How do you make a bedroom inviting for guests?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you make a bedroom inviting for guests?

Bedroom.jpg

Hello everyone,

Before you start hosting, I'm sure many hosts look around their guests bedroom and think — would I like to stay here? This way you can see how welcoming it is for your guests.  

If it was an empty room then the answer would probably be no, therefore how do you turn your spare room into a place for paying guests?  

There are a few things to think about, such as what furniture is needed, colour scheme and little extras.  Perhaps you started with a bed and worked outwards or added new things over time rather than all at once.

What are your tips for new hosts and your personal experiences with creating your guest bedroom?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

116 Replies 116
Kelly25
Level 3
Centennial, CO

I do a number of things, but one I have not seen on here yet, so as not to repeat, is I place a "breakfast in bed" tray on the bed with a printed household and local information sheet, my card- so that they can take my contact information with them to have on them for quick reference for Uber, directions, need to call me, etc. On the back of my card, it says "Your review and referrals are gratefully welcomed."

I also place a tiny little bud vase with one flower, and a small, good quality chocolate for each guest.

I have a carafe filled with our good local El Dorado Canyon water (that we buy in 5-gallon refillable jugs) and a pretty glass for each guest at the bedside in a pretty tray. Also on the tray is a metal "leaf" with the house key. They can then use the leaf to catch their earrings, change or other doo-dads. I provide a box of tissues at the bedside.

There is a bedside table on both sides of the bed. In the drawer, I have a bottle of foam earplugs and blackout eye masks that I purchase on Amazon. They are very economical, and a much-appreciated touch for sensitive to noise and light guests. I also stash hotel-sized soaps, lotion, shampoo and conditioner, etc in there, even though I buy big, excellent quality, eco-friendly bath and body products for them to use in the bathroom. They're still popular little "gifts."

Good lighting on either side of the bed is crucial. One is on a swivel arm for reading in bed.

I furnished the room with a few special art pieces, a beautiful comforter, a few low-water needs plants, and pretty decorative pillows that are sturdy and big enough to use as "prop up" pillows in bed. The breakfast in bed tray serves as a perfect vehicle for laptops, iPads, and doing a little work in bed since I don't have room in there for a full desk. I have a few lovely and carefully chosen pieces of art on the walls. (Vintage hand painted botanical wildflower prints.)

I provide a luggage rack so guests can unpack their things and have a place to have their luggage handy. Nice hangers are in the closet along with extra towels, blankets, and pillows. 

I provide current magazines (I used some unusable airline mileage points for magazine subscriptions) and lots of brochures of local attractions. I recently added an adult coloring book (no, not THAT kind of adult book! haha) and colored pencils, since I have taken up coloring. (It's so zen for me! My mind just empties as I concentrate on my masterpiece.)

@Kelly25  I felt compelled to look at your listing given your description.  You and I share the detailed level of hosting that we proudly share with our guests.  Sounds lovely!

Likewise, Linda! My pictures actually need an update, but you get the gist though. 😉 Your place is lovely!

Sounds like you have got the system down, Kelly. I do similarly with the chocolates, tissues and towels. I have extra full size pillows on the bed (something I, myself prefer), and I also supply adult coloring books/pencils as well as games and puzzles. In winter, when people tend to want to stay in more, I keep an on-going puzzle in the common area. One couple stayed up late into the night to finish the puzzle, laughing and joking the entire time. What a gift to hear the appreciation of guests!

Abigail72
Level 2
Llanfairfechan, United Kingdom

Our international guests love our charging block, which takes all varieties of plugs and USBs. Perfect when guests have more than one phone, plus a tablet or e-reader.

The room is quite small, so we have to be careful it doesn't look cluttered. There's all the basics - hanging space, bedside table, mirror, chair and a piece of art made from local driftwood (we're by the sea). Nothing without a purpose - a great motto.

Agree with the other posters that a thorough clean is essential. And freshly ironed sheets (white).

The bookshelf has local guides, books on birdwatching and walks, and collections of short stories - nothing worse that starting a book that you don't have time to finish!

There's also a nightlight in the corridor between the room and the bathroom, which we point out - so no need to put the main light on.

We're planning to replace the divan bed with one that has space underneath, so there's room for guests' cases and bags.

Melissa756
Level 1
Lakes Entrance, Australia

Apart from providing nice linen, comfortable furniture and a really clean space. I love to provide a local magazine or a local information booklet with a town map. I leave it in a nice little basket with snacks and my guests love reading and seeing what they can get up to for the day while enjoying the snacks. It also provides information I may have forgotten when communicating with the guests. 🙂

Elaine238
Level 2
Hopkinton, NH

When I started preparing to host, I went online to fb yard sales. You can select the region you would like to shop in and limit how far you are willing to go. I have found countless items this way that are in great condition, perfect for my needs and at very reasonable prices. This includes supplying mini-fridges and microwaves to some of the rooms. I also add a small touch of local, such as a reuseable shopping bag (required in some towns/states now) and a personalized note. If the room is big enough, a small sitting area is greatly appreciated, but even my smallest room with no sitting area is enjoyed regularly. 

I keep gourmet coffee beans in an espresso maker in the common area. Every cup is fresh. I have never had a complaint about the coffee! Also in the common area is a binder with pages of local places to eat, shop and recreate. It is used regularly.

Janine11
Level 2
Rochester, NY

I have always found that my guests really appreciate having a mirror in their room to get ready for the day. I agree with a few others on this forum, that as much as nice decorations make the room feel at home, it's more important to have a place to put my stuff. I always make sure there is a counter, or dresser which is free of anything for the guests to use for their things.

These are all great ideas! I'd like to add a note about closets. Get rid of and recycle all those old hangers. The ugly mismatched bend, funky, tangled and fall on the floor when touched ones. Buy a set of coated hangers, all one color, and these are very inexpensive at  dollar, or home textiles stores. Guests appreciate when you think of them as special. This is an inexpensive easy way to help.

Anthi-and-Yiannis0
Level 2
Heraklion, Greece

Open type closet, one or two colours in the color palette and nice led lighting.

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

So  many good ideas here - I'm going to list what I do already, and the ideas I'm going to steal.....

I have white sheets and towels so the guests can see that they are super clean.  I iron the pillow cases, fold and iron in the creases so they are obviously fresh!  Clean is really important and I dust, vacuum and  polish between each guest.

I like to add extras that are not in my listing photos, so that it is better than they were expecting.

Fresh flowers on the bedside table - I use alstromeria because: 1. they are only 3.99 a bunch at Trader Joe's. 2. they last for two weeks.  3. they don't smell much so fine for most people.

I have a bronze sculpture on the bedside table that is not in the photos for security reasons.  This is a guest room in my house so I go up to offer help with bringing bags down, (and to check up on the sculpture.)

My guest room decor is all about flowers!  Framed posters of Californian flowers, and floral bedspread.

Bottle of water on the bedside table.

Lots of hangers! Lint roller because I have a ginger cat.  Small bags they can use for laundry or trash.

I have many leaflets and guide books with ideas of what to do in the area. 

They have a drawer in the bathroom for their washing items.

These are the ideas I'm going to 'steal' from the posts above, thank you all for the great ideas!!

Glass jar of snacks.

Beach towel.

Luggage rack.

Postcards - I'll get vistaprint ones with a photo of my guest room and San Diego.

Fruit bowl, but in the kitchen, not the bedroom. A casual 'help yourself to fruit' comment.

Basket of bathroom/personal supplies in their drawer in the bathroom.

Colouring book and pencils - I'm not into this but it seems that many are!

World map on the wall with guests' names.

I'm also thinking of getting a 'Compass Card' for guest use. This is for the trolley and bus system in San Diego.  I could put $20 on it to get them started if they are staying for a week or more.

Sally713
Level 1
Ballston Spa, NY

Due to the pandemic this will be the first year we are asking guests (we rent by the week+ only) to bring their own bedding, kitchen and bath linens.  Any suggestions on making the beds look as attractive as possible since just a bed pad will be on the bed?