Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you like to relax?

Relax

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a great day.

Hosting can be an incredible experience and meeting other people is wonderful, however after a busy period of hosting, sometimes all you need is a bit of time to relax. We are human after all! 🙂

How do you like to relax? Perhaps you like to put you feet up and watch a good film, read a book or a nice bubble bath, or perhaps you like getting out and about, going for a nice walk, meeting family/friends or even a day adventure to the beach perhaps. 

For me, I like to relax by going for a nice walk usually along the river, perhaps grabbing a cup of tea on the way to walk with and then ending the day with some sofa time in my Pjs. Wild, I hear you say! 🙂

How about you? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

24 Replies 24
Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

Hmm, let's see.  

Cup of coffee and newspaper  or, occasional massage or, sitting on a New Hampshire porch looking at the view in any direction.  Or...early bed and a crossword puzzle.  Lots of options!

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Lizzie

Gym, swim, sauna, and bed in that order.

Regards

Cormac

ECK III

ECK VIII

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Lizzie, when our treehouse is not booked, we like to spend some time in it ourselves. It is two-fold: a chance to relax, coffee on the porch, etc., and a chance to look at the place from the guest perspective. 

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

I suppose my wife and I are always finding interesting things to do around my small village.there are a lot of younger families moving in and I like the diversity of ages.
My wife has her two brothers living five minutes away, and we have many cookouts because our gang is mostly South African and Zimbabwe expats
plus I have my "man cave."
life is good!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Bruce43

You poor bugger, fancy having 'inlaws' less than 5 minutes away!!

Yes the man cave, Oh Bruce every man has to have one......

Mine is in an old shed up the back of the block. This is where I have my computer, my piano and all those things that mean a bit to me in my life....except Ade....this is my mans territory, she has the house!!

When we bought this house this is what the shed looked like.....

18 b.jpg

And this is what the inside of the shed looked like....it was disgusting beyond belief!

26b.jpg

After the big cleanout I put on a new roof and did a bit of rough cladding on the outside. The thing you have to realise when you embark on something like this...It's a shed, and will never be anything other than a shed but it's good to make it as liveable as takes your fancy....

DSCN0043 b.jpg

And this is what it now looks like inside....

DSCN0045 b.jpg

IMG20170508143202 b.jpg

Through that doorway has become my workshop and principal bloody possum home...I am still trying to get rid of them!

DSCN0046 b.jpg

I am a long way from the house and I can do what I like and make as much noise as I like. I have double skinned the building and it is well insulated so very litle noise comes out of it Bruce. A few of us get together regularly, neighbour Randall plays a guitar and Chris the son in law is a drummer and Dave from Meals on Wheels plays a base and we knock over a few drinks and a few reds up here every now and then.

Every man has to have his man cave, so Bruce, when you see a post from here, you can visualise where it comes from!

Cheers....Rob

@Robin4 sorry I took so long to see your post mate.the man cave looks amazing.

I also noticed your wine collection.funny because I just hosted 13 folks from AUS this week for 3 days of water engineering from the Israeli perspective.from around your area up to Sydney and Melbourne.

robin, your shack is quite impressive.they cant take away my spear.png

me outside my cave protecting my last copy of "on the beach" VCR

haha

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow @Robin4 and @Bruce43! I want a wo-man cave now! 🙂

Your "cave" is amazing. You are like a DIY king Robin. How long has it taken you to craft out your perfect man cave? 

Bruce your photo has made my day, quite unexpected - not sure you look that relaxed though! hehe 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie

In actual fact it took me about 2 weeks to build that Lizzie!

I have a lot of advantages...I am retired and for the first 6 years of ownership of this property had nothing else to do each day but wake up in the morning and build or wreck something. It really was a simply as that! Ade was relatively mobile then, she was still driving so I wasn't a continual taxi service, I hadn't joined Meals on Wheels at that stage....all I had to do was try and make this property into something other than a total run down derelict wreck.

But I also think that is the strength Lizzie...it's not me, it's the property, there was always the basis here for building in some character. Most of the houses on this earth don't have character, and never will....short of knocking them down and starting again there is just nothing you can do that will allow you to show whatever it is is that you have. I mean, you can always put an ornament here or there, change colour, a kitchen, but to really make 'a silk purse out of a sows ear'.....not too many properties you can actually do that with.

I am absolutely sure you Lizzie would be aware of my favourite show on Television....it's called 'Grand Designs' I would never miss an episode of that show! I wouldn't probably want to live in many of them but the style that comes from that show is amazing.

I have seen the property of my dreams though, and it is about 2 Kms away from here, and it's just a pity that I am 72 now and time is against me to start again! But I would so love to do something with this property....

IMG20170513101648 a.jpg

Bedrooms in the second building with a gallery between. I know I could make something good out of these old sheds, once again it comes back to character.....never mind, just a dream but I do look lovingly at them every time I drive past!

IMG20170513101739 a.jpg

But back to reality....best part about this man cave though is something I had absolutely nothing to do with.....it's the wine!!

I have got a good collection, and there is a bottle for every occasion.....

Good wine rack..jpg

Although I have three wine racks here, this rack is for the better bottles! It's on a plinth with castors and I can wheel it into an old fridge I have out in the potting shed during the summer to keep the wine at a reasonably stable temperature. That way I have got a reasonable chance of drinking it before it goes off!!

Have a great weekend @Lizzie @Bruce43 @J-Renato0

Cheers.....Rob

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Very nice @Hilary-And-Ed0@Cormac0@Lawrene0@Bruce43

I love hearing all the different things you like to do to relax. 

I agree a nice view is always a welcome sight, it makes you realise what an amazing place you live in. Along with a nice cup or glass of sometime! 🙂 

Cormac, your relaxing day sound very energetic, I always feel good though after I have been to the gym...well until the next day when I have to roll out of bed. hehe - do you like lots sport activities? 

Bruce, I always smile hearing  about your man cave...! Full of mystery! hehe 

Are you all busy with bookings this weekend? Do you find you weekend is usually during the week?

--------------------

@Lizzie I have a wonderful young family with two small girls six and four very open and the communication is excellent.

and they just booked 2 more dates for June and July   I am on a roll with some excellent guests.

I have learned to ask the right questions and read between the lines

have a good and profitable weekend as I slither back to my "man cave" 

@Lizzie

I find training in the Gym reenergise me which I think is counter intuitive.

In my youth, I liked rock climbing and mountaineering, but as I get older I'm reading a lot more, I have one book on the go Tom Reiss's "The Orientalist" (definitely worth a read) and I'm looking forward to Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "One Hundred Years of Solitude"

Regards

Cormac

ECK III

ECK VIII

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi

I like going for a walk on the promenade, having enough time and good weather, to walk at least 6 or 8 km! 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sounds lovely @J-Renato0, I am hoping the weather will be good tomorrow here in the UK, to get out for a nice walk. 6-8km sounds like a good trek, I hope you make regular pitt stops along the way. 🙂 I bet the view for your walk is incredible? 

--------------------

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Yes @Lizzie it is 6-8km, but see that, it is 3-4km to go.. 3-4km to return.. It takes about an hour, without pit stops. When you get used to walk this distance it is not tiring anymore, only good for health.
When I can travel I also like walking in the cities. I was in your city in May 2015. I remember I took the tube and got off in the nearest station to Westminster Abbey. Having visited the Abbey, we went walking to the parliament, crossed the westminster bridge, passed by the London eye... and went along the banks of the Thames river till we got close to that site somewhat close to the Tower Bridge. That beautiful place with great views, next to that rounded glassed building it was my favourite site in London. I was there about 3 times after visiting other places and I did not know that that rounded building it was the City Hall 🙂