How do you make a bedroom inviting for guests?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you make a bedroom inviting for guests?

Bedroom.jpg

Hello everyone,

Before you start hosting, I'm sure many hosts look around their guests bedroom and think — would I like to stay here? This way you can see how welcoming it is for your guests.  

If it was an empty room then the answer would probably be no, therefore how do you turn your spare room into a place for paying guests?  

There are a few things to think about, such as what furniture is needed, colour scheme and little extras.  Perhaps you started with a bed and worked outwards or added new things over time rather than all at once.

What are your tips for new hosts and your personal experiences with creating your guest bedroom?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

116 Replies 116
Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

I am always on the look out for low cost yet expensive looking decor.  Goodwill is great for things like wall hangings/framed prints, lamps, glass vases, books, candles holders, etc.  Area rugs really warm up a space too.  The space shouldn't be cluttered, but it shouldn't be empty either.  Get rid of worn out items and keep the place CLEAN.  

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This sounds great @Ned-And-Laura0. I think these are wise words, one of the most important things to people is that the space looks and feels clean.

Before, you started hosting, did you have to do much to get your guest room up to a certain standard or were you pretty much there?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I added a small dorm side refrigerator inside the closet with a couple of water bottles and put some snacks in a basket on top with a couple of glasses.  Guests appreciate being able to have a place for their snacks or small food items.

I always leave free coffee for all days and a welcome breakfast if guest arrive in the morning.  Guest appreciate those details.  

Love the idea of using some of the closet space for the fridge and snacks.

Thank  you! I will try it.

I went a step further with my standard sliding door dloset. I took one door off and divided it in half - one side for shelf with hangers and suitcase stand, the other I fit in a counter cabinet from the Habitat for Humanity store for coffee pot (water, mug, sugar) and installed a mini fridge on another shelf above it for snacks, beverages & a tiny freezer for ice chest cold packs. With directions I give an option for half & half or soy creamer (lots of vegans come to Woodstock) and directions to a natural food store/deli dlose by. I'm a painter so the room is decorated with landscapes of the area. chair-closet.gif

That's an amazing looking space, and very guest friendly!

I like the way you decorate and make the space very inviting.

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Mernie0 Your house is so artistic. Also a great idea for a wardrobe.

I think cleanness is a must!  I also use a bit of art & color in order to take pictures for positing.  It is a matter of following your heart and making space like a small paradise. 

I agree that cleanness is key!  Also ,   Being simple and good taste really makes guests appreciate your  the space !

Bing11
Level 1
Rodriguez, Philippines

Using white sheets/ linens is always best. 

Although I agree with you, but I have super hard water and have a hard time keeping things crisp white. Could I still be considered luxury if I have off white or grey sheets ? 

Clorox bleach will keep your linens white and smelling fresh. I hang our sheets outdoors to dry, weather permitting of course.