How do you make a bedroom inviting for guests?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you make a bedroom inviting for guests?

Bedroom.jpg

Hello everyone,

Before you start hosting, I'm sure many hosts look around their guests bedroom and think — would I like to stay here? This way you can see how welcoming it is for your guests.  

If it was an empty room then the answer would probably be no, therefore how do you turn your spare room into a place for paying guests?  

There are a few things to think about, such as what furniture is needed, colour scheme and little extras.  Perhaps you started with a bed and worked outwards or added new things over time rather than all at once.

What are your tips for new hosts and your personal experiences with creating your guest bedroom?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

116 Replies 116

I use cream or tan sheets. Just make sure they are high thread count and people will love them. 🙂

To make things easier for me when sorting the laundry and making beds, I use white sheets on the single beds, black sheets on the double and sofa bed and colored sheets on the queen bed. It saves time and sanity when making the beds:) So far everyone has been happy. On arrival the main comment that many guests make is that it's nice and clean and cool. We don't have heating in the house but have ceiling fans in every bedroom and aircon in rumpus room. I replaced curtins with venetian blinds, as it gives a new fresh open look. Although the rooms aren't dark, guests usually come here on holiday and so wake early and get going anyway.

I installed a water softener, which makes everything rinse cleaner... laundry, and people. Bleach is too harsh. It wears out fabric faster and isn't good for the septic system.  Water softener was a really good investment.

Barbara, have tried adding baking soda to your wash, makes the water softer and helps the wash bright and smelling clean. Avoid using bleach. Health hazard and some people are sensitive to it. I hope this helps.

Gabi

Hi Bing, I would agree with you that in the Philippines, white sheets would almost always be the best choice, especially in the hot season. That way you can bleach them if necessary (with all the perspiration lol). But, since I live and host in Chicago, we have four seasons here, so changing the type of sheets, according to what works for each season, is my policy. For instance, right now it's winter here and very cold in Chicago. My guests are very appreciative of the flannel sheets I use during the winter months. And as you probably recognize, the ambiance of the room is highly affected by the colors used in each guest room. It makes sense for you to use WHITE sheets as both practically and aesthetically it would be pleasing for hot weather. My guests are always very happy when they come in from the cold and find brightly colored tangerine or plaid flannel sheets on their bed. But I totally get the white linens thing. I have a home in Bali and I like ALL my textiles some version of white. Thanks. Rachael

I agree about varying sheet colors!

I don't know what they do with white linens and towels but it's hard to keep up with maintaining them clean because hard to get rid of stains. 

Since I use rooms which are prepared for family guests,I think that is special and inviting enough,that and a reasonable breakfast and a friendly welcome. I

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Having been a guest a few times, I think it is important to keep in mind the function of the room first and then develop the most pleasing decor you can afford.  Some basics I have found my guests have appreciated are:

1. Good lighting, both for reading and general room
  2. Side table for each person 
  3. Sufficient closet room and hangers and drawer space
  4. Hooks
  5. Mirrors for dressing

Decor should demonstrate that the room is clean and fresh.  I use white bed linens because the guest can immediately see there are no stains and there is no faded bedspreads.  My furnishings have evolved over the years as I could afford to replace aspects.  For example, I changed my queen headboard from black iron to padded faux leather.  More comfortable to lean against.

Other decor items are colorful but inexpensive.  I do not have personal items such as pictures but I do have art on the walls.  I have a small television which guests like for getting the morning news, but it is not a focal point.  

i decorate as if i wanted to sleep there, as if it were for me... not cluttered, but everythung a hitel room has. color coordinate rugs, bedspread and curtains.

I do the same!  I prepare my boutique penthouse in the same way I will like to be treated.  I even desinfect handles and interruptors.  Ultra super clean and beautifuly decorated.  

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is a great tip to think like a guest, @Linda108. I often hear many hosts here in the CC say that they try out staying in their listing or get a friend to test it out, before your welcome your first guest. 

I second you importance for good lighting, this doesn't always mean bright, I believe you can have sensitive lighting which creates a really relaxing atmosphere. 

Have you found after staying as a guest, this has given you ideas for your own listing?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie  Actually, the few times I have stayed as a guest has mostly confirmed what I already offer.  One place in Hawaii did have outdoor showers and a cute Coqui frog landed on my foot...:P  Wish I could have that in my house 😄

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww, it must be nice to have that reassurance, @Linda108. 🙂 

I like the idea of an added frog...I'm not sure an outdoor shower here in London, even with a frog would be that appealing to guests. hehe

--------------------

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lizzie@Linda

A frog that is really a Prince is welcome any day and would enhance one's stay.

We have frogs again in Exhibition Hall Gardens at the Auckland Domain...we used to have them all over Auckland and surrounds until we got over populated with people and housing etc so we don't see them around anymore.