How do you make a bedroom inviting for guests?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you make a bedroom inviting for guests?

Bedroom.jpg

Hello everyone,

Before you start hosting, I'm sure many hosts look around their guests bedroom and think — would I like to stay here? This way you can see how welcoming it is for your guests.  

If it was an empty room then the answer would probably be no, therefore how do you turn your spare room into a place for paying guests?  

There are a few things to think about, such as what furniture is needed, colour scheme and little extras.  Perhaps you started with a bed and worked outwards or added new things over time rather than all at once.

What are your tips for new hosts and your personal experiences with creating your guest bedroom?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

116 Replies 116

Stephen and I are both Superhosts  and also stay in Airbnbs when we travel. The number one issue for us is finding  enough clean/clear space to put our things down on, dressers, tables, etc.

lighting is also critical, for reading, checking e-mails etc.

lastly, the bathroom should always have a night light so in the dark we can find their way to and from, without switching on a big light, waking up the partner.

Eileen L

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I slept in my guest room last night as it was free - I wanted to check it out and also test the relatively new mattress for comfort.  The mattress was great, no problems there, but what I discovered was that the quilted pillow protectors I have been using are AWFUL.   I've been using these things for 3.5 years and not one guest has complained about them but I found that they made the pillows far too bulky and very warm in the hot weather we are currently having.  Unable to sleep properly, in a foul mood and muttering obscenities I came downstairs at 4am and ordered 4 non-quilted pillow protectors on line - anti allergenic and supposed to keep heads cool while sleeping.  So, when they arrive, I shall put them on the pillows and see if any guest makes a comment about them, particularly ones who have stayed here before.

I put dimmer switches in the bedrooms main lighting and have a lamp close to the bed for reading.

Steven440
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Very good tip! Let a friend try it out first, preferably one who has had experiance of other AirBnB's see if they think you are giving value for money and what you could do to improve things as a host. I personally believe you have to show trust to gain repect and whilst I may not leave the family silver sitting on the door mat I do leave my electric guitar complete with amp and leads in the living room and state guests are welcome to use it as long as they tune it up and don't annoy the noughbours late at night! 🙂     

Faith54
Level 2
Roodepoort, South Africa

II totally agree about the lighting. I absolutely hate staying  in place with bad lighting.  I think there should always be great lighting with an option to dim. 

Ina--Rose0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I'm relatlively new to this business. The room should be welcoming, warm, cosy and CLEAN. Bedding/Linen should be crease free.

In my listing, there's an iron and ironing board, hairdryer and clothes hangers. Guests, especially WORKERS, appreciate thoughtful touches like these. A pretty box of tissues as well as antibacterial wipes are little extras which guests comments on.

Ina-R

London 

Good points to remember

Hi Linda,

What kind of hooks and what are they used for?

Thank you,

Annette

I think the type of guest and purpose of stay also something to consider. I host a lot of exchange students that stay 1~4 months and  I keep shelves and walls clear so that guests can personalize the space a little bit. I am sure they will have books, souveniers, family pics and their own "clutter" of stuff they want to keep on the bedside table or desk or on a shelf. My guest room has a fairly spacious built-in closet&drawers for clothes and personal belongings. I also provide a whole bunch of different types of hangers. I usually let my guests know that as long as they don't do anything "permanent" to the wallpaper or furniture, they are free to make the room their own while they stay. So I guess my room probably isn't the most warm and inviting when a guest first arrives, but once they unpack and have their own personal and familar things out in sight they seem to get settled and feel at home quickly.

Color-wise, I've never really been the type to like bright, bold colors so I tend to stick with white, cream, wood, blues and greys and like clean, straight lines - nothing fancy or frilly. I have a bit of red in the living room for pops of color because things were getting to be a bit too bland (even for me) but I think that's about it. I'm not really into interior design and am not artsy at all............. I guess in terms of design and fashion I'm boring 🙂 Plus, Henry really hates clutter of any kind so we tend to keep things behind doors and out of sight.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I'm still getting used to even providing a mattress in the treehouse, so I'm of no help there. Can't decide whether the ugly knitted blanket or the tasteless quilt is best...

But I do have the spare room in the house. When I opened it up as an occasional second listing, I made sure it was what I like when travelling: well-lit for reading/working, comfortable, warm, and clean. I added the bonuses too - outlets made convenient for charging devices, hooks for towels, ample shelf space, white linens. That was fine, but what I really advise is a second opinion. I asked a family member to give me notes while she was staying in the room. She recommended clearing most of the books and all of the antique hats in order to accommodate more of the guests' things, and adding a computer/makeup table and a mirror. 

She was right about all of it. No guest has asked for extra antique hats.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Clean, quality linen that is either ironed or at least not too wrinkled is first and foremost, for sure. I like at least the sheets to be white. I spend a lot of time and money on the linens in both my listings, and I love them: I wish I spent the same amount of effort on my own sheets! Maybe I should! Generally by the time I've gotten to bed of an evening, it's been "pre-enjoyed" by two 85 lb greyhounds and looks like a dog's dinner.

I always like side tables, and either bedside lamps or some way to turn off the overhead lamps from bed. As a glasses wearer, not having a table is really annoying. I also like to have a plug on each side of the bed for smartphone and e-reader charging.

Having ways for guests to personally change the temperature to suit them is also good. I provide a heater, a fan, an air cleaner, and an air conditioner so people can adjust it to suit them. These devices are also a good way to provide white noise to help cover up ambient sounds. If there is a lot of ambient sound, disposable earplugs are a cheap extra you can provide.

Having blackout blinds or drapes is always a nice touch too. Hotels have them for a reason: some people can't sleep if there is any light.

Having a full-length mirror is also good. Other must-haves for me are a suitcase rack and plenty of hangers in the closet. Both can be purchased cheaply on Amazon. I had to go to Germany on business a little while ago, and the hotel I stayed at provided 3 hangers. 3! For 2 weeks of meetings and events. Super annoying not to have the ability to hang stuff up. If you're hosting in your own home, you should also make enough wardrobe space available for guests.

As far as I'm concerned, a clean, decluttered space is always going to be best, no matter what the decor is like.

As for the bedding in my opinion I am extremely focused on crisp clean colors and linen that has been ironed and starched staying clear of colored printed bedspreads which I always felt was a red flag for unlaundered bedding between guests. When ever I stayed at the finest hotels white on white for bedding  with pops of color throughout decor always gave the impression of cleanliness and good housekeeping 

Sally4
Level 6
Snoqualmie Pass, WA

Everyone has great ideas!

I believe that the room needs to be true to its environment.  A room in New Mexico may have clay tiles on floor, stucco walls and a rustic iron bed.  A room on the beach can do sea gulls, white, slipcovered furniture and a white picket fence headboard.  Our home is in the mountains, so we have pine walls, stone floors, and rustic furnishings.  

But, please, everything in the room should have a purpose.  Once, I had a guest take an artistic photograph of the snow shoes I had left beside the door.  It wasn’t décor, I had just come in from doing a chore in the deep snow!  I have stayed in an Amish style B&B where it took an extra five minutes to clear the bed of all the faceless dolls.  I stayed in one guest room with a huge bouquet of roses in the room.  While fumbling in the dark, trying to find a lamp, I knocked the vase over.  It was a fiasco.  Water in the luggage and all.  Art on the wall is fine for warming up a room.  Books on local history and activities add a touch of character.  A warm lap quilt draped over the arm of a chair can add that pop of color.  But be sure everything has a purpose!

The number one priority has to be the bed.  Great linens, smooth and pristine white is our favorite.  Plush comforters in as large a size as is appropriate.  I use queen sized feather comforter on our twin beds. Can't tell you how many guests comment on the bedding!  Pass on the cutesy pillows (I know, sacrilege for some) but be generous with a selection of sleeping pillows.  (We try to provide 2 standards & one king per guest)

A place to sit is a must in my opinion.  An armchair per guest if you can!  It is nice to sit in your room and relax, watching TV or reading a book.  I love using slip covers, so they can be laundered when soiled.  (I also wash them seasonally) Drape a cozy afghan or lap quilt, if appropriate. 

Many of my guests seem to appreciate the TV trays and the luggage stands.   

A jar of snacks also gets positive comments from my guests.  I put a box of raisins, bag of peanuts, granola bar, rice crispy bar and some small candies in a glass jar.  People who have been traveling until late into the night, have found these invaluable. 

I also have individual Keurig coffee makers in each room.

Traveling ourselves is the best way to find what makes a good room great! Get out there and visit other Air BnB's!

Sally,  I live down the road a couple of hours in the Yakima Valley on the Yakima River. Do hosts ever swap spaces for a night to evaluate and compare?

Julie

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

Put a bucket full of ice cubes and a good Rosé Champagne in the bedroom and don't forget the champagne glasses.Trust me that works everytime!