How do you make sure your listing smells nice?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you make sure your listing smells nice?

image8.jpg

Hi everyone, 

The way a house smells when you first step in through the door might not be something everyone actively thinks about, but it is really important. Our sense of smell is often used as an indicator of how clean or welcoming a place is. 

There are many ways to make sure your listing smells inviting: whether it’s open windows, scented cleaning products, essential oil diffusers, air fresheners, candles, or natural things such as potpourri or plants.

We’d love to hear your tips: how do you make sure your listing smells nice for your guests?

Thanks, 

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

47 Replies 47
Chastity3
Level 8
Orlando, FL

I open up those windows or sliding glass doors to air out the place. I do use essential oils air fresheners throughout my home and other property and have had no complaints so far. I use OdoBan Disinfectant to spray down couches, chairs, curtains, and other frabrics.

Laura976
Level 4
Newport, OR

Wow!  I come from such a different perspective!  
I hate it when I walk into a room and it is filled with fake chemical perfume smell!  I frequently stay in hotels for work and am always so disappointed that I can’t air that smell out by opening the windows. 
Smelly bedding is also awful and generally makes me itchy with my sensitive skin. I’m sure that I am not alone. 
Keep in mind that all those chemical cleaners are bad for your health and cancer causing. We use “Free and Clear” cleaners from Seventh Generation or Ecos. We are at the beach and do worry about the day when someone decides to boil crab in the house!  I guess that’s when we run out and buy an ozone machine!

@Laura976  Isn't a beach house supposed to smell like crab? :-))) I also hate fake chemical smells and even a lot of natural essential oils. What smells good to me might not smell good to my guests. My bedding and towels get washed in mild detergent meant for baby clothes and then hung on the line in the fresh air and sunshine. No fabric softeners or dryer sheets. I do wash the floors and the bathroom with a citrus smelling cleaner, but I don't do same day turnovers and make sure I have it all clean in time to air the room out with open doors and windows for several hours before a guest's arrival.

To me, a place smelling nice means it doesn't smell moldy or bad in any way. Marketing companies have managed to convince people that "fresh and clean" smell comes in a bottle.