves his dishes and baking stuff unwashed in the sink. He’s broken a glass without letting us know. It’s just too much to handle for $18 a night with basic breakfast. Am I too unreasonable if I ask him to leave in three days and refund the rest of his stay?

2 Replies 2

@Thea-Angelie0 

You will need clear house rules and guidelines vs. proof that rules were broken (=photos) and messages between you and guest, asking the guest to please follow rules, that you approached the guest and gave him a chance to improve. Also in the messages you exchanged it would help if you informed him that continued disregard for house rules is reason to cancel the remainder of his stay and have him leave. 

I had a problematic guest not too different to yours last year. I had tons of photos and many many messages asking for improvement. The Airbnb CS person was appalled at the guests behavior and offered to arrange a re-homing of the guest if that is what I wanted (=kick her out of my home). While emotionally Henry and I wanted nothing more than to kick her out, we decided against it - our guest was a young exchange student, and while she was a nightmare (=not house trained at all. We blame her parents) we didn't feel right kicking her to the curb in the middle of the semester. We did ask Airbnb CS to contact the guest on our behalf and reiterate the importance of respecting house rules. We also wanted to make sure there was evidence of guest misbehavior in case we ended up having to request payment for damages or a false accusation from the guest. 

Since it's your house, you do have the final say in whether the guest stays or leaves and when - but Airbnb will do their best to persuade you to keep him. Also, if it were me, I wouldn't mention you peeked into the guest room. Whatever you charge, you should always factor in heavy consumption, a bit of misuse, and carelessness - to a certain level. Not everyone will have your living habits and level of cleanliness. Some people are just slobs and are used to living in filth. Others won't care because it's not their home and they will leave soon anyway.

Hope this helps~ Good luck! 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Thea-Angelie0 Tricky one.

Personally, I don't mind if guests leave clothes & possessions in a mess in their room, so long as there is nothing wet, contaminated, or causing stains. So long as they gather it up & take it away when they leave, that's fine with me. (I find most of my guests live the way you describe!)

The bathroom issues sound minor, or would if it were a private bathroom. What I would do, is tell your guest that another guest will be sharing, & could he start leaving the bathroom as others would wish to find it?

Same with the kitchen, to avoid sounding over-critical, I would ask him to clear up his dishes promptly, "out of consideration for the other guest!" 

You are at liberty to terminate the booking if you wish, but from what you describe, I myself would let him stay, after a chat about expectations.